Need some advice, too many people pissed off at me.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
35 minutes ?
Really ?
And you are asking for advice ?
You waited 35 min for a pickup that didn't have anything and are searching for answers ?
To be fair, the sup said to wait an additional 10. I would have hauled right after that though.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You really can't win. You try to train customers and you get customer complaints. Everyone gets to treat us like ass but we can't do anything. I'm through talking to customers.
We got a lecture about explaining to a customer we cannot wait 15 minutes for a signature. A guy waited in line to get a sig while everyone ahead was buying lotto. Seriously a good clerk will just call us to the front, quickly sign and no one has a problem. Then there are those who like the power. Depending on what it is and how my day is going, and most of my places are good, but if they are deliberately annoying me, I just scan a notice, No adult, lol, I wait 3 minutes. If they are involved in something of importance I will wait, such as at a doctor office. And I did it with a supervisor, and he said that was good, LOL.

oldngray

nowhere special
We got a lecture about explaining to a customer we cannot wait 15 minutes for a signature. A guy waited in line to get a sig while everyone ahead was buying lotto. Seriously a good clerk will just call us to the front, quickly sign and no one has a problem. Then there are those who like the power. Depending on what it is and how my day is going, and most of my places are good, but if they are deliberately annoying me, I just scan a notice, No adult, lol, I wait 3 minutes. If they are involved in something of importance I will wait, such as at a doctor office. And I did it with a supervisor, and he said that was good, LOL.

There will always be those a-holes who make you wait just because they can. 5 seconds to sign but they pretend they are too busy and will start taking care of a customer or talk on the phone while you are standing there waiting.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Our lecture is, "we waited 15 minutes, and then told the clerk, we would not wait that long again. So after waiting, then you have to pi** off a customer" And we are not to tell people that. Duh. Talk about conflicting directives.

oldngray

nowhere special
Customer will call in a complaint and claim you were rude because you wouldn't wait or you missed the pickup so you have to go back and UPS will always believe the customer and never support the driver.

Today I was given some pick ups that I've done before without a problem. When I got to my first stop (Nordstrom), I knock on the dock door and a woman answers saying that she's going to get the person in charge so I can pick up the air. I wait for about 10 minutes, nothing. I call up my supervisor, explain the situation and ask him if I can just leave, but he tells me to wait another 10 minutes. Nothing. I head into the store, explain the situation, wait about 15 more minutes only to find out that all of the dock employees are off and there aren't any airs to pick up. Needless to say I was behind on the rest of my pick ups. I wouldn't be writing this if a problem hadn't arisen. My last pick up was a UPS Store that had to be picked up between 2 and 3. It's the last pick up on the log despite being the only UPS store that has to be done before 3. I got there at 3:15 and see that the store is closed. So I called my supervisor when I saw the clerk open the door, throw all the envelopes on the ground and then close the door. I go to grab the envelopes and as I'm picking them up, the clerk opens the door and says, "I close at 3!" before slamming it shut and disappearing inside.

I was wondering how I could have handled the Nordstrom stop. Clearly I wasted way too much time there. I would have fine with leaving after the first 10 minutes, but I don't want that to come back to bite me in the ass.

I've also considered that I should have broken from the listing order of the pick ups and done the UPS store that closed at 3 first despite that throwing a wrench in running the route. As long as I make service, I can't be chewed out for not adhering to the order on the paper right?

I want to say that this is an isolated incident but it's not. As soon as I became eligible to drive I was put into cover despite being told (and having requested) that I was going to be an air driver first to gain experience. Very long story short, I wasn't ready and pretty much all the pick up customers on that route hated me because I was struggling. One of them was a multimillion dollar account that threatened to switch to FedEX until my trainer and someone from corporate went to go smooth things over.

And during peak, I can recall three separate occasions where I was subjected to people's rage. Two for parking incidents and the last one I'm not sure what caused that. This post is long, so I can elaborate more in a later post if need be.

I can understand customer frustrations when I fail to make service. I've analyzed all these incidents, some I've been able to learn from in retrospect and have applied what I've learned to become better. However, some have left me just baffled. Is it normal to get so much hate on the job? If so, how do you guys deal with it?

A part of me wants to show up at that UPS store at 1:55 the next time I have to go back. Have him chew me out for being there before 2, go back to my truck, walk back in at 2:01, tell him I'm picking up the air at that moment and won't be coming back that day, and then dropping the end of day on the floor if he has one. However, I'm pretty sure that unlike the UPS store clerk, I wouldn't be able get away with that.

It's nice that I'm developing thicker skin, but it also seems like bull:censored2: that people can act so abusive and I can't do anything about it.

