New and just got injured?

Hi everyone. Excited to be here. I’m 40 (6’ 4” 235lbs) and am in good shape for my age. I’ve been an entrepreneur my whole life. I’m responsible, dependable, hard worker, and have good people skills. The benefits are very important to me and plan on sticking with it for the long haul. I’m within my first 30 days as a package handler sort (not seasonal). I’ve hurt my wrist sorting packages and am asking your opinion on what I should do? I thought it was just normal to be sore but my wrist is swollen. I don’t want a stupid injury to effect my job or future employment. I didn’t report it because I didn’t realize it was swollen until I got home. I really need the benefits for my family and I’m not a quitter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I’m good friends with a coworker their that has 25 years seniority that helped me get this job. I haven’t said anything to him yet about this. I go back into work this next Tuesday. Got one more day to ice my wrist and maybe buy a brace. New to this site, appreciate any feedback on what I should do or request?Thanks:)

Thanks Gumby for the reply. So you are saying don’t report it and just try and work around it? Should I mention this to my friend who has seniority and see if I can work in another station until I get better. I actually enjoy the work out. Not afraid of hard work but damn. I guess I will see what happens.

Thanks Gumby for the reply. So you are saying don’t report it and just try and work around it? Should I mention this to my friend who has seniority and see if I can work in another station until I get better. I actually enjoy the work out. Not afraid of hard work but damn. I guess I will see what happens.
If you get hurt while trying to qualify they won't let you make your 30 days?

Unless it is something serious , just suck it up

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Is your friend a boss

Is your friend a boss
He has worked PT baggage handler for 25 years so not a boss but probably has the most seniority in PT (attends to leaked packages etc, sorry don’t know all the position yet haha). He gave me the idea to do this so I can be around my family during the day while my wife works (have young kids.) I’m going to tough it out. Are there other jobs I could request temporarily? Otherwise I might tell my coworkers about it and just do my best. I had a sup ask me about being a pt sup but would rather work for benefits as a pt package handler I think. Thanks for reply.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ice that puppy, and wrap it with an ace bandage. If you can't do the work without further injury, you could tell a sup that your wrist is sore and ask to be assigned to a less physical position for a few days. It couldn't hurt and it's not worth ruining part of your body just to lose the job anyway.

Are you sure that you are injured or are you just experiencing the soreness that we all felt the first few weeks on the job?
Are you sure that you are injured or are you just experiencing the soreness that we all felt the first few weeks on the job?
Yeah I’m sure. My other wrist is fine. Did my job well for a newbie. Worked my ass off, helped wherever I could when others needed help, and the sups and other coworkers like me. In the end when you give it your all and come up short I guess I’m ok with that. It sucks but I’m not going to further injure myself only to be let go anyway. Appreciate all of your replies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah I’m sure. My other wrist is fine. Did my job well for a newbie. Worked my ass off, helped wherever I could when others needed help, and the sups and other coworkers like me. In the end when you give it your all and come up short I guess I’m ok with that. It sucks but I’m not going to further injure myself only to be let go anyway. Appreciate all of your replies.

No need to get chippy.

It is not uncommon to experience soreness after having worked here for a few weeks.

Ice that puppy, and wrap it with an ace bandage. If you can't do the work without further injury, you could tell a sup that your wrist is sore and ask to be assigned to a less physical position for a few days. It couldn't hurt and it's not worth ruining part of your body just to lose the job anyway.
I will do as you said. Might see if my friend can pull a few strings so I can work a less physical position until I get better. Honestly it’s their loss. :censored2: happens sometimes. I feel I can outwork a lot of the others there but maybe that was my downfall. Oh well, I will survive and see what happens. May the chips fall where they may:) Thanks for your input. I even bought some new shoes for this job.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The proper thing to do, if it's not better by the beginning of your next shift, is show up early, tell your supervisor you were hurt and didn't realize it until later. If they let you go, go straight to a doctor and file a workers comp claim. If they work with you, then forge on ahead. Although you shouldn't have to worry about losing your job for filing workers comp, that's the reality we sometimes face, and only you can decide what's best for you.