Need some advice

Kathy B

I am a 30 year old woman from Illinois and I am looking at joining UPS as a package delivery driver. A friend of the family who has been with the company told me about the job and he said I would be a good fit. He drives the trucks. I do not have any experience driving those kinds of vehicles but I am very interested and I have several years of experience loading and moving heavy boxes. I love physical jobs. The problem is that the locations in Illinois are hiring for full time seasonal drivers. My friend told me that if I work hard they would most likely hire me permanently because I have the added bonus that I am a woman amongst men. What do you guys think? Is it hard to learn how to drive the package delivery trucks? Right now I am working at a company making $45,000 a year and I want a change.

I can tell you the North Illinois District is hiring 400+ package car drivers as we've been told at several meetings. The biggest trick as far as the vehicle would be knowing how to drive a stick shift.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can tell you southern Illinois is also hiring a lot and they can't find part timers to fill the positions. Your chances of getting in off the street are as good as they have been in a very long time.

The Driver

I drive.
I am a 30 year old woman from Illinois and I am looking at joining UPS as a package delivery driver. A friend of the family who has been with the company told me about the job and he said I would be a good fit. He drives the trucks. I do not have any experience driving those kinds of vehicles but I am very interested and I have several years of experience loading and moving heavy boxes. I love physical jobs. The problem is that the locations in Illinois are hiring for full time seasonal drivers. My friend told me that if I work hard they would most likely hire me permanently because I have the added bonus that I am a woman amongst men. What do you guys think? Is it hard to learn how to drive the package delivery trucks? Right now I am working at a company making $45,000 a year and I want a change.

I got hired off the street. Love it right now, I like the adrenaline rush and there's never a dull moment. Here's what you should do: Apply, call HR and tell them you're interested in an interview, learn how to drive a manual, get the proper license for the state you live in to drive a commercial truck for UPS, don't hit anything on your observation drive... You'll be fine. Hope it works out for you.

Go Brown Or Go Home!

I can tell you the North Illinois District is hiring 400+ package car drivers as we've been told at several meetings. The biggest trick as far as the vehicle would be knowing how to drive a stick shift.
I think thats more for seasonal though. They have the drivers wanted signs all over my hub. I talked to hr and thats what they told me that its seasonal. friend/T perm is still a wait.

using morse code

Kathy B

Thanks guys. I am still a little weary because I wouldn't know for sure if I would be full-time and I need a full-time job. I have heard many great things about the company though and I do not mind working hard for my money.

twoeddies1

Go for it! The North Atlantic District is also hiring a ton of drivers of the street. On the observation driver try not to be nervous, honk at everything and like the other member said don't hit anything. Good luck

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, Kathy B, if you read any of the forums on here you read plenty of info on UPS. Some good things, some bad things. I just retired after 38 years with the company. You have to wade through a snowstorm of BS every day to do your job, but you meet a lot of good people, and it can be very rewarding. I'm sure it will be the hardest job you have been involved in. Being a female in a male dominated workplace can work to your advantage in some respects. Best of luck to you.

Kathy B

I believe that people who get into jobs without really realizing how physically demanding they are, are the ones who complain. So far the positives outweigh the negatives by far. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks again for all of the advice :)

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My friend told me that if I work hard they would most likely hire me permanently because I have the added bonus that I am a woman amongst men. What do you guys think?

A female seasonal driver said the same thing last Christmas. She was telling everyone who would listen that she was going permanent because they needed more women... The next month she disappeared with the rest of the casuals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ours disappeared from our center but was hired at another center. Funny thing is she was multiple hours over everyday.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
This job is the best and worst at the same time. I have a decent route with nice customers but the hours are insane. I like calling my own shots but with technology this is becoming more difficult. Glad I got three years left so I can hang up my browns.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This job is the best and worst at the same time. I have a decent route with nice customers but the hours are insane. I like calling my own shots but with technology this is becoming more difficult. Glad I got three years left so I can hang up my browns.
Hang them up....or burn them? lol

Go Brown Or Go Home!

Heres were im confused, how are there so many outside hires? Doesnt the contract state its a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire? Theres no way that there isnt a ton of inside p/ters waiting to go driving.

sent using smoke signals