New driver - held out to drive

blausch

I have a question and appreciate any input. Worked at UPS for 3 1/2 yrs now. I started as a preloader and then bid into a full time driver job. i have 1 yr 4 months senority as a friend/t driver. i am at the bottom of the driver list with the least amount of senority. the problem at times for me is dispatch, as late as an hour until drivers are dispatched, they cut a route then i am out a driving day. My frustration is i could've just preloaded and gotten some hours, now i'm screwed for the whole day. I suppose i could bump into the evening part time shift if i don't drive. With this new pkg system - preload assist or whatever it's called they should know how many routes they need the day before, or at least the night before, right? instead of holding me out and screwing me out work. if i'm the schedule don't they have to guarentee me work or am i just screwed? Lot of questions, but appreciate any input. THanks.

upsyo

if your on the schedule...work your guaranteed 8 hrs. if they tell you the day before you laid off that day, then work the preload...then reload.

Yes. If you are not laid off. You are guaranteed the 8 hours. It doesnt matter if they make you sweep the parking lot. Problem is most don't have the ---- to stand up for their rights!

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Blausch!

There is no way you should be sent home after reporting at your scheduled start time. Talk to your shop steward.

blausch

What if they call me an hour before my start time and say they decided to cut a route. do i still come in and work my eight hours?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What if they call me an hour before my start time and say they decided to cut a route. do i still come in and work my eight hours?

If they call you before your scheduled start time you are out of luck. If you come in and they then tell you then you get your 8. This comes in to play during weather emergencies as well--if they call you, you don't get paid. If you come in you do get paid.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
If they call you before your scheduled start time you are out of luck. If you come in and they then tell you then you get your 8. This comes in to play during weather emergencies as well--if they call you, you don't get paid. If you come in you do get paid.

Not necesarily the case, if you are scheduled to work on the posted start time sheet, you should get your show up guarantee. Which is 6hrs. We have had our bottom seniority guy win a grievance for this.

By the way, no one ever said you have to answer the phone every time it rings!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I like mystery....I don't have caller I.D. and it's like playing Russian Roulette when I answer the phone at dinner time......it's usually a recorded political message.

Another feature is call waiting and that's the rudest feature!! It's like, "hold on, someone more important than you may be calling." HELLO ! Don't have that either.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I like mystery....I don't have caller I.D. and it's like playing Russian Roulette when I answer the phone at dinner time......it's usually a recorded political message.

Another feature is call waiting and that's the rudest feature!! It's like, "hold on, someone more important than you may be calling." HELLO ! Don't have that either.
Old%20Telephone%20s.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Diz....that reminded me that We were living in Idaho Falls, Idaho when the first phones ever were installed in Bone, Idaho. Prior to that, they used CB radios to contact the outside world.

That teacher is beautiful......is it Miss Crabtree ??

StopTheAct

nah,,,,, you are guarenteed 8 hours..
doesent matter if they call you 1 hour or 3 hours before start time!!
you are full time...
if they got no routs,, you work 4 in preload and 4 in reload!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

nah,,,,, you are guarenteed 8 hours..
doesent matter if they call you 1 hour or 3 hours before start time!!
you are full time...
if they got no routs,, you work 4 in preload and 4 in reload!

How does that work? Preload starts at 4am. You don't start until 9am. They call you at 7am and tell you that you are not needed today. How would you then work the preload?:wink2:

StopTheAct

they tell you 24 hours before..... your not driving... report to pre-load!!! if you want hours!!
if thet told him to come drive.. and then that morning, they dont have anything.. he is still entitled to his 8 hours!!