New Driver looking for Help

SCSDRIVER

Hi Everyone, I am a new member who has been checking out the page for awhile now. I'm hoping somebody can give me an answer or point me to a contract section to reference. I was hired in September as a FT Driver off the street. My 1st day the HR lady I did I9 paperwork with told me that my health benefits start after 9 weeks of work. I have 14 weeks worked now and have not received any packets in the mail. I have searched the forums and found many different answers. My co-workers all have worked here so long they don't remember. I spoke with Teamcare and they told me they need 8 weeks of work history that UPS has not sent yet. The Ops manager at my facility does not know how it works. I spoke with the V.P. of the Local Union and he seems to not be sure as well. The last answer I received from the Union was, possibly 90 work days and then 8 weeks of working at least 1 day per week after that. I would just like a for sure answer so I can continue to plan financially for my market insurance until the Teamcare begins. I have found answers here from 30 days, 30 work days, 45 work days, 9 weeks, at seniority, 1 year. I have been paying Union dues from day 1 after transferring from another Union job. I have downloaded copies of the contracts and riders from the Local page. Nobody seems to have an answer to what the qualification/probation period is and I keep hitting roadblocks every avenue I try. Any help or a contract section would be greatly appreciated.

trickpony1

Call the Teamsters Union hall that you are a member of and ask the lady that answers the phone. If she can't help you she can transfer you to someone who can.

I've found these ladies to be VERY helpful.

Last edited:

SCSDRIVER

Thank you trickpony1. Unfortunately, I have tried that as well as the B.A., V.P., etc....... Unbelievable that the Union can't answer something so basic. I came from a very large company and years of Teamster membership. None of them know how the healthcare, probation, qualification work. My location hasn't hired any new drivers in quite some time so I'm not surprised they are not sure, but thought HR or the Teamsters would. I know it's a small issue but I'm paying a fortune in Cobra costs until the Teamcare kicks in. Don't want to pay for a month my coverage may start either.

trickpony1

I'll try to find the Teamcare 800 number.
Surely they would know.

EDIT: I see you've talked to TC.
I would dog your supe about why the proper records haven't been sent to TC.

You have to remember this is peak season. They can't find their rear with both hands this time of year.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I think you have to gain seniority before the weeks count towards your healthcare. But that's just a guess

trickpony1

I read the OP's first post 3 more times.
Since the OP didn't bother to mention it...I'm trying to figure out if OP is (multiple choice):

A) UPS Freight
B) UPS Pkg Car
C) SCSDriver (as the username implies) Supply Chain Solutions is a subsidiary and may have different language.
D) UPS Feeder

It would be handy if we knew this.

SCSDRIVER

We are Union here. I work in the Central region of the country. My co-workers have all kinds of info on most things. Not about what I'm looking for as most are close to retirement level and have not dealt with this for years and likely under different contract terms.

trickpony1

could your co-workers at least direct you to the office or the phone number of the office that handles medical insurance?

If they are close to retirement they frequent the medical insurance and may have a card in their wallet.

SCSDRIVER

Tried that avenue as well. They all only have their provider cards. That leads back to square one. The Teamsters say talk to UPS. UPS says talk to the Teamsters. Vicious circle, but an eye opener starting out at the company. Got their stuff together.

SCSDRIVER

I finally got a reply today from somebody. Does this sound accurate to any of you? According to their local addendum I would believe that the employee has a 90 day probationary period, where after that we begin contributions for 8 weeks to team-care.

After the 90 days and then the 8 weeks of consecutive contributions their benefits from team-care would turn on. I do not believe we would go back to do Make-up contributions for the time they were on probation.

Younggun

So I am a new CSI driver on my second week. Was that 90 days accurate for the insurance? They told me when I was hired that I would have a 30 day probation period.