New driver failure rate

MrBrown

In my short time at ups i seem to have noticed quite a high rate of guys not being able to do the job. Whether its an inside guy going on his 30 or a casual off the street, seems a lot of people cant hack it. Youd think it would be a very easy job, shoot delivering pkgs, i can easily do that is what i thought. Turns out its not that easy at all especially in the beginning. So I wanna say 1 out of 2 cant/arent willing to hack it; I see a lot of faces come and go. Except the inside guys, still see them. At least they get to try again in another year. My one piece of advice to anyone going out on their 30 days from within the building is to go go go. You have to prove you can get the job done efficiently in order to make seniority. youre gonna have to prove yourself and pick it up pretty quickly. I happen to have gotten 6 months to work on my trade before i was tested on it, you get much less. ive seen guys who are on the pre load fail cause they thought it would be a guarantee. Dont be the guy who has to have two different drivers meet you and when they get their your smoking a butt or doing anything other than looking at your diad or in the back of the truck. If you want it youre gonna have to shine... And shave your beard if you have one.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1442184146.036898.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to pay myself on the back but my center manager likes to send new drivers with me to give them a taste of what will be expected of them. Most if not all had no idea that this was the pace they would be expected to keep throughout the day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't know that the beginning failure rate is that much higher but the rate at which drivers quitting that have made book is much higher in the last 2 years.

Future

Victory Ride
I don't know that the beginning failure rate is that much higher but the rate at which drivers quitting that have made book is much higher in the last 2 years.
Just had a young guy get disqualified ....just couldnt do it .....was paid over by a ton 2hrs+.....felt bad for him.....he is trying to grieve it.....no idea how that will turn out

Brownslave688

Just had a young guy get disqualified ....just couldnt do it .....was paid over by a ton 2hrs+.....felt bad for him.....he is trying to grieve it.....no idea how that will turn out
Between the 3 centers that I know a lot of guys at I think 5-6 guys within their first two years driving have quit.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

What do you suppose the reasoning is behind that? I have to admit, when I was a cop, I felt less stressed than I do some days working here.

Brownslave688

What do you suppose the reasoning is behind that? I have to admit, when I was a cop, I felt less stressed than I do some days working here.
One is being laid off almost all year outside of peak.

Two the hours. Not the late nights but the not knowing what time.

Three with a four year wait to full scale most say screw it when they see how hard it is.

Brownslave688

The guy i was mentioning had to quit his outside job (which was decent) while he was trying to qualify....he is screwed....feel bad
Oh if you just don't qualify then yeah you can be part time.

But if you make it as a driver then quit 6 months later no.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
One is being laid off almost all year outside of peak.
Two the hours. Not the late nights but the not knowing what time.
Three with a four year wait to full scale most say screw it when they see how hard it is.

That's definitely not answer I was expecting. I was thinking the long hours, the constant harassment over stop counts and performance and, the intimidation tactics that probably do push people a little too far.

Future

Victory Ride
That's definitely not answer I was expecting. I was thinking the long hours, the constant harassment over stop counts and performance and, the intimidation tactics that probably do push people a little too far.
I heard (no idea where) divorce rate is higher at UPS than local police depts