Need some advice, too many people pissed off at me.

Pkgcar1988

Had a pkg one day for a Chinese restaurant, with some guys name on it. Took it in and they looked at it and said " he not here right now". I said well you can sign for it and give to him when he gets here. She says " me not sign" I said ok , sheeted as refused and left. Two days later some guy comes running up to me from said restaurant and wants to know where pkg is. Told him no one would sign for it so sent it back. He was unhappy and called in a concern but I told center manager what happened and said that's what he would have done also.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was in that position some time ago. I was next in line, (off the clock not in any type of UPS attire) UPS driver comes in, the Clerk tells him to go to the end of the line.
Clerk asked how I could be helped.
I told the Clerk "You have 2 choices, you can sign for the UPS package, or I will have the Driver give me the board and package and you will sign it for me"
"Either way, this line does not move until you take care of the UPS Driver, what will it be?"
Clerk has the Driver step forward and signs.
I then told the Clerk "you now have 3 more in line because you could not take 5 seconds to sign, show consideration to others!"
Gotta try to take care of our own!
I'll tell ya...the customer counter is no better. I had to ship something out a few weeks ago right after Christmas. I got done with preload...and got online at the counter a few min after it opened at 830. 3 customers ahead of me, and 4 behind me....and only one clerk. I'm standing there maybe 5 minutes and a driver walks in in uniform with a package to send out. We acknowledge each other...and I asked him if he wanted to switch places in line...I can hear the.guy behind me start to open his mouth to balk. Driver says are you sure? Yeah man, I'm not in a rush and you gotta get to work, it's no problem. I gave the customer behind me a nice, long glare as I walked to the end of the line.

Last edited:

Boulevard859710

Sounds like the Nordstrom stop caused it all. Next time dont wait so long and tell them why you can't. Most people have no idea what we go through and don't appreciate favors. Some customers will take advantage of you if you let them. Next time, find out what time they close and come back exactly 1 min before closing and make them wait on you to load up. When the inconvenience is on them, priorities change.
That's what I would say. I had a customer last week that wanted me to wait because they weren't ready. It was 4:55 and I another air pickup I had to get to before 5. All you have to do is explain why you can't wait and they usually understand.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You know you screwed up and what you did wrong which is 80% of the battle.
Never wait longer than 5 minutes or so at a pickup without checking status and conveying a sense of urgency and that you have other businesses which will be closing and you're on a tight schedule. Wait another 5 minutes and politely but firmly advise you have to leave.

If you know where you're going on a route you're covering, break off for businesses you know will be closing or need a pickup by a certain time.

BrownTexas

Why do you all tell them you will come back if needed? I cover routes everyday. I go to the pu in the 15 minute window we have. If they are not ready, I simply tell them "I'm sorry. I have other pickups. I can't wait because you weren't ready. If I did that at every stop I would never be finished." I then leave. If they insist I let them know where my last pu is and they are happy to meet me there. But I will not wait. If I'm instructed to go back then so be it.

TheKid

Look , don't get me wrong , I have been on my route for a while and live one town away from my route. I have a great relationship with my customers and cater to their needs , but . . . . . . . . 35 MINUTES ! ! ! ! ! !

watdaflock?

I'd start prank calling the clerk who threw the envelopes on the ground.
Maybe even leave her a burning paper bag of dog poo.

brostalss

When doing a pick up and an employee who normally doesn't handle picks ups opens the door, you stay with them. If they say they have to go get a manager or supervisor, go with them. Ask where that person in charge of handling pick ups is at. You make it to where they can't ignore you, and since you are following them, you will get priority until the pick up is completed.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do your pickups in compliance, if you get to a pickup and they aren't ready, then leave. If they ask you to wait because they aren't ready, you just explain that you have other pickups to do and can't be delayed because they aren't ready at their pickup time.

See ya tomorrow!

As far as what you did....yes, waiting 35 minutes is WAY too long. Nordstrom (being a retail store) will close later than a place like the UPS store.

So, leave Nordstrom, swing by the UPS store, grab their stuff and go back to Nordstrom and check back in.

SCV good to go sir.

Thanks for the advice all. I appreciate it.

And for the record, the UPS store clerk that threw the envelopes was an old man, not a woman (not that it matters).

clean hairy

Went into the store to pick up a few things, only 2 Cashiers, one is tied up with a person trying to decide which lottery ticket to buy.
The other has a guy debating the price on his beer, he thinks it should be lower.
One of the other guys (not one of us) walks in with a delivery and is told to go to the back of the line.
I spoke up and told the cashiers "this guy has a scedule to stick to, if you do not sign, it means you are refusing and it will be sent back, which do you want to do?"
You can guess which they elected.
I walked out with the kid and explained not to let them push him around like that.

clean hairy

I'll tell ya...the customer counter is no better. I had to ship something out a few weeks ago right after Christmas. I got done with preload...and got online at the counter a few min after it opened at 830. 3 customers ahead of me, and 4 behind me....and only one clerk. I'm standing there maybe 5 minutes and a driver walks in in uniform with a package to send out. We acknowledge each other...and I asked him if he wanted to switch places in line...I can hear the.guy behind me start to open his mouth to balk. Driver says are you sure? Yeah man, I'm not in a rush and you gotta get to work, it's no problem. I gave the customer behind me a nice, long glare as I walked to the end of the line.
Managment trying to save $ at the expense of unhappy Customers.

DSM515

Customer will call in a complaint and claim you were rude because you wouldn't wait or you missed the pickup so you have to go back and UPS will always believe the customer and never support the driver.
I bet if someone punched you in the face it would our fault and get fired lol

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I had to break Best Buy and a Hospital Pharmacy of not being ready with their picks up when I arrive.

Customers that don't have time to sign. I just refuse it and keep it moving. When I show up the next time no problems.

Some customers are like puppies, aren't they?

giphy.gif

Indecisi0n

I would have taken a picture of all the envelopes on the ground at UPS store and said this will make a great picture for corporate. UPS store people are not employees so don't take :censored2: from them. From now on I would arrive at that pickup until 2:59 everyday.

MassWineGuy

Wow, that's a long time to wait. Don't know about UPS official policy, but my mgr at FedEx told me "We don't wait." If a customer says something is ready for pickup by a certain time and they're it's not ready, leave. You have an obligation to the other customers who did what they were supposed to do.

I would have told them I can wait two minutes and leave after that.

4)If they are not ready, tell them you are on a tight schedule and can come back later if needed.
5)Always be in control (Repeated this because it's that important)

Great points. But I to no. 4 I would say instead that I can come back later if I have time.