New Driver Gets Fired For Positive Drug Sample!

upschuck

A new driver in my center got fired this morning for testing positive on his DOT physical he took about a month ago. Last week he got into a little argument with his supervisor and today he was fired. Sounds a little bit fishy to me. 1 whole month to figure out he tested positive for marijuana???? Has anyone heard of a similar case?

There were about four of us that drove to the center where we did our driver training(3days), got there a little early, so we thought we'd go the motel and drop all our stuff off and freshen up. So we finally get to the center, and about halfway through the first morning, the trainer pulls a couple of the women aside, and ask them who smoked a joint in their room. They could either fess up or both were going to get drug tested that day. One voluntarily went home. Problem was, she was the driver that took us all.

fiddledee

This is not true. I just went through the most stringent one, I think they have ever given, and no pee left my body in the name of UPS.
there is language clearly spelled out in the contract , you have to be observed acting strangely by several trained management. I would think the guy was recently sent for a fit for duty test and failed it.

RockinRobin

We are ALL being WATCHED!
Honestly, it probably depends upon the amount eaten. A trace amount may "show up" but there are of course acceptable testing levels outlined within our contract, or any test. I'd be inclined to believe you on this (with or without mythbusters evidence)

It makes sense to me, not just because I failed a drug test because of it, but because Poppyseeds are in fact in the family of Opium. So why not? You should test positive.

Actually, I'm glad I did not get that job. It was with a company that is no longer around, in the Aviation industry, and they were very odd at the interview. It would only have lasted a year or two anyway.

RockinRobin

Is it one of these?

Opioids are synthetic drugs and include oxycodone (Percodan, Percocet, OxyContin), hydrocodone (Vicodin), and oxymorphone (Numorphan).

No, however I have been prescribed all of them for Sciatica. Currently docs like to prescribe Neurontin (Gabapentin) to adjust Seretonin and perception of Sciatic pain, along with the synth that this site will not let me post.

Starts with a T and rhymes with Damitall

gingerkat

No, however I have been prescribed all of them for Sciatica. Currently docs like to prescribe Neurontin (Gabapentin) to adjust Seretonin and perception of Sciatic pain, along with the synth that this site will not let me post.

Starts with a T and rhymes with Damitall

Sorry, maybe I'm taking too much of my pain meds, but what the hell are you talking about? I posted a whole thing on this stuff a while back and I named a ton of them. What does Gabapentin have to do with a drug test? It's not a opiate. I take a very high dose of Gabapentin + a synthetic opiate and if I were to take a DOT panel 5, those drugs would NOT show on the test. You have to ask for specific drugs if they don't fall in a certain category.

gingerkat

I think I just got it, are you talking about T ramadol (Ul tram)? Again, what does that have to do with a test? That is a fully synthetic opiate and won't show up unless looked for. I'm not sure what the rules are at UPS, but if you have a legal prescription…?

Oh I see, the site won't let you post the name of legal drug - really?

RockinRobin

I know. Isn't that strange?

I'm not worried about taking T ramidol (never thought of putting a space in there for posting. Thanks GingerKat). And I could give a flip about taking a drug test while taking it.

I was simply answering a question on what was prescribed to me. I was joking when I said I was screwed for taking T ramidol. As in Sarcasm.

Wow, lots of emotion on this site for trivial things. You guys need to take more legal drugs! :biggrin: You just can't post them here.

BrownChoice

The only prescription narcotic DOT drivers cannot take, cdl or not, is methadone.

The Codones are semi synthetic and do not show on 5 panel. I take a short acting and a long acting opioid for chronic pain, and i can guarantee anyone, that noone can tell i am taking a narcotic. I am not on a huge dosage and take how i am supposed to..

Spare me the hassle of trying to belittle me for taking narcotics. I dont believe pot is as bad as the opioids i take, yet apparently UPS, or the federal government for that matter, feel the same way.

It is entrusted upon professional drivers to use sound judgement when working/driving while taking any controlled substance. Also, just because it is allowed to take controlled substances, doesn't mean ups management wont discriminate a worker who is taking them. Which is why nobody should ever tell management of any medical condition/medications. Its none of their business, keep it personal. As a matter of fact, never tell ANYONE, other than your doctors.