Need info on becoming a UPS Driver in Louisville!

RoNiZZiE

My name is Ron and i have been working for UPS for 2 years in the Louisville Air District out on the Ramp, loading and unloading planes.

My goal for awhile has been to become a UPS package car driver. Not only because from my past experience i like delivery jobs, but because i am ready to start working in a full time position for UPS instead of the 4.5 hours a night i am getting.

I hear that if you bid on the job from where i work, the waiting list is somewhere around 15 years long..as in there are 15 years of seniority ahead of me! But i have heard from an actual driver that if you work at the UPS on Bluegrass Parkway (which i think is UPS freight?) that it can take as little as six months (only took him 4!) to become a part time driver and then later full time..

Can anybody help me out on this with some info? It is nearly impossible to talk to my full timer and thats why i have come here!

Thanks!
-Ron

U

uber

15 years sounds a little long. What your buddies talking about is most likely Saturday air.

RoNiZZiE

15 years sounds a little long. What your buddies talking about is most likely Saturday air.

Well where i work is in the main UPS air hub with thousands of employees...right now there are even 10 years of seniority ahead of me just to become a 6 hour part time worker. So i sort of believe it the 15 years.

RoNiZZiE

Getting a "definitive answer" is impossible with all of the variables associated with the question.

Someone who was in a similar position would be able to give me a pretty good answer. And it shouldn't be hard to find someone in this forum who works in the Louisville area as a driver who could give me a quality answer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Someone who was in a similar position would be able to give me a pretty good answer. And it shouldn't be hard to find someone in this forum who works in the Louisville area as a driver who could give me a quality answer.

The answer depends upon how many drivers are retiring, whether the economy remains stagnant or improves, how many people quit, etc. There is no way anyone can give you anything more than a ballpark figure. 15 years does sound high but I don't work at WorldPort so I have no clue.