Need some advice

fedx.drivr

Hello all. As a new "casual courier", i am finding myself on a different route almost everyday that i am unfamiliar with. Does anyone know of a iphone app that you can put all your addresses in, and it spits out the most efficent order to do them in? Or any other advice to make my day less stressful? When I am out there, I am literally running from truck to door and back to save time so my productivity number is acceptable. There has got to be a easier way to handle a unfamiliar route.

STFXG

Get maps of your area and have them laminated. Then plot out your addresses on the maps and route it that way. That's old school but it works until you learn the areas.

sjh

Yeah, there is no easy way. I pitched the idea to my husband of having some sort of scanning gps that can upload your manifest and give verbal turn-by-turns...he said no way. Haha. FedEx would consider that proprietary info and ban it, or figure out some way to do it first. Just hang in there. You'll eventually start doing repeat areas and it'll get easier. And if your area is small enough, the laminated maps is a good start. My husband has actually done similar stuff for his drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
Back when I was a new driver, I would get a route manifest for a previous week on a Friday. I would look it over and ride it on my motorcycle. It helped me have an idea where streets were and more importantly, I understood the numbering. During the winter, we would put the family in the car and 'Sunday drive' a route. Seems stupid, but it made for a relaxing 'family time' afternoon.

Until you get area knowledge, you will struggle. You can either look at it as an additional challenge and rise to it or get bogged down by it. I have seen it go both ways.

!Retired!

I'm assuming you're a Ground driver. Express has DRA and they give you a map of the most efficient (sic) way of running the route. Fnd out if Ground can do the same. Or maybe bbsam can answer that. If not....STFXG's idea works well also, it's just time consuming.

whenIgetthere

Not all Express stations have DRA yet. As suggested above, get maps laminated and you can mark the streets before you leave with a non-permanent marker. In my station, the swings are all given a map book with the pages already laminated, saves a few bucks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hello all. As a new "casual courier", i am finding myself on a different route almost everyday that i am unfamiliar with. Does anyone know of a iphone app that you can put all your addresses in, and it spits out the most efficent order to do them in? Or any other advice to make my day less stressful? When I am out there, I am literally running from truck to door and back to save time so my productivity number is acceptable. There has got to be a easier way to handle a unfamiliar route.

Using a GPS system will get you fired if they catch you. Just do the best you can until you get proficient. It isn't your problem if you get sent out "blind"...it's management's. As far as making an extra effort by pre-running the route or doing anything over and above just reading the map...don't do it. Put it on THEM.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm assuming you're a Ground driver. Express has DRA and they give you a map of the most efficient (sic) way of running the route. Fnd out if Ground can do the same. Or maybe bbsam can answer that. If not....STFXG's idea works well also, it's just time consuming.

HD has that, Ground does not. Ground does, however, have a system called Vision for the loaders that can print out very, very good maps. I prefer this. HD drivers seem to lean too much for too long on the plotting program. It is a decent tool for learning though.

sjh

Using a GPS system will get you fired if they catch you.

Ummm...says who? A GPS system is very inefficient for turn-by-turns, but not allowed? That sounds absurd, considering we put them in the trucks of all our new drivers. Maybe it's just an Express rule?

fedx.drivr

I'm express in Canada. My main problem is the street numbers(what block the address is on). I just downloaded a app for my iPhone where I can input all the addresses, and it will display them all on a map, and then I can decide my best route. Hopefuly this will help. I won't use it as GPS to give directions, just to map out the most efficient route. By the way, is it true you could be fired for using GPS? Seems strange to me.

whenIgetthere

Ummm...says who? A GPS system is very inefficient for turn-by-turns, but not allowed? That sounds absurd, considering we put them in the trucks of all our new drivers. Maybe it's just an Express rule?

Using any electronic device, or even reading a map while driving can get you terminated at express. If you have an accident while doing any of these (including eating or drinking) while driving an express vehicle WILL get you terminated.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm assuming they haven't trained you for any of these routes either. Is that right?

sjh

Using any electronic device, or even reading a map while driving can get you terminated at express. If you have an accident while doing any of these (including eating or drinking) while driving an express vehicle WILL get you terminated.

Not being rude, but duh. Nothing is allowed while driving: GPS, phone, scanner...at least in California. But you're allowed to use a GPS in general. He made it sound like a blanket statement that might confuse a new driver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not being rude, but duh. Nothing is allowed while driving: GPS, phone, scanner...at least in California. But you're allowed to use a GPS in general. He made it sound like a blanket statement that might confuse a new driver.

As whenIgetthere said, using any electronic device while driving will get you fired at Express. What don't you understand here?

HomeDelivery

we use it when the vehicle is stopped, not while in motion...

as for ground, they do have the same system ~ but it takes too much work for the warehouse level to scan & sequence it in their system (i had them do that when i covered a few times). then i look at all the plots & either follow the turn-by-turns or throw them away & go with straight-lining.

i had 75% of my load that were proflowers, berries, and other mommy's day presents today, so drop-n-run until 2000. if i followed my turn-by-turns, i would be out until 2300