Needing honest advice on pt sup position

MissingOriginScan

Hi all, I've read and heard different things from different people saying PT Sup is dead-end. Or there's potential for advancement if youre good at it. I work in a relatively small center on the local sort as a package handler. Im currently trained on internationals, small sort, air, customer counter, and ive done some picking off here and there. Ive been working at UPS since I was a senior in high school and its been about a year and a half since i started. Id say I have a good relationship with my center manager and anybody i work with in general. My original plan was to go into driving since that's where most people would like to be here. Here in a day or so we've got a PT Sup position opening up and im seriously considering taking advantage of it. Itd be a decent pay increase from what I make now as a kid fresh out of high school. I see people working full-time in factories making what i could make as a pt sup at just 27.5 a week and that makes the deal tempting. Id take advantage of the tuition assistance and try for an associates degree at minimum. But i just wouldnt want PT sup to be the end of the road for me, we've in the last few years had two former PT sups get promoted to driver, so if i could kill some time in this role until im 21 years of age and could make an attempt at a drivers spot that'd be nice in my opinion. Hell to possibly persue a spot in full time management would be okay too. Id like to make a career out of it either way. But to make that transition to driver eventually would be my first choice. I do see myself staying at UPS for the long haul. Is there any genuine, honest advice any of you guys could give me? Anything is appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you planning on going for your 4 year degree and then working in a professional setting? If so, take the job as it will enhance your resume.

However, if your ultimate goal is to drive, you should stay where you are.

tarbar66

Get the big picture of what is going on in your Center. Talk to a few drivers confidently and the steward. Do the same with dispatch and on roads. Since you already talk to the manager see what his career plans are. Good Luck.

You say you are in a small center that have had 2 off the street hires in the last few years. Do you have a lot more older drivers ready to retire? What do you think the time frame will be until they hire 7 more drivers since the last pt sup went driving? Are you confident you will be that 7th driver? Do you want to become a ft sup?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go full time now! You are way more qualified that my current sup who has the intelligence of a Yak. Yak-brain drove something like six months total.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
God forbid you actually work for a year or two before you turn 21.

If you need to go pt sup to stick around long enough to drive you'll never make it as a driver.

IESucks

Hi all, I've read and heard different things from different people saying PT Sup is dead-end. Or there's potential for advancement if youre good at it. I work in a relatively small center on the local sort as a package handler. Im currently trained on internationals, small sort, air, customer counter, and ive done some picking off here and there. Ive been working at UPS since I was a senior in high school and its been about a year and a half since i started. Id say I have a good relationship with my center manager and anybody i work with in general. My original plan was to go into driving since that's where most people would like to be here. Here in a day or so we've got a PT Sup position opening up and im seriously considering taking advantage of it. Itd be a decent pay increase from what I make now as a kid fresh out of high school. I see people working full-time in factories making what i could make as a pt sup at just 27.5 a week and that makes the deal tempting. Id take advantage of the tuition assistance and try for an associates degree at minimum. But i just wouldnt want PT sup to be the end of the road for me, we've in the last few years had two former PT sups get promoted to driver, so if i could kill some time in this role until im 21 years of age and could make an attempt at a drivers spot that'd be nice in my opinion. Hell to possibly persue a spot in full time management would be okay too. Id like to make a career out of it either way. But to make that transition to driver eventually would be my first choice. I do see myself staying at UPS for the long haul. Is there any genuine, honest advice any of you guys could give me? Anything is appreciated.
Go to college and spare yourself the ups long hours. It's not a wise career choice unless you enjoy physical labor, long hours, and intimidation.

CoolStoryBro

You also have to consider your region when considering making the jump to management. It is not likely you will ever get a full time management position in your small center. What is most likely is that they will only offer you a position in a hub or super :censored2:ty center no one wants to work in. Also, you will need to get a 4 year degree.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you said a couple pt. supes went to driving? i wonder how long your center manager will be there. if the manager changes things could go bad as there is never 2 good center manager in a row.

i agree with the poster who suggested you talk to some drivers and steward in your hub to get a feel what is going on. Then go with your gut . Your gut feeling is usually right.

good luck and keep the BC updated.

