New Career @ UPS

Goirish05

Greetings,

I’m looking for a career change and looking at possibly starting a career at UPS after 7 years in law enforcement. Recently, I came across this website and was looking for some suggestions and recommendations for this new career opportunity. From what I’ve seen so far I’m somewhat disappointed I didn’t join UPS years ago because the pension and insurance I had from law enforcement (which was decent) is nothing like what is offered at UPS. I’m currently in my early 30’s. I hope that isn’t too late to start this opportunity. I’m okay starting part time and working my way through the ranks in order to become a full time package driver. It looks like there is a lot of change upcoming for UPS is this a good time to join? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
7 year itch...

Stay on the job, run some more traffic, try to do something else like UC, SWAT, or anything, SOMETHING, just don't come to UPS. This is the most deceptive, unstructured, unethical company you could imagine working for. The pay is great, the benefits are amazing, and that's about it. Expect more stress than responding solo to a DV call. Don't plan on seeing your family early, don't plan on making it to little Johnny's ball game or Lil Suzie's dance recital.

There are good leaders within the company but they are few and far. The good ones usually become jaded and disenfranchised and leave or get transferred. The other ones have no experience in the company, and even less in life, but are going to be the ones barking orders at you like they were actually leading the company even though people 4 levels above them are the real bosses. They have barely S* out the chow from orientation but will be your boss. Guys like this...

View attachment 199990

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST PIECE OF S* IN THIS COMPANY...

...until you call in sick and then there will be a shutdown because they cannot run without you. If all this sounds good, then I welcome you aboard and wish you a long and bountiful career.
this is probably the most accurate assessment of UPS I have ever seen here.

HVU

MAKAVELI

Greetings,

I’m looking for a career change and looking at possibly starting a career at UPS after 7 years in law enforcement. Recently, I came across this website and was looking for some suggestions and recommendations for this new career opportunity. From what I’ve seen so far I’m somewhat disappointed I didn’t join UPS years ago because the pension and insurance I had from law enforcement (which was decent) is nothing like what is offered at UPS. I’m currently in my early 30’s. I hope that isn’t too late to start this opportunity. I’m okay starting part time and working my way through the ranks in order to become a full time package driver. It looks like there is a lot of change upcoming for UPS is this a good time to join? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions.
Move out West. Public safety out here pays extremely well and has one the best pension/ benefit packages of any public or private sector.

GenericUsername

FWIW, I started UPS at 29 after 12 years in my previous job. It's been 4 years almost and probably the best move I've made. Sure, there's politics and stupid crap you have to put up with, but honestly that's every job. This one you just happen to get paid more to do it. The worst times of this job are when you're inside the center. The minute you get out on the road in your own car is great. Sure, traffic can blow, customers can be rude, the weather sucks... but it's really all down to how you keep yourself moving throughout the day. Any day I don't have to sit inside a building and do the same crap over and over is great. Even though I'm technically doing the same thing over and over, being outside and enjoying fresh air for a great pay is fine with me.

If you can afford to start at the bottom then by all means, go for it. That is, if this is truly what you want to do. If you think you may quit in 7 years from now, then I think you'd be better off sticking with law enforcement.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Why the hell would you want to leave working as a LEO and come to ups?

Maybe it’s just the part of the country I’m in but here, cops are sitting very pretty and you’d be mental to leave, considering the absolute fight you have on your hands just to land the job.

rod

Retired 22 years
As a cop you can always pretend the bad guy got his bruises because he "tripped". At UPS management is always "tripping" you.

KoennenTiger

why would they go for 4 years to get a degree in Marxism with a minor in Social Justice just to work as a barista?

No one at my center knows that I've got a degree. I find it hilarious myself as I pay my student loans to know that I wasted four years of my life getting a degree in philosophy. Lel let's argue and whether we have free will cause materialism biotch don't you understand cause and effect?

Meanwhile how many years did I waste towards my progression and my retirement? I listen to more books as a driver with my Bluetooth in my ear then I ever did as a college student learning all about why I should hate myself and hate my children.

What a :censored2:ing waste of time.

Meanwhile I'll be 62 with broken knees and a broken body before I can ever hope to retire with any of the pension that probably won't even exist by that time.

I'm banking on my kids for retirement.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
No one at my center knows that I've got a degree. I find it hilarious myself as I pay my student loans to know that I wasted four years of my life getting a degree in philosophy. Lel let's argue and whether we have free will cause materialism biotch don't you understand cause and effect?

Meanwhile how many years did I waste towards my progression and my retirement? I listen to more books as a driver with my Bluetooth in my ear then I ever did as a college student learning all about why I should hate myself and hate my children.

What a :censored2:ing waste of time.

Meanwhile I'll be 62 with broken knees and a broken body before I can ever hope to retire with any of the pension that probably won't even exist by that time.

I'm banking on my kids for retirement.
how old are you man? if you’ve got at least 15-20 years before retirement you can absolutely invest your way to it