Need Some Advice..

haTTrick

So today I asked my SUP (full-time) one if I could switch from loader to unloader. He didn't give me a yes or no for a while after explaining in many ways to persuade me not to switch. He said if everyone came up to me and ask that I'd have to move everybody. I simply said "I'm not everybody" So he blah blah ranted on about excuses which I thought they were about how come he couldn't or can't. Then he said "Its possible I can, then no, then some lecture" Then he asked my reasons and I simply stated some reasons and then said honestly my reasons don't matter. After 25 minutes of him trying to figure out what to say I completely wanted a yes or a no. Then he says "he" invested in 1,000$ to train me and to pay this person to train me which he didn't UPS did *I thought in my mind* I simply stated I believe loading is not for me, and I'd like to try the unload and experience a different department of UPS.

I thought I had the right to do such a thing which I was told by employees I could inside my HUB.

westin

its very simple, if someone with less seniority is doing any job you want to do, then you can do it. Senority rights are protected in the contract. It might require a grievance to let em know your serious but in the end, it'll be done. If you dont have the senority, then a little persistence is your only move.

U

uber

its very simple, if someone with less seniority is doing any job you want to do, then you can do it. Senority rights are protected in the contract. It might require a grievance to let em know your serious but in the end, it'll be done. If you dont have the senority, then a little persistence is your only move.

Not true where I am. Senority only comes into play if its a 'skilled' job.

westin

As was told by your sup or a bad steward. Senority is the ole mighty, look it up in the ole national contract.

Buck Fifty

Only the top 10% in each classification for part-timers. classification bids should be posted twice a year. Very tough to control. You want to go to unload, make mistakes.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
While you can't displace anyone, you have the right to switch to the inbound before they hire someone off the street (once you have your seniority). Your boss will hate you and probably make you file a grievance, but it's possible. Although, honestly, I don't know why you'd want to switch unless you're just trying to get a pickoff/sort aisle spot and get out of a truck (better chance of it on a sort aisle over an outbound PD pickoff).

JonFrum

Below is the national language UPS agreed to, even if your Sup didn't get the memo.

Note that you can select any open job. But you can't bump someone out of it.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
[. . .]
The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.