Need some advice- Fuel Card

Arcfyre

Hello fellow UPSers.

I work in a small center that does not have fuel on-site. We are required to fuel the package cars during the day using fleet cards. I am a swing driver, recently out of qualification, one of 6 new drivers in the building. None of us, nor many of the other drivers who have been here for a while have been issued fuel cards. Instead, we are told to "make it work".

I brought this issue up with my on road sup a few days ago, and long story short, he told me to get lost. I asked around some more and found out that the cards are issued to the package cars, and not to the drivers. Since we have more drivers than cars, there are not enough cards to go around. Originally, the cards were supposed to stay in the cars, but every driver with their own route keeps their card on them, and the ones out of the spare cars were pocketed years ago.

I've been driving since October as seasonal, and have managed to memorize a card number, which the clerk at the station nearby will manually enter and allow me to get fuel. This trick works, but there are several problems with it. First of all, it restricts me to getting fuel at only one station. I can't get my air off, for example, and then get fuel before I start my route. This basically requires me to start every day with a lengthy fuel stop- during the time I am supposed to be running off air. (I say lengthy because I have to talk to the clerk to activate the pump as opposed to paying outside.)

In addition to that, since the card number I use "belongs" to another driver, I can only ever get fuel once per day- otherwise he will not be able to fuel his own car. This means that I will always bring my car back to the building with less than a full tank- something that irritates me because I know how annoying it is to start the day with an empty tank.

Long story short, one of these days I am going to have late air because I had to stop and get fuel. Is it worth talking to my center manager to see if he can do something about it, or should I just shut my mouth and keep doing what I'm doing? In my mind I am only asking for the tools to do my job efficiently. Is this worth the fight?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hello fellow UPSers.

I work in a small center that does not have fuel on-site. We are required to fuel the package cars during the day using fleet cards. I am a swing driver, recently out of qualification, one of 6 new drivers in the building. None of us, nor many of the other drivers who have been here for a while have been issued fuel cards. Instead, we are told to "make it work".

I brought this issue up with my on road sup a few days ago, and long story short, he told me to get lost. I asked around some more and found out that the cards are issued to the package cars, and not to the drivers. Since we have more drivers than cars, there are not enough cards to go around. Originally, the cards were supposed to stay in the cars, but every driver with their own route keeps their card on them, and the ones out of the spare cars were pocketed years ago.

I've been driving since October as seasonal, and have managed to memorize a card number, which the clerk at the station nearby will manually enter and allow me to get fuel. This trick works, but there are several problems with it. First of all, it restricts me to getting fuel at only one station. I can't get my air off, for example, and then get fuel before I start my route. This basically requires me to start every day with a lengthy fuel stop- during the time I am supposed to be running off air. (I say lengthy because I have to talk to the clerk to activate the pump as opposed to paying outside.)

In addition to that, since the card number I use "belongs" to another driver, I can only ever get fuel once per day- otherwise he will not be able to fuel his own car. This means that I will always bring my car back to the building with less than a full tank- something that irritates me because I know how annoying it is to start the day with an empty tank.

Long story short, one of these days I am going to have late air because I had to stop and get fuel. Is it worth talking to my center manager to see if he can do something about it, or should I just shut my mouth and keep doing what I'm doing? In my mind I am only asking for the tools to do my job efficiently. Is this worth the fight?
The lack of fuel cards is not your problem.

Quit using someone else's number and just go out and deliver as best you can until the car runs out of fuel, then call in and have them send a tow truck. Repeat as necessary. Eventually they will figure out that issuing you a fuel card is cheaper than sending out a tow truck to deliver fuel every day. Or maybe they wont. Either way, you are paid by the hour.

Camping Nana

I would argue with management for about a week to try to get a card. I would document time, date, and with whom I talked. After that, I'd be sitting beside the road waiting for them to send a tow truck with gas. JMHO I think after a couple of times like that they would see that a fuel card was issued.

