New Courier

Ned

I was recently hired by Fedex as a PT Courier. Most of the threads and topics on this site are not painting a very pretty picture of Fedex. I was wondering what had changed in the last couple of years to lead to so many unhappy employees?

Hate 150lb Packages

Freds putting the pressure on Express to weed out topped out Couriers and resort to more new, PTers like you. More and more volume is going to Ground. Hypo hanna listed all of the problems. Take any giant corporation and any of it's problems would apply to Express. Fred wants all new, young PT people reliant on things like DRA. There is no room for free thinkers or creativity. The ultimate goal is the Ground model, where volume is still delivered, but Fred can wash his hands anytime something happens. Also, there is no need to worry about pay out retirement and benefits under this model. It's a profit machine, nothing more. If you stay at Express, go to school or have an end goal of what you want to do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This could have been one of the best jobs to have but upper management chose to make it one of the worst.

My advice to you, if something else comes along, take it. Get out of this sewer.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
All of the ^above^ - and then some.
It's a dead-end, futureless, thankless, abusive, non-rewarding job. And that's the good points about it. If I was just hired today knowing what I know now I'd be quitting tomorrow. Welcome to Schidtville - where every road leads to nowhere.

Glorifiedpackmule

We've had 3 new part timers quit within a month of coming back from courier school. It's really encouraging to see this responsible company spending thousands of dollars training people only to have them to quit. Way to go. A#} clowns.

DRAisawesome

Ned....my question to you is. What do you expect at Fedex? Wage Progression? What do you expect to make in 5 yrs from starting? I'm 7+ yrs at Express and over $7 away from topout. They are saving money on me in terms of: wages, pension input, 401k matching, purple promise payouts. the list can go on forever.

Ricochet1a

This is all related to a question I put up in March when you were all bidding vacation (got a few replies...)

What is the median Courier hire date? It came back that the median Courier has about 9-10 years in with Express.

Well, this means that given the pay stagnation that has taken place, that about half of Express Couriers are making within a $1/hr of starting Courier pay. Definition of pay stagnation....

This ISN'T accidental. I made more on my VERY FIRST DAY working as a Courier (in terms of REAL total compensation), than I did on my LAST day working as a Courier. With the stagnation of pay (not even keeping pace with inflation), the ending of the pension plan, and the slow erosion in the value of the health care (this was about 3 years ago - it's going to get MUCH worse come January for you guys), in REAL terms, my compensation was LESS on my last day working as a Courier than it was on my FIRST day working as a Courier. And this is before things REALLY started getting ugly (well, the pension was yanked, that is when it started getting ugly).

This trend is going to continue. Forget about pay raises or being in the middle class if for whatever reason something hits you in the head and you want to work full time for Express.

About 20-25% of Couriers are topped out. They have around 20+ years employment with Express. They are a 'legacy' of the old Federal Express, and their numbers are rapidly shrinking. Their real compensation is stagnant too - it is just they are getting paid about $6/hr more than the new hires. As a new hire, you WILL NEVER TOP OUT. If management tells you that one can realistically top out, they ARE LYING.

I used to say working part-time for Express wasn't a bad gig if one was going to school while doing so (what I did). With the changes in the past couple of years (and the big change in health insurance coverage coming up), I can't say working for Express is 'a good gig' any more. If you are stuck financially, go ahead and work Express - but KEEP ON LOOKING FOR ANOTHER JOB. If you stay too long, you'll get into a 'rut' and getting out of Express will become much more difficult for you.

BulkRoute

I took home more money working a minimum wage job in high school, than I do now. I have not had a good raise in over four years. In fact, I have had to take several pay cuts when you factor in the cost of health insurance doubling. And having to take a cut to transfer to another station. Don't have any kids either. That will be another cut in your paycheck to cover your insurance hike.
As said earlier. You will never top out. Ever.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I was recently hired by Fedex as a PT Courier. Most of the threads and topics on this site are not painting a very pretty picture of Fedex. I was wondering what had changed in the last couple of years to lead to so many unhappy employees?

What all of the previous posters have said, which about covers it. Find another job and don't waste another second of your life on this craphole. You will not regret it.

I have been with Federal Express for almost 27yrs..Started in April and by Nov I was maxed out also medical and dental were paid for by the company..I know guys who have been here over 10yrs and still not maxed out. FEDEX is not the same as FEDERAL EXPRESS..Best of luck to you..By the way tomorrow is my last day..Retiring..To everyone at Express hang in there ..Take care

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I have been with Federal Express for almost 27yrs..Started in April and by Nov I was maxed out also medical and dental were paid for by the company..I know guys who have been here over 10yrs and still not maxed out. FEDEX is not the same as FEDERAL EXPRESS..Best of luck to you..By the way tomorrow is my last day..Retiring..To everyone at Express hang in there ..Take care
Happy retirement. Congratulations for getting out of this hell hole.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Congrats 'n best of luck, PB! ...always inspiring to see people making the exit from this filthy cesspool