Need some help...being forced onto new route.

First off I'm in the central region. In my center a driver bid off his route and nobody signed the bid sheet so my manager is telling me, the highest seniority coverage driver, that I am being assigned the route. This route is often cut and when it is in has pick ups that would keep me out working til about 7:30. Also they are not biding the route by the same route number. The route number they are giving it is that of a route that was cut and left unbid a few years ago. Any help with how I need to go about fighting this would be great. I have already talked to my local union rep who is starting to look into it. Any documentation on this policy would be great. Thanks

PACNW

First off I'm in the central region. In my center a driver bid off his route and nobody signed the bid sheet so my manager is telling me, the highest seniority coverage driver, that I am being assigned the route. This route is often cut and when it is in has pick ups that would keep me out working til about 7:30. Also they are not biding the route by the same route number. The route number they are giving it is that of a route that was cut and left unbid a few years ago. Any help with how I need to go about fighting this would be great. I have already talked to my local union rep who is starting to look into it. Any documentation on this policy would be great. Thanks

Seems to me it would go to the LOWEST seniority cover driver? That's how it works where I am out west.

oldngray

nowhere special
Usually its bid from top down and force from bottom up. Most senior miscellaneous driver might get offered the route but shouldn't be forced to take it.

My center manager tells me that my seniority gives me the right to work no the right to refuse work. But this same manager also tells me he's "pretty sure" this is how its suppose to be handled and he maybe proved wrong. And for weeks I've asked to see in writing his policy and got nothing but "we will look into it". I know for sure it was force from bottom when they added satellite area a few years ago and I feel this is a similar situation since they are bidding a route that's been unbid for a few years.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It is force from the bottom up. Yes, you have the seniority to work which gives you the right to work. And you will.....as #1 cover.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Are you kidding? So you have a full time job offered to you and you don't want it? Suck it up and do it. When it is cut. Cover another? Someone will always want a day off. It is only for 2 yrs. Then move on. Omg

stink219

Usually its bid from top down and force from bottom up. Most senior miscellaneous driver might get offered the route but shouldn't be forced to take it.
That sums it up perfectly!
Bid - Top down
Forced - Bottom up
Whenever dealing with management, always ask them to produce the language for their interpretation of the contract. Usually they are guessing of what was told to them in a brief sentence.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Maybe you didnt hear this yet, but we are GOING ON STRIKE in 4 months, so just work, take the overtime, save money and STFU.

YOU will be one of the first persons layed off when the volume drops, so why worry about the late hours? Sounds kinda silly given the fact that you will be back in the hub come the next few months.

Peace

TOS

My manager is trying to argue that by having the least senior coverage driver forced on to the route it could pose a problem with some 90% rule that he couldn't explain...Anybody know anything about this rule?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My manager is trying to argue that by having the least senior coverage driver forced on to the route it could pose a problem with some 90% rule that he couldn't explain...Anybody know anything about this rule?

The top 90% of all drivers that work Monday are guaranteed 40 hours of work for the week. Being as the low man isn't in the top 90% it doesn't matter. Your boss needs to retake 3rd grade math.

Edit. And maybe a reading comprehension class while he's at it.

oldngray

nowhere special
It sounds like the manager doesn't want the low man slotted on a route they can't take out on Monday. Too bad. Not your problem.

barnyard

KTM rider
also, there are many central region buildings that routes are bid until you bid off them. Plus, you cannot bid on another route within 12 months of signing a bid. I cannot believe that the OPs shop steward has not taking the center manager out back for a few slaps. This is a no-brainer.

I am also the top unassigned driver in my building. I have passed on 3 route bids so far. As the top cover guy, I can choose which routes I want to run, much better than taking a crap route, just to have a route.

I also have passed on a few routes in the past but this is the first time a route that I let go by me wasn't bid by anybody below me in seniority

balland chain

That is BS. The 90 % rule must applyto his bonus or something . I would file if a junior driver was not forced to take the last available run. We have all been at the bottom and it is not fun, but that is seniority . If he does not force the driver on the run, file on it.. I would call the union tomorrow and ask about the rule.. GL

Fullhouse

sound like he knows the two bottom friend/time drivers are gauranteed 8 hrs.
That's how our supplement reads. That time may or may not be consecutive. So with that said he does not want to take chance of cutting his run and then trying to figure how that guy will get his hours.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That is BS. The 90 % rule must applyto his bonus or something . I would file if a junior driver was not forced to take the last available run. We have all been at the bottom and it is not fun, but that is seniority . If he does not force the driver on the run, file on it.. I would call the union tomorrow and ask about the rule.. GL

You have no idea what your talking about the 90% rule is contract language.