New Driver Here: What are these “numbers”

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
What are these numbers that on roads look at when you’re new? I was told my “numbers” are good and I’ll be shown them when I’m back from vacation. But what are considered good and what’s not so good? I just want to know a little of what I’m looking at when I see them
then number 3 is good

quad decade guy

Give an honest effort everyday and don't give a crap about their numbers. You don't have to run or skip/work through your break and lunch. Treat yourself right because ups doesn't care about you... you're just a number. They will always try to make you do more. Do the job safely and don't take shortcuts at the customers expense... deliver the right way.

Stops per on road hour. All I really know is that every driver has a MAR SPOH. Never knew ANY driver that could work at his or her own pace....mgt. be damned. It's just not like that or any sort of reality. Not sure what "deliver the right way means". I never "gave a crap" about their numbers but you will make them or not be a pkg. driver. Now, they might not fire you for "the numbers" but they will get you one way or another. Simply, you become a target and will eventually screw up. My experience is/was "honest effort" was not enough, not at UPS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think actually they contend that the "union" doesn't recognize production numbers. And so they don't either. But yet, we all know the numbers will be met. Don't meet many 30 year guys that say yeah I was always 2 hours over.....what you didn't mention was that the "numbers" are also based on educated guesses and other "assumptions". So, mgt. contends these numbers are rock solid reliable and without fault. The union and the company(I think) agree on a fair days pay for a fair days work. Somewhere in there is reality. Intangibles are what makes or breaks your day. Gain time here, lose it there. My biggest complaint about UPS mgt. is to have busted your butt for 12 hours and to be asked "why are you late, what happened...your laying down on me etc.?" Other than that, it has been a hard but great paying job with fabulous benefits. Enough to keep me here 4 decades.
YAWN

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Never knew ANY driver that could work at his or her own pace....mgt. be damned. It's just not like that or any sort of reality. Not sure what "deliver the right way means". I never "gave a crap" about their numbers but you will make them or not be a pkg. driver.
Right to work state? Because your claimed experience at ups is much different than others.

Right to work state? Because your claimed experience at ups is much different than others.

4D43E491-3A0C-4D3D-9776-00548F316690.jpeg

quad decade guy

Well, as much as everyone bitches on this site and bitch about the same things...I'd say it's pretty much the same all over. Seems so, but here(BC) everyone is such a jerk JA that they wouldn't admit the truth or agree anyway...like you for example. On that note see ya in a week.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was gonna say. That one didn't pass the smell test.
There's a goodly number of the older guys close to retirement who run over every day, here.
Not bad workers. They just put their time in, and they aren't willing to sacrifice what's left of their knees and backs to UPS.

fishtm2001

I was gonna say. That one didn't pass the smell test.
There's a goodly number of the older guys close to retirement who run over every day, here.
Not bad workers. They just put their time in, and they aren't willing to sacrifice what's left of their knees and backs to UPS.
It might have something to do with the company always raising the bar. I always ran late and when asked by a supervisor I would generally respond that I was doing much more work than when i started and getting less time to do it.

542thruNthru

Not sure what "deliver the right way means"
Let me help you with that. It's called the 340 methods. Any driver that's been here longer than a few years should have heard about them. If you like I can post them so that you understand the right way to deliver and how production numbers are no where in them.

I never "gave a crap" about their numbers but you will make them or not be a pkg driver. Now, they might not fire you for "the numbers" but they will get you one way or another. Simply, you become a target and will eventually screw up. My experience is/was "honest effort" was not enough, not at UPS.

Spoken like a whipped dog. No wonder you became a safety committee member that runs to management with your "observation".

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Let me help you with that. It's called the 340 methods. Any driver that's been here longer than a few years should have heard about them. If you like I can post them so that you understand the right way to deliver and how production numbers are no where in them.

Spoken like a whipped dog. No wonder you became a safety committee member that runs to management with your "observation".
you only work a couple hours a day, what are your numbers

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Give him a break
He finally started formatting his post’s into an almost understandable style