New Driver Helper

Hey Everyone!
I am just fresh out of orientation today. I was told my first day on the truck would be tomorrow. Im kinda nervous. Any one have any tips. I want to best to be able to help my driver knowing that he is going to report back to the helper coordinator about how i did and that i am most likely going to be partnered with him for a month. I would really like to be able to get rehired on in the future.

All comments and tips welcome! (Especially the DAID. I Have NO training on it what so ever)

Thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Show up on time and ready to go. Dress for the weather and wear sturdy boots. No, you can't drive the truck. It would have been nice for you to have had DIAD training but if your driver has been around for awhile he/she should be able to get you up to speed fairly quickly. If you are a non-smoker hopefully your driver is the same.

You are on the truck to help. You are not there to run your ass off while the driver sits. The ideal would be for both of you to be delivering at the same time--that is where the DIAD training would come in to play.

Bust your ass and maybe they will ask you to come back after Peak is over.

Thanks upstate. I really appreciate your response. I have heard some Helpers don't do a good job and slack off. I definatly want to make a great impression with my driver and go above and beyond. I hope I can Stay on after peak. Anyone ever got bitten by a dog. Seems they stayed on that topic for 45 minutes lol.

Got A Call This morning from the helper coordinator at 9:49 am. She said driver would be calling me with in the hour. Never got a single call. Assuming he didnt need help after all. Never got a call back number but called back the phone number i was dialed from and it just rings. no vm. I give up for today. I have been waiting for 3 hours now and have been up since 6 am expecting thats when i would get a call.
Guess i wont be "browning up" today.

-I<3Logistics

Still no phone call. I live in a town outside of Portland Oregon. Probably didn't need me. Caught up on border wars on national geo. Hopefully tomorrow I will get a call. I think that not having my uniform with the driver had something to do with it. He left after she called me. She said he didn't have it and to wear something brown like and that I wouldn't be penalized because it was her fault. Hopefully tomorrow! If I did get hired on after peak what would my job most likely be?

CORLEONE

I just had my orientation today for driver helper...and as I was leaving the UPS building, I realized that they didn't train us how to use the DIAD. During the first day of interviews, they for sure said they would give the DIAD training during the orientation. So ummm....what do we do? http://www.browncafe.com/forum/members/i-3logistics/Logistics, assuming you've worked couple days now, were you required to use the DIAD, or was that the responsibility of your driver?

trharder

I'm a drivers helper that has worked for two weeks now. They did not train me on the DIAD either. I've kind of picked it up as I go along. I feel lucky to have an easy going driver that is easy to work with, but I mostly have had to learn the DIAD on my own. Search this forum for threads on the DIAD. Make a cheat sheet on your hand or on note paper if you have to. Your driver might giggle, but who cares. When you can scan, set up a sig, get the sig and complete a stop and then repeat the process, you will definitely help your driver cruise through business deliveries much easier. From reading this forum, the drivers are supposed to have a certain number of stops in the helpers board anyway. I seem to be of better use on the residentials if the driver stays in the truck and sets up stops while I hustle packages to door steps. For anybody waiting for that first call after orientation, don't wait. Call that number the gave you every morning. Here is the post from Upstate on this forum that helped me out a lot.

Using DIAD III is easy, especially for residential stops. You simply scan the package (and then wait for the DIAD to catch up--DIAD III is soooo slow) hit big arrow down and then complete the stop (driver release--select release location). It is a bit more complicated for commercial stops but nothing you can't handle. You would scan the package, hit big arrow down, and then hit signature and enter, get the signature, then hit signature, spell out the person's last name, hit enter and then select delivery location. If the delivery location has a suite number or is an apt you would enter those before hitting big arrow down. CODs would go in the driver's board. There are also multiple left at's when you would leave 2 or more stops at one stop but this is uncommon and your driver can walk you through that.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/diad-training-288712/index4.html

If the driver wants you to use the DIAD then they will teach you. im on a buisness route with a small rezi area. Picked up the diad on the first day no problem. Have been on for almost two weeks now. Its really easy. if you are in a business route im sure he/she will teach you how to use it. Signatures are required at all commercial addresses (correct me if im wrong please :) ) and some packages cant be DR'd. Diad 3 is slow as hell. My driver can open up edd scan and DR in the time it takes the diad to boot into Edd and scan.

Good luck! I personally love the route im on and the driver is really cool. I hit it off with him day one. Requested me from the start. Anyone else getting lectured about dogs alot? seems my center has gotten 8 helper injuries in a week or two. (Tualatin Oregon)

I had a driver last monday. Just for the day. it was his third day on the route. He drived crazy!!!! talking on his cell phone (illegal in oregon) typing on diad while driving and eating a hot dog. All of the above at the same time! crazy guy. 23 yr driver. cool guy just scary lol.