New driver helper

Hi everyone,

I've been working as a driver helper for a week now. I'm a fresh college graduate starting a new job in January, and this seemed like a good way to fill the gap. The generous bonuses were also a plus.

In the short time I've been with UPS I've learned A LOT about how this company really operates. I never would've imagined that those friendly UPS drivers you see driving around are treated so poorly by corporate. On Friday my driver (almost 3 decades with UPS) was nearly in tears because he was ordered to work Saturday, with very very late notice. I understand that UPS wants to maximize efficiency and production, but at this point I'm so annoyed with UPS it's not even funny. I guess it's hard to really understand what corporate greed looks like until you are living/working it yourself.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope to post more about my experience with UPS as time goes on (hell, maybe I'll even talk about my specific center come January). I worked with my driver all of last week and he seems to like me. I have found the culture among drivers to be pretty fascinating. Seniority goes a long ways, but has it's limits.

I do have one question to ask: what do you guys do to reduce your odds of falling on slippery/steep driveways? I tried using the search function but couldn't find anything. I've been using hiking boots, but I still worry about falling on some of the steeper driveways.

walk the jewels

just driving around in circles
Tag it, bag it, deliver, other, mailbox. Your safety comes first.
Or, don't be a pansy, have confidence, and keep your weight centered as you walk up that hill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DH5-----congrats on getting your diploma.

In the short time that you have been here you have learned nothing about how this company truly operates.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

DH5-----congrats on getting your diploma.

In the short time that you have been here you have learned nothing about how this company truly operates.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Point taken, although I would disagree. I've been reading a lot about the 1997 strike. I think I know much more about UPS compared to what I knew a week ago.

Your driver sounds like a :censored3:.
He told me this is the first time in his 30 yrs he's been asked to come in on a day off. He had family plans as well as an important dentist appointment which will now likely have to wait until January. Kinda ridiculous to expect someone to just "suck it up" in that situation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Point taken, although I would disagree. I've been reading a lot about the 1997 strike. I think I know much more about UPS compared to what I knew a week ago.

He told me this is the first time in his 30 yrs he's been asked to come in on a day off. He had family plans as well as an important dentist appointment which will now likely have to wait until January. Kinda ridiculous to expect someone to just "suck it up" in that situation.

What was your take on the strike?

What was your take on the strike?
that strike showed what Unions are capable of with leadership that has some backbone, and was clearly a success. I'll never be a member of the union but I'd probably support another strike. At the very least drivers shouldn't have to experience what my driver experienced on Friday

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Hi everyone,

I've been working as a driver helper for a week now. I'm a fresh college graduate starting a new job in January, and this seemed like a good way to fill the gap. The generous bonuses were also a plus.

In the short time I've been with UPS I've learned A LOT about how this company really operates. I never would've imagined that those friendly UPS drivers you see driving around are treated so poorly by corporate. On Friday my driver (almost 3 decades with UPS) was nearly in tears because he was ordered to work Saturday, with very very late notice. I understand that UPS wants to maximize efficiency and production, but at this point I'm so annoyed with UPS it's not even funny. I guess it's hard to really understand what corporate greed looks like until you are living/working it yourself.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself. I hope to post more about my experience with UPS as time goes on (hell, maybe I'll even talk about my specific center come January). I worked with my driver all of last week and he seems to like me. I have found the culture among drivers to be pretty fascinating. Seniority goes a long ways, but has it's limits.

I do have one question to ask: what do you guys do to reduce your odds of falling on slippery/steep driveways? I tried using the search function but couldn't find anything. I've been using hiking boots, but I still worry about falling on some of the steeper driveways.
When it’s icy/snowy out, you’ll have better luck walking on the side of the driveway in the grass. Better traction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

that strike showed what Unions are capable of with leadership that has some backbone, and was clearly a success. I'll never be a member of the union but I'd probably support another strike. At the very least drivers shouldn't have to experience what my driver experienced on Friday

You may not have a choice.

The strike was not about PT jobs. It was about our pensions.

When it’s icy/snowy out, you’ll have better luck walking on the side of the driveway in the grass. Better traction.
Thanks for the reply. I've been sticking to grass as much as possible, company policy be damned. I plan to break out the yaktrax when it starts freezing. Whoever invented exposed aggregate driveways needs to be hanged. I live in the pacific NW and those things are slippery death traps when it rains. Maybe I'm a pansy but I have no interest in cracking my skull open. Has anyone ever tried using a non-slip pad like these?
225a9d4d-1108-4803-b5b6-5af7cab02fbd_1.a218fca2a6c9564ae4ae9f5b7bc5c27e.jpeg

You may not have a choice.

The strike was not about PT jobs. It was about our pensions.
From what I understand the proliferation of PT jobs was one of the causes of the strike. Their motto was even "Part time America won't work". UPS created more FT jobs because of the strike. In any case I'm a FT, albeit seasonal FT, employee. Worked 42 hours last week and will probably work 50 this week. Lots of demand for driver helpers in my area

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I understand the proliferation of PT jobs was one of the causes of the strike. Their motto was even "Part time America won't work". UPS created more FT jobs because of the strike. In any case I'm a FT, albeit seasonal FT, employee. Worked 42 hours last week and will probably work 50 this week. Lots of demand for driver helpers in my area

That was the reason given to the media. The reality is the company wanted our pensions. In hindsight we should have given them to them.