Arcfyre

I threatened to do just that to my sup when he refused to issue me a card. He told me that it would cost me my job. I'm still very new to all this, having recently qualified. Is running out of fuel to make a point a firing offense? I'm also not out to make any enemies. I'm here to do my work and get paid, not really interested in making waves. Like I said before, I just want the tools to do my job.

barnyard

KTM rider
Running out of gas is a warning letter in my center. On the other hand, the fuel cards stay with the trucks.

When I get a truck that does not have a card, I tell the supe before I leave in the morning and either get the center's spare fuel card or I bring it back on empty and write it up on the DVIR.

If I start the day with less than 1/4 tank, I tell a supe before I leave that I will have to fuel and that I may have late air. The last time that happened, my air went to an air driver and the last day's driver got a verbal warning for not fueling. In my building, you cannot bring a PC back with less than 1/2 tank.

9.5er

We have a similar problem at my center. Gas cards used to stay in the PC. For some reason now we have more PC than gas cards. Management will not do anything about it. We have a gas station near the center that has one of the sups cards. (can be used multiple times a day) The cars that don't have a gas card has to use that one gas station every day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I threatened to do just that to my sup when he refused to issue me a card. He told me that it would cost me my job. I'm still very new to all this, having recently qualified. Is running out of fuel to make a point a firing offense? I'm also not out to make any enemies. I'm here to do my work and get paid, not really interested in making waves. Like I said before, I just want the tools to do my job.

Do not, by any means, follow the advice offered by Soberups or Camping Nana, especially considering that you are a newly-qualified driver.

I also work in a small center and we also fuel off-site. When we were first issued fuel cards we were told to carry them on our person. We ran in to some of the same problems that you described, such as the guys leaving them at home or misplacing them altogether. Our new center manager has since directed that they be kept in the cab of the pkg cars, which does make more sense. You are incorrect when you state the card can only be used once per day----this is simply not true.

Our center has one master card which can be used by any driver at any time. I would ask that they give you that card until such time as they are able to get you your own card. You are right in that you should be given the tools that you need to do the job----this includes your own fuel card.

9.5er

If I was a cover driver in a center and the regular guy did not leave me a full tank before he left on vacation, I would make sure it was on empty when I came back on Friday.
Trust me, I do. I have been know to only put a few gallons in at the PC just to get my through the day. I leave the PC just like I found it. If I start with a full tank that is what I leave in it.

Upstate, Our gas cards can only be used twice a day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I was a cover driver in a center and the regular guy did not leave me a full tank before he left on vacation, I would make sure it was on empty when I came back on Friday.

I always make sure to fuel up before I go on vacation and my cover drivers know that they had best return the favor. They also know to clean up after themselves before I come back.

We have one cover driver who never fuels his pkg car.

Arcfyre

I was told that the cards can be used twice per day. That means I can use "my" number once, and the actual owner can use it once. I absolutely refuse to "burn" him, as he is in many ways my mentor and I consider myself fortunate to have his card number to begin with.

AKCoverMan

Running out on of fuel even on purpose is not a firing offense. But be smart, ODS the center early in the day that you don't have enough fuel and you have not been issued a fuel card. Let them handle it. "Make it work" is no answer and not a directive you need to follow. A center manager or OC will have to drive out with their card and fuel you. If they don't then stop at a gas station when on empty and tell them where you are, let them come rescue you while you sit on the clock.

This is clearly their operational issue and the solution is extremely easy. You have done your part by letting them know the problem exists. Hate to see something as simple as having a way to fuel your car end up causing service failures but if it's the only way to get their attention so be it.

But stop driving at a gas station before running out. That way they can't blame you for a tow bill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was told that the cards can be used twice per day. That means I can use "my" number once, and the actual owner can use it once. I absolutely refuse to "burn" him, as he is in many ways my mentor and I consider myself fortunate to have his card number to begin with.

How many times is your mentor fueling per day?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've been stuck way too many times paying for fuel. Guess what I spent hours one night trying to get fuel because I had access to 2 gas stations. One wouldn't take American Express the other wouldn't take just a card number. Hours later I worked a 14 hour day and had missed pieces. Needless to say I was issued my own fuel card a few days later.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Must suck to deal with all of this. Our car wash guys add oil, fuel them up, wash them and put them in their spot for the next day.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck