Need some advice...

MsDee

Well I believe everything will work out in your favor! You didn't hit anyone and they know it had rain it's the acts of nature! I'm sure they won't hold this against U! Keep us inform

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The only good thing is that my supervisor likes me and told me he was gonna try and talk to the main boss for me and try to not have me disqualified. I'm gonna show up early Monday morning and talk to the center manager... Just sucks because Ive been doing really well and don't wanna lose my opportunity over this one mistake. I'll be praying all weekend for sure. Thanks.
It probably depends on how badly your center needs drivers....but if you don't get DQ'd and make book...remember...all it takes is one little mistake to earn yourself an unpaid vacation.

barnyard

KTM rider
The mistake you made was listening to the judgement of the consignee. The road you were on was perfectly fine for a passenger car, which is what they are familiar with, they have NO experience with a package car, that is where you have to use your judgement.

The instant you saw there were problems, you should have stopped and said, "Not going any farther." and back out. Drivers that work in areas where it snows do it every single day in the winter.

A bunch of years ago, I called a consignee and told them I could see their place and that if they wanted their package, to drive to where I was, otherwise we would bring it the next day. She called me all kinds of names and suggested that I did not know how to drive. I watched her get in her car, get it stuck in her driveway, then get on a quad and get that stuck too.

and before a know it all chimes in, I was more than a 1/2 mile away and I was not walking in 2 foot drifts to get a package to them.

Another mistake you made was calling tow services on your own. Never, ever do that. Had you been successful, it would have gotten back to your center, you would have been fired. Always call your center and let them tell you what they want you to do. I have been stuck and had a farmer pull me out, but my center knew about it.

All that said, in my center you would be DQd. The ruts in the driveway are going to constitute an accident. Even though we are hiring all kinds of drivers, we just had one DQd in my center for breaking a mirror on a tree branch. Way more minor than getting stuck and needing a tow.

AKCoverMan

I guess we are just lucky.. Getting stuck has never been considered an "accident" here. We have chains and traction strips but eventually I think everyone gets stuck sometime.

I have probably had five tow outs over the years. With one exception I always signed the tow bill went on and finished the route and never heard another word.

The exception was a day of snow and freezing rain and I was delivering in a nice but hilly neighborhood. Roads were getting very icy, one of those days where they close school and lots of places tell folks to go home or stay home but we are delivering.
I was running chains so I could get up the slippery hills in my one wheel drive P-500. Chains help to move but don't do so much for stopping you on ice. On a long downslope I started sliding, braking action was gone. The road ended a a T intersection with no view of cross traffic due to trees.

I quickly decided it was best to not reach that intersection and used what steering control I had to put her in the snow berm. Tow truck came and got stuck too, had to winch off of trees to get me free.

I told center me and my remaing fifty some stops were slowly making our way back to center, I was done. Center asked me if I could just del flat streets and EC rest I said no, not safe to be out here anymore today.

Never heard a word next day on that one either.

barnyard

KTM rider
I guess we are just lucky.. Getting stuck has never been considered an "accident" here. We have chains and traction strips but eventually I think everyone gets stuck sometime.

We are not charged for getting stuck, unless there is damage to the driveway and the owner wants it fixed. Usually happens during the spring melt.

Hood83

The mistake you made was listening to the judgement of the consignee. The road you were on was perfectly fine for a passenger car, which is what they are familiar with, they have NO experience with a package car, that is where you have to use your judgement.

The instant you saw there were problems, you should have stopped and said, "Not going any farther." and back out. Drivers that work in areas where it snows do it every single day in the winter.

A bunch of years ago, I called a consignee and told them I could see their place and that if they wanted their package, to drive to where I was, otherwise we would bring it the next day. She called me all kinds of names and suggested that I did not know how to drive. I watched her get in her car, get it stuck in her driveway, then get on a quad and get that stuck too.

and before a know it all chimes in, I was more than a 1/2 mile away and I was not walking in 2 foot drifts to get a package to them.

Another mistake you made was calling tow services on your own. Never, ever do that. Had you been successful, it would have gotten back to your center, you would have been fired. Always call your center and let them tell you what they want you to do. I have been stuck and had a farmer pull me out, but my center knew about it.

All that said, in my center you would be DQd. The ruts in the driveway are going to constitute an accident. Even though we are hiring all kinds of drivers, we just had one DQd in my center for breaking a mirror on a tree branch. Way more minor than getting stuck and needing a tow.
I may have posted wrong... I did call my center first they are the ones that came out and towed the vehicle... I thought about calling a tow company myself but didn't do it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Whether a tow gets charged as an accident depends on the flavor of the month and what center it occurs in. It could go either way.

Hood83

Guess I wasn't one of the lucky ones that catches a break. I got dq and charged with an accident. Nothing worse than trying to do the right thing and get stuck do to the weather conditions and now having to start back at square one because of it. Fml.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Guess I wasn't one of the lucky ones that catches a break. I got dq and charged with an accident. Nothing worse than trying to do the right thing and get stuck do to the weather conditions and now having to start back at square one because of it. Fml.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That sucks..everyone screws up....but start over with a lesson learned under your belt....that's important. Good luck.

Hood83

Yeah def a lesson learned but I don't think after getting this far I can start back from square one again just because it rained for three days and my whole route is on a damn mountain with mud everywhere. I was trying to do the right thing. And now I'm screwed because of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yeah def a lesson learned but I don't think after getting this far I can start back from square one again just because it rained for three days and my whole route is on a damn mountain with mud everywhere. I was trying to do the right thing. And now I'm screwed because of it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Are you a PTer trying to qualify for FT driving or are you new?

Hood83

I've been part time a few years and finally started driving.. I was a couple days from completing my 30 day packet.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've been part time a few years and finally started driving.. I was a couple days from completing my 30 day packet.

Sent using BrownCafe App
In my building...if you're DQ'd for an accident...you have to wait a year to try again. If they're letting you start over right away....that's not such a bad thing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sent using BrownCafe App
Such BS. I've seen people continue driving for less than that. If you were on the "fast track" to management you would probably still be driving even if you had not reported the accident but were still found out. It happens.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Should I talk w a union rep and see what my options are or just say screw it and go back to the hub?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Couldn't hurt. Wait....You met with management this morning and didn't have your steward there with you? Always ask for your steward...especially when it involves an accident or potential discipline.

OPTION3

Couldn't hurt. Wait....You met with management this morning and didn't have your steward there with you? Always ask for your steward...especially when it involves an accident or potential discipline.
yup......and then if they don’t give you a steward....Don’t fight it.....tell them whatever they want to hear.....then file that your weingarten right were violated....and attach every grievance you can to that first grievance.......It’s BEAUTIFUL. I’ve done this....They will not even speak to me with out a steward.....I LOVE it