New Driver Gets Fired For Positive Drug Sample!

Stratocaster

A new driver in my center got fired this morning for testing positive on his DOT physical he took about a month ago. Last week he got into a little argument with his supervisor and today he was fired. Sounds a little bit fishy to me. 1 whole month to figure out he tested positive for marijuana???? Has anyone heard of a similar case?

Just Lurking

Quick question - When did UPS start drug screening for DOT physical?

Quick answer. They don't.

Another question? Are you concerned about taking a piss test for a DOT physical?

Another answer. Really don't bother. If you are already a driver you should know who, when and why you can be drug tested. If you or your friend has already been terminated for drug test failure you would know the who, when and why.

Stratocaster

I know that the DOT physical doesn't require a drug test. Thats only for CDL motorists. I was implying that the sup he got into the argument with last week, had his urine from the DOT physical, tested for drugs.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the company suspects drug use, it is within their right to test. If the driver has seniority, they have to be offered treatment before firing. If the driver is on probation, tough darts.

Stratocaster

This wasn't random. The only urine sample he ever gave to the company, was for the DOT physical he took last month. Which is why im confused to how he came back positive for a test that doesn't test for drugs...

UPSGUY72

Actually, they do.

DOT requires a certain number of random drug tests be done every year. I went in for 1 on Tuesday.

UPS has nothing to do with your DOT physical. You go you pee in a cup and the dip a stick in it in front of you to test your sugar level then they through it away. There is no secret test. If they are testing for drugs you know it you have to sign a form and they would put your sample in a sealed container and make you Initial a seal they put on the container.

I know that the DOT physical doesn't require a drug test. Thats only for CDL motorists. I was implying that the sup he got into the argument with last week, had his urine from the DOT physical, tested for drugs.

That isn't possible read above. They don't secret test for drugs that is against the law you know when they are testing you for drugs you have to sign forms. They do however do unannounced random testing for people with a CDL or for people that have tested positive in the passed and have gone to rehab these people know that they can be tested at any time as they signed a paper to that effect.

We had a drive get canned 2 years ago for that...

If your getting a drug tested they take the sample and then in front of you seal the container put a seal on the container that you initial then they send it out to a lab to be tested.

If the driver got fired for a failed drug test it wasn't from his DOT physical it was from a unannounced test either because they have a CDL or because they have tested positive before...

barnyard

KTM rider
If the driver got fired for a failed drug test it wasn't from his DOT physical it was from a unannounced test either because they have a CDL or because they have tested positive before...

Correct. The nurse made a pretty big deal of me initialing the container.

Justaname

A new driver in my center got fired this morning for testing positive on his DOT physical he took about a month ago. Last week he got into a little argument with his supervisor and today he was fired. Sounds a little bit fishy to me. 1 whole month to figure out he tested positive for marijuana???? Has anyone heard of a similar case?
Tell your friend getting high isn't worth a career. Stick to beer it's tasty and legal.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Amazing how people will go through all the trouble to obtain illegal substances and if only they took the same motivation and applied it actually doing something productive and legal, imagine the possibilities.

Last edited: