New bid route, is it grievable yet?

SHAIV

So I am getting ticked off lately for having to run someone else's route every Tuesday and Thursday because he is using his vacation days to be off to take a class at school. His route is screwed up and I don't want to run it anymore. I had a bid route last year that was a split route so it would be cut sometimes and I would run other routes and then a lot of the time when it was in I still wouldn't run it because I know like 25 routes. They treat me like a cover driver but whatever. This year I bid on a different route that is in everyday and the guy who bid on it last year retired so someone has to run it me or a cover driver. I looked in the handbook and it states that they have 60 days from bid completion to have everyone on their bid routes but it also states that 10% will be bid everyday. So it should take 10 days from start to finish for everyone to bid correct? They are still bidding and I bid my route a few weeks ago and I'm pretty low on the seniority list so they are way behind on bidding! I have been running my new route mon wed and Fri and the other guys route on Tues and Thurs. I told my supervisor that another driver with less seniority than me is on his new bid route and he knows the route I have to run on Tues and Thurs. So technically I could make him run it right? I should either be on my new bid route or my old bid route everyday right? I feel I've been too nice and I need to start filing. Since they have to find someone to run my new route why can't I just be on it everyday?

SHAIV

Oh and wed I had to help him when I got done with my route. I was thinking "he had yesterday off, he has tomorrow off and I got to help him when he comes to work?"

BrownTexas

So I am getting ticked off lately for having to run someone else's route every Tuesday and Thursday because he is using his vacation days to be off to take a class at school. His route is screwed up and I don't want to run it anymore. I had a bid route last year that was a split route so it would be cut sometimes and I would run other routes and then a lot of the time when it was in I still wouldn't run it because I know like 25 routes. They treat me like a cover driver but whatever. This year I bid on a different route that is in everyday and the guy who bid on it last year retired so someone has to run it me or a cover driver. I looked in the handbook and it states that they have 60 days from bid completion to have everyone on their bid routes but it also states that 10% will be bid everyday. So it should take 10 days from start to finish for everyone to bid correct? They are still bidding and I bid my route a few weeks ago and I'm pretty low on the seniority list so they are way behind on bidding! I have been running my new route mon wed and Fri and the other guys route on Tues and Thurs. I told my supervisor that another driver with less seniority than me is on his new bid route and he knows the route I have to run on Tues and Thurs. So technically I could make him run it right? I should either be on my new bid route or my old bid route everyday right? I feel I've been too nice and I need to start filing. Since they have to find someone to run my new route why can't I just be on it everyday?
If your current route is in you should be running it, unless they are saying you are on your new route now. Then you should be running it everyday.

BrownTexas

But what should I do? They haven't said anything they just stick my name on different routes
Tell them you have a bid route, which I assume is your current and not new route. If they have someone else run it tell them you are going to file a grievance. Then do so.

SHAIV

I am trying to figure out when I should be on my new route. Now or after the sixty days from the 10 days after bids started?

BrownTexas

They have until may 1 to put you on the new route. You need to ask them if they have moved you to your new route. If they say yes then don't let them take you off of it.

SHAIV

I disagree.
Calling off doesn't penalize the company enough.
I would run whatever route they put me on, aside from my bid route, straight into the ground.
Start coming in about 3 hours over, then they won't put the guy on other routes.
Haha. I did that one day. My supervisor sent me a message saying to call him around 430. Granted I had 170 stops on the other guys route and in a 113 stick shift truck. I called him and he was like u ok man? You only got 54 stops off at 430. Lol. It was screwed up though! Then another day I was on his route I had trouble with the brakes on the truck so I called in a break down. My sup was freaking out

SHAIV

I'm sick of having bad days like this on the other guys route. I got off at 10 o clock after my diad died at 830.

Bidding on routes by the year or every two years sucks. Next contract proposal meeting get everyone together and propose bidding for life.

Bidding on routes by the year or every two years sucks. Next contract proposal meeting get everyone together and propose bidding for life.
Sounds good in theory. But what happens if your route changes? Say you like your route now,then a few bulk stops and late pickups move in.
Now you are stuck for the rest of your career?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sounds good in theory. But what happens if your route changes? Say you like your route now,then a few bulk stops and late pickups move in.
Now you are stuck for the rest of your career?
You bid a new route when one comes available if you tire of the one you presently hold a bid on.
You are no way "stuck for the rest of your career".
This is the way it is in my local and the more seniority you have, the better chance you have of getting the route.
It works well.

You bid a new route when one comes available if you tire of the one you presently hold a bid on.
This is the way it is in my local and the more seniority you have, the better chance you have of getting the route.
It works well.
We bid our routes every year.

It works well.
Plus there is an advantage to the company to keep having new people on routes. It's harder for a member to get it down in stops to make more work which creates more routes to be in. I've created quit a lot of work in my own right by this method.