New day for Orion

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Could it be that they are using Orion 1.0 to work out the kinks before transitioning to Orion 2.0, which will include real-time manifest updating and turn by turn navigation?
That is exactly what they are doing. They are forcing 100% compliance expecting the centers to tweak it and get it right because their overallowed starts looking like crap.

Next will be ORION tied into the rear camera monitor. It will be a live GPS with voice guided turn by turn directions.

While they will not expect you to look at the screen while driving, you will be able to see where your next stop is before you begin moving.

And the voice navigation will guide you right to the next stop.

Come contract negotiation time, UPS will plop ORION and PAS down on the table.

UPS will tell the Teamsters "Any monkey can unload a truck. With PAS, any monkey can load a truck. With ORION, any monkey can deliver packages. Any contractor can pull a trailer."

"This is what we are going to give you. Take it or leave it."

While UPS might entertain some minor bargaining, the Teamsters will know that UPS has them right where they want them and the Teamsters have very little leverage left.

God help us all.

That is exactly what they are doing. They are forcing 100% compliance expecting the centers to tweak it and get it right because their overallowed starts looking like crap.

Next will be ORION tied into the rear camera monitor. It will be a live GPS with voice guided turn by turn directions.

While they will not expect you to look at the screen while driving, you will be able to see where your next stop is before you begin moving.

Come contract negotiation time, UPS will plop ORION and PAS down on the table.

UPS will tell the Teamsters "Any monkey can unload a truck. With PAS, any monkey can load a truck. With ORION, any monkey can deliver packages. Any contractor can pull a trailer."

"This is what we are going to give you. Take it or leave it."

While UPS might entertain some minor bargaining, the Teamsters will know that UPS has them right where they want them and the Teamsters have very little leverage left.

God help us all.
Whatever leverage they had left. They gave it away on this last contract.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Not likely.

You cant hear much of anything when you are in the cab of a diesel-powered package car driving down the road. And even if you could, ORION is useless when it comes to issues like traffic, bricked out package cars, misloads, or any of the other myriad of variables we face on a daily basis. Getting the package car to the GPS location of the next stop is only a small part of what we do. ORION wont help a driver figure out which dock to go to, which doors to use, where each apartment is, or how best to load a handcart in order to deliver to a high-rise building.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I don't care enough about their numbers to cut corners to meet some metric......you realize if you back into something while your car is in neutral, it's a rollaway accident? Terminable offense.....and yes telematics can prove it
How would telematics prove it if it can't even tell your backing?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not likely.

You cant hear much of anything when you are in the cab of a diesel-powered package car driving down the road. And even if you could, ORION is useless when it comes to issues like traffic, bricked out package cars, misloads, or any of the other myriad of variables we face on a daily basis. Getting the package car to the GPS location of the next stop is only a small part of what we do. ORION wont help a driver figure out which dock to go to, which doors to use, where each apartment is, or how best to load a handcart in order to deliver to a high-rise building.
And this is why the Teamsters still have a little bit of leverage left, but not much.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Mine was a monstrosity, yesterday. I pulled over after air, sent a msg to my manager, with a screen shot of the next 8 stops, do you want me to follow this crap? I shut it off, ran it the old way, in at 615, 7 miles over, instead of the usual 17-23.
Some days it is so screwed up I get a headache trying to follow it. Others I just say like Oh well, its a money maker.

OPTION3

Mine was a monstrosity, yesterday. I pulled over after air, sent a msg to my manager, with a screen shot of the next 8 stops, do you want me to follow this crap? I shut it off, ran it the old way, in at 615, 7 miles over, instead of the usual 17-23.
Some days it is so screwed up I get a headache trying to follow it. Others I just say like Oh well, its a money maker.
......when you keep solving their problems.....it's only going to get worse

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Got a chance to talk to my DM's boss yesterday. When I mentioned Orion he busted out the same line all the sups have been brainwashed with: "Orion has saved millions of dollars."

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Got a chance to talk to my DM's boss yesterday. When I mentioned Orion he busted out the same line all the sups have Bern brainwashed with: "Orion has saved millions of dollars."
I would love to see these numbers. I bet I could blow a massive hole through them in less than 30 minutes.