Nike

This question depends more on the center/hub than anything else really.
For example at my hub we have had sups go drive, work more than the standard 20 something hours and go to school as well.
But if you really need the money consider double shifting on preload than going to school anyway.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Go to college and spare yourself the ups long hours. It's not a wise career choice unless you enjoy physical labor, long hours, and intimidation.
Listen to this, OP. Make something of your life; UPS isn't it, management or hourly. If you are really desperate, go for it, but if you are young and have options (live at home, etc), just don't do it.

El Correcto

god is dead
615qwZJqkuL._SY355_.jpg

Take these if you decide to hop into management.

Mr. Sir

Box slinger
If you’ve had even the slightest thought of driving stay right where you are. If not , being you’re right out of school, sup is a great resume filler. The folkes here tend to think driving or working in a hub is the only job class within the company. Continue your education, use pt as a resume filler, then find a job that pays as much as a driver if not more, for less hours and more work /life balance whether it be in ups or outside of ups....again if you want to drive stay hourly

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Listen to this, OP. Make something of your life; UPS isn't it, management or hourly. If you are really desperate, go for it, but if you are young and have options (live at home, etc), just don't do it.
I totally agree but young people don't listen to us.

I have told people many times here to go travel, party, live it up, work all kinds of jobs . They have so many options but want to make a career at UPS right out of high school without trying something else????

I didn't start here until I was 37 and thank god that I lived life all those years . NO regrets. It's better than starting here at 18 and working 30-40 years and retiring all broken down and marginal health.

There is a world outside this company that young people should explore before it is too late.

Box Ox

I have told people many times here to go travel, party, live it up, work all kinds of jobs . They have so many options but want to make a career at UPS right out of high school without trying something else????

Think UPS is still riding a combination of reputation from the past, and good PR. Old timers tell me being a FT driver used to be fun for them, and the company still wins all sorts of PR-workable “awards” in the present day. “Top company for “X” thing” or whatever.

So I don’t blame very young folks for thinking UPS sounds like a good place to work. They’re hearing college can be a waste of time and money. And it often is. And we’ve of course even had a few UPS corporate cubicle monkeys drop in because they’re “bored” and think they want to go driving.

Just hope those who come here to ask whether it’s a good gig truly take our responses to heart and do whatever other things they might be capable of doing that’d provide a good living.

MissingOriginScan

God forbid you actually work for a year or two before you turn 21.

If you need to go pt sup to stick around long enough to drive you'll never make it as a driver.

I'm interested in the position for the pay bump and guaranteed 27.5 . In my center our supes get out consistently 10 - 15 minutes after us. Sounds appealing to me. I dont "need" to do this or that, but im confident I could make it doing any job I decide to do, driver included. If its my work ethic you were questioning.

You say you are in a small center that have had 2 off the street hires in the last few years. Do you have a lot more older drivers ready to retire? What do you think the time frame will be until they hire 7 more drivers since the last pt sup went driving? Are you confident you will be that 7th driver? Do you want to become a ft sup?

Honestly its been the last 3-4 years both supervisors made the jump. Ive been told its because nobody else wanted the driving jobs. But I know management liked both as they are hard workers. We do have a number of older drivers heading that way, 5 I can think of off the top of my head. I'm confident when/if the time comes after having decided to go into PT management. Id get the same chance the last 2 supes did. I wouldnt mind going full-time sup but would need a 4 year degree to do that. Either way it swings im told good money can be made either Driving or full-time management.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys its much appreciated!!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm interested in the position for the pay bump and guaranteed 27.5 . In my center our supes get out consistently 10 - 15 minutes after us. Sounds appealing to me. I dont "need" to do this or that, but im confident I could make it doing any job I decide to do, driver included. If its my work ethic you were questioning.

Honestly its been the last 3-4 years both supervisors made the jump. Ive been told its because nobody else wanted the driving jobs. But I know management liked both as they are hard workers. We do have a number of older drivers heading that way, 5 I can think of off the top of my head. I'm confident when/if the time comes after having decided to go into PT management. Id get the same chance the last 2 supes did. I wouldnt mind going full-time sup but would need a 4 year degree to do that. Either way it swings im told good money can be made either Driving or full-time management.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice guys its much appreciated!!
remember growing pains