Smile!!! Kindness kills that hateful spirit of someone else!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There will always be those a-holes who make you wait just because they can. 5 seconds to sign but they pretend they are too busy and will start taking care of a customer or talk on the phone while you are standing there waiting.
Two people taking care of 1 customer at a welding shop the other day. I come up front and they say just a minute. I figured ok they are almost done. About a minute later it was evident the customer had no clue what they needed and the employees weren't helping much. I said hey guys I just a signature real quick.

One of them signed but the other one started yelling at me we don't have time for a signature blah blah blah. I so wanted to say you don't have 5 seconds really?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The OP is new to the pickup routine.
1)Always be in control, at all times.
2)Get to each pickup no earlier than 15 minutes before the commit time. Better to be early than late.
3)Be friendly but firm when asking for their pickups.
4)If they are not ready, tell them you are on a tight schedule and can come back later if needed.
5)Always be in control (Repeated this because it's that important)

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Two people taking care of 1 customer at a welding shop the other day. I come up front and they say just a minute. I figured ok they are almost done. About a minute later it was evident the customer had no clue what they needed and the employees weren't helping much. I said hey guys I just a signature real quick.

One of them signed but the other one started yelling at me we don't have time for a signature blah blah blah. I so wanted to say you don't have 5 seconds really?
I've had stuff like this happen over the years. No time for a signature? No problem brother! Refuse it as didn't want and watch how quick they sign in the future

Brownslave688

The OP is new to the pickup routine.
1)Always be in control, at all times.
2)Get to each pickup no earlier than 15 minutes before the commit time. Better to be early than late.
3)Be friendly but firm when asking for their pickups.
4)If they are not ready, tell them you are on a tight schedule and can come back later if needed.
5)Always be in control (Repeated this because it's that important)

Friendly but firm is crap. You really can't be both. Those are phrases management like to throw around.

I'm sorry customers but ups has me on such a tight schedule that if each one of you wastes 30 seconds of my time that at least an hour later I'm getting off. My time is worth a lot to me so when you waste it I'm not happy.

Brownslave688

I've had stuff like this happen over the years. No time for a signature? No problem brother! Refuse it as didn't want and watch how quick they sign in the future
Unfourtunatly those types of things leads to customer complaints for me and then gets you pulled into the office.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Friendly but firm is crap. You really can't be both. Those are phrases management like to throw around.

I'm sorry customers but ups has me on such a tight schedule that if each one of you wastes 30 seconds of my time that at least an hour later I'm getting off. My time is worth a lot to me so when you waste it I'm not happy.

"Hi, How're you doing ? Do you have any pickups for me ? You're not ready? OK, do you need a few more minutes? No, well my last pickup is at the UPS Store at 3 so I can come back after that. "

That's called Friendly and Firm. Not sure how you interact with customers but those pickups pay for our salary. To each their own.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just love it when a customer asks if I can come back. I usually tell them "sure, but it might be after 5:00." Then they will whine "but we go home then." Look, I'm doing them a favor so the least they could do is work with me.

Overpaid Union Thug

I future them for the next day if it comes down to it. But usually the customer ends up finding the time that they claimed they didn't have before when they see me starting to leave. Or they suddenly decide that a UPS driver with a delivery isn't a customer that has to wait in line anymore.

Brownslave688

"Hi, How're you doing ? Do you have any pickups for me ? You're not ready? OK, do you need a few more minutes? No, well my last pickup is at the UPS Store at 3 so I can come back after that. "

That's called Friendly and Firm. Not sure how you interact with customers but those pickups pay for our salary. To each their own.
I'm sorry my last pick up is after you close so I can't come back.

My conversation would probably go more like. Well your scheduled pick up time was 10 minutes ago and I have a lot of places to be so I will pick up what you have and you can drop the rest off at the ups store if you need to.

clean hairy

I was in that position some time ago. I was next in line, (off the clock not in any type of UPS attire) UPS driver comes in, the Clerk tells him to go to the end of the line.
Clerk asked how I could be helped.
I told the Clerk "You have 2 choices, you can sign for the UPS package, or I will have the Driver give me the board and package and you will sign it for me"
"Either way, this line does not move until you take care of the UPS Driver, what will it be?"
Clerk has the Driver step forward and signs.
I then told the Clerk "you now have 3 more in line because you could not take 5 seconds to sign, show consideration to others!"
Gotta try to take care of our own!

sportsjock

I'm sorry my last pick up is after you close so I can't come back.

My conversation would probably go more like. Well your scheduled pick up time was 10 minutes ago and I have a lot of places to be so I will pick up what you have and you can drop the rest off at the ups store if you need to.

sportsjock

I had to break Best Buy and a Hospital Pharmacy of not being ready with their picks up when I arrive.

Customers that don't have time to sign. I just refuse it and keep it moving. When I show up the next time no problems.

Brownslave688

How bout a customer who has receiving across the street from the retail area. Only 1-2 days a week is anyone in receiving. The other days you walk across the street wait until they done with all of their customers. Then someone will walk over to receiving to inspect the packages and sign.