New Contract Question

ManInBrown

I could do 5 years (that's as long as i would ever vote for) but it would have to be significant raises every 6 months to a year. And they'd have to be at $34-35 an hour before their final raise before I would vote yes.

This $12 an hour raise or whatever it is is just stupid.
I actually liked it. It was 13 and change an hour I believe and it was crazy. I remember what I made my last week before the raise and my first week after. I went from grossing $1075 and change to $1903 in one week. It was the greatest feeling ever.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I actually liked it. It was 13 and change an hour I believe and it was crazy. I remember what I made my last week before the raise and my first week after. I went from grossing $1075 and change to $1903 in one week. It was the greatest feeling ever.

Let's assume that you worked 2000 hours per year and that each raise of the 4 year progression was $4.50/hr rather than the current percentage.

2000 * $4.50 = $9K

2000 * $2 = $4K

The company is "underpaying" you (at least) $5K/year for each of the 4 years that you are in progression.

I would be curious as to how many of those who began their progression actually made it to top rate.

dudebro

They are working too fast still apparently
No, there's just honestly not so much to deliver there. Even drivers working "safely", *wink wink*, don't need to be out there 12 hours a day. Driver slots open up when people 1) retire, 2) tip their tractor over on themselves on the weekend, or 3) get hit by lightning.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Back when it was a couple year wait sure. i hit full scale at 24. I've been at ups almost 15 years. Now guys my age are still waiting to hit full scale after years waiting to go ft and a 4 year progression.

ManInBrown

Back when it was a couple year wait sure. i hit full scale at 24. I've been at ups almost 15 years. Now guys my age are still waiting to hit full scale after years waiting to go ft and a 4 year progression.
I agree. The 4 year progression is wrong. With that being said, I enjoyed the monster one time raise. I don’t agree with it taking 4 years to get there.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Let's assume that you worked 2000 hours per year and that each raise of the 4 year progression was $4.50/hr rather than the current percentage.

2000 * $4.50 = $9K

2000 * $2 = $4K

The company is "underpaying" you (at least) $5K/year for each of the 4 years that you are in progression.

I would be curious as to how many of those who began their progression actually made it to top rate.

My theory is that they are trying to move towards no one ever topping out. Which would require extending the progression as long as possible, and figuring out how to fire everyone or get them to quit before they top out. Just the conspiracy theorist in me, though.

UPS Preloader

My theory is that they are trying to move towards no one ever topping out. Which would require extending the progression as long as possible, and figuring out how to fire everyone or get them to quit before they top out. Just the conspiracy theorist in me, though.

Long term, I think they are looking for a single starting rate with no progression. Just the negotiated/contractual annual raises.