New branding!

STFXG

So we are getting rid of the different colors eh? All will be purple and orange with the operating company name underneath. Should help with customers getting confused. Haha

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1472056240.858375.jpg

Purplepackage

So we are getting rid of the different colors eh? All will be purple and orange with the operating company name underneath. Should help with customers getting confused. Haha

View attachment 93971

Yeah so instead of there being FedEx express as orange and ground as green, there will express orange, ground green, ground orange and then all the nice unmarked ground uhaul and Penske trucks. Less confusing lol

It will be fine

They say it's just branding and has nothing to do with operations. I find that hard to believe. As soon as they shot the HD dog they started pushing overlap and owning both services. We'll see where this goes.

dmac1

They say it's just branding and has nothing to do with operations. I find that hard to believe. As soon as they shot the HD dog they started pushing overlap and owning both services. We'll see where this goes.

If fedex decides to quit using contractors and hire employees, they will be able to use the vehicles when they ask to buy the trucks from contractors. Either that, or they can make all their employee express drivers into contractors and sell them the vehicles, which would make the contractor model more likely to pass legal scrutiny. Part of the reason that 'contractors' have been given the legal status of employee is because they do the exact same things as fedex express employees do. Once the full national transition to ISP is complete, there really is no reason to have a separate express division. ISPs can easily be forced to hire an extra pick up driver or two or three depending on size and be required to make timed deliveries. Think how much fedex would save just by not owning and maintaining an entire fleet of vehicles.

vantexan

If fedex decides to quit using contractors and hire employees, they will be able to use the vehicles when they ask to buy the trucks from contractors. Either that, or they can make all their employee express drivers into contractors and sell them the vehicles, which would make the contractor model more likely to pass legal scrutiny. Part of the reason that 'contractors' have been given the legal status of employee is because they do the exact same things as fedex express employees do. Once the full national transition to ISP is complete, there really is no reason to have a separate express division. ISPs can easily be forced to hire an extra pick up driver or two or three depending on size and be required to make timed deliveries. Think how much fedex would save just by not owning and maintaining an entire fleet of vehicles.
I doubt they can make us all into contractors. They're going to turn all of us into little businessmen responsible for our own vehicles and taxes? Will we have to buy our rts? Aren't single rt owners really employees according to the courts? So they're going to have multiple rt owners and we're going to just meekly accept no benefits, less pay, no future at all? FedEx beat the Railroad Labor Act with Ground, but to convert Express over, which is highly doubtful legally, would probably destroy the company. They're turning a very nice profit now, do you really think they're going to mess with that? Dano is a liar by the way.

Purplepackage

I doubt they can make us all into contractors. They're going to turn all of us into little businessmen responsible for our own vehicles and taxes? Will we have to buy our rts? Aren't single rt owners really employees according to the courts? So they're going to have multiple rt owners and we're going to just meekly accept no benefits, less pay, no future at all? FedEx beat the Railroad Labor Act with Ground, but to convert Express over, which is highly doubtful legally, would probably destroy the company. They're turning a very nice profit now, do you really think they're going to mess with that? Dano is a liar by the way.

If they changed express to contractors (essentially mass firing the entire workforce) would they have not have to pay every displaced employee severance?

Purplepackage

ISPs in certain places would need to hire a lot more than 2 or 3, your adding over 100 stops a day to each truck plus 30-40 pups a day depending on route and area

bacha29

Just one step closer to the company becoming an all contractor operation. You'll know for sure when ground and express scanners can scan each other's boxes. For ISP's in the near term it will mean hoarking up another rebranding hair ball. New rebranded uniforms. New all box scanners. More motor freight stolen off the LTL's. A consolidated Ground and HD operation running 6 days a week year round. Wider and even more unpredictable swings in daily volume resulting in the need to obtain more standby trucks and manpower that can be called out on a moments notice. As for the conversion of Express to contractor that will take time and legislation or a waiver or an exemption to be granted but given the power that Smith has within congressional circles that shouldn't be too hard for him to get. For short timer or topped out X jockeys my advice is get those pensions locked up despite how poor they are put in your time and keep an eye out for new career opportunities if you have to continue to work. For guys with 10 or fewer years be prepared for anything.

bacha29

If they changed express to contractors (essentially mass firing the entire workforce) would they have not have to pay every displaced employee severance?
They don't have to pay anything if they don't want to because there is no binding collective bargaining agreement in place. They may have a severance policy but nothing binds them to it.

bacha29

ISPs in certain places would need to hire a lot more than 2 or 3, your adding over 100 stops a day to each truck plus 30-40 pups a day depending on route and area
They will have in the company's word 'get up to scale". An ISP is afforded proprietary rights in their area and that may give the the opportunity to buy into the express business in their geographic area or just have it handed to them with the same mandate as ISP's currently have. "Here's the business. Here are our terms . Either take it and get up to scale quickly or we cancel your contract and conscript the nearest contractor to take it."

STFXG

They would just lay off all the express drivers and allow ground to take on additional volume. Like we are with smartpost. Just roll it over and let us deal with it. Wouldn't be a big deal. Consolidate the routes even more.

Purplepackage

They would just lay off all the express drivers and allow ground to take on additional volume. Like we are with smartpost. Just roll it over and let us deal with it. Wouldn't be a big deal. Consolidate the routes even more.

I'm just arguing for the sake of it, within 5 years I'll be done anyway.

How much do you think X would take from you for a p1 late? I can only assume the contractor would have to eat that somehow, and believe me there are a whole lot of lates

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I thought Smartpost was linehauled directly from the shipper to a PO sorting facility without being handled by FedEx personnel.

It will be fine

I thought Smartpost was linehauled directly from the shipper to a PO sorting facility without being handled by FedEx personnel.
We've started sorting smartpost in all our hubs. They are going to start giving us the deliveries when we are already going to a stop with a Ground box.

I think with this rebranding they'll start to kick express saver and 2 day deliveries to us, half the customers think those services are ground anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We've started sorting smartpost in all our hubs. They are going to start giving us the deliveries when we are already going to a stop with a Ground box.

I think with this rebranding they'll start to kick express saver and 2 day deliveries to us, half the customers think those services are ground anyway.

So Express is really going to be a part time opco?