New Driver Senority Question

xbl123x

I have searched this question for several weeks and have yet to find an answer and Iv talked to my union rep who has not given me a solid answer. I started driving around The middle of November of 2008 and have driven practically everyday since then. I am covered under the Western PA supplement and on the Senority list I am listed as an Air Exception Driver even though I drive mainly ground. My question is my rate when I drive strictly air is 12.50 which is the air rate at senority. I make 16.10 an hour driving ground which is the base rate before senority. How long does it take to make senority for ground? If I reached senority in air should I not of reached senority for ground also. I have been driving for four months solid. Im sorry if this is confusing. I was always under the impression that once you drove for 30 days and did not have any issues you would be qualified and that was your senority. Thank you in advance.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have searched this question for several weeks and have yet to find an answer and Iv talked to my union rep who has not given me a solid answer. I started driving around The middle of November of 2008 and have driven practically everyday since then. I am covered under the Western PA supplement and on the Senority list I am listed as an Air Exception Driver even though I drive mainly ground. My question is my rate when I drive strictly air is 12.50 which is the air rate at senority. I make 16.10 an hour driving ground which is the base rate before senority. How long does it take to make senority for ground? If I reached senority in air should I not of reached senority for ground also. I have been driving for four months solid. Im sorry if this is confusing. I was always under the impression that once you drove for 30 days and did not have any issues you would be qualified and that was your senority. Thank you in advance.

You have to be in the books as a FT cover to get in that progression. If you made your 30 days as an Air driver, then that's what you are. It soudns like you are a PT air driver being used as utility. Hopefully someone has ideas, I don't have much else.

chopstic

If you are a part time air driver. You should be getting top-wage ground driver pay for all days you performed ground work. Its about $29 an hour.

But if I was you I wouldn't even mention it. I was in the same position as you last year when I started to claim top rate ground pay. I recieved the pay for about a week then they never dispatched me on ground deliveries again. I would have rather taken the cut in wages but kept the hours delivering ground packages. in fact if it ever happens again I would never claim the ground wages

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are a part time air driver. You should be getting top-wage ground driver pay for all days you performed ground work. Its about $29 an hour.

But if I was you I wouldn't even mention it. I was in the same position as you last year when I started to claim top rate ground pay. I recieved the pay for about a week then they never dispatched me on ground deliveries again. I would have rather taken the cut in wages but kept the hours delivering ground packages. in fact if it ever happens again I would never claim the ground wages

I dont believe that air drivers just beginning the 2 year progression make top rate delivering grounds.

xbl123x

So I wont start ground rate progression until I become full time? Pretty much every day I run whatever air the drivers cant get to until 10:30 or 11 then I start my own half route of 70 or 75 ground stops. I agree I would never contest a pay raise that high They would never send me out for ground again. I was just hoping that all this time would count towards my 36 months.

Also they told me I am classified as a reg temp

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I wont start ground rate progression until I become full time? Pretty much every day I run whatever air the drivers cant get to until 10:30 or 11 then I start my own half route of 70 or 75 ground stops. I agree I would never contest a pay raise that high They would never send me out for ground again. I was just hoping that all this time would count towards my 36 months.

Are you sure you are not a cover or casual driver? If they have you run air and then run an area than you are certainly not an air driver.

xbl123x

Honestly I dont know what im classified as we are such a small center (16 routes). Since they told me I was a reg temp I just accepted that not exactly knowing what that entitles me to. Im the only extra driver we have since everyone else is full time. Ill normally work preload and then just fill in where ever they need me. If someone is on vacation Ill cover that route, or run to the airport etc... I dont think I have one straight forward classification I appreciate all your responses in trying to help me figure this out.

Overpaid Union Thug

When I was part-time I was always paid ground rate each and every time I delivered ground packages. In the Southern Region ground pay for part-timers is 85% of the top rate for full-timers. When I first started driving I was strictly an air driver. I worked saturdays and delivered air in the mornings and sometimes made p.m. pickups. My starting rate was $12.50/hr then after a couple of rasies I was at $20.62/hr after a couple of years. I started delivering ground bulk stops and then eventually started running full routes. I don't know why anyone would get paid air driver pay for delivering ground packages. You just have to take up for yourself I guess.

chopstic

There are air drivers that deliver grounds too. An exception air driver can be used as whatever- according to the contract anyway.

Well I guess it comes down to what local supplements your under, but I can tell you that I am under the "western states" supplement, I am an "exception air-driver", and I was guaranteed top driver pay when I drove ground.

But honestly... Its sounds like you have a good thing going picking up all those driving hours no matter what pay rate they are giving you. You have to be careful as a part-timer, our hours are not guaranteed. If you start poking around you might find yourself losing a lot of driving hours

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well I guess it comes down to what local supplements your under, but I can tell you that I am under the "western states" supplement, I am an "exception air-driver", and I was guaranteed top driver pay if I drove ground.

You were a top-rate exception driver though, correct?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It will take 3 years ? According to the new National Agreement. But by then they will be throwing that work onto someone making 16.50 an hour like you would be at 29/hr in 2-3 years, IMO. It would seem anyway.

chopstic

It will take 3 years ? According to the new National Agreement. But by then they will be throwing that work onto someone making 16.50 an hour like you would be at 29/hr in 2-3 years, IMO. It would seem anyway.

I think that 3 year progression is for FULL-TIME ground drivers only. It doesn't apply to part-time work

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think that 3 year progression is for FULL-TIME ground drivers only. It doesn't apply to part-time work

I understand that, and I don't think it applies here either. I'm not sure WHEN an air driver still in progression gets top driving rate. But I do think that the air driver 2 year progression applies as to when they get top rate delivering grounds. I cannot see the company giving someone 29/hr that is newly hired and I haven't seen the contract language saying so. It could be there, but I haven't read it or heard of it.

My guess - after completing air driving progression, they get air top rate and ground top rate. And when that happens, the ground work is loaded onto someone else.

some1else

Banned
My guess - after completing air driving progression, they get air top rate and ground top rate. And when that happens, the ground work is loaded onto someone else.
air driver delivering grounds is entitled to top rate regardless of senority. as mentioned above its contracted like that to keep the company from using them to be able to cut ft positions.

as mentioned above if he does request it they probably will quit giving him the work; then (if he was even originally entitled to it) he can grieve to start doing it again.

i went through this, and lost all my ground work for about a year, until they were tired of the grievances and they started to let me do it again...

xbl123x

I was asking one of the sups today and she said I am classified as a reg temp so they only have to pay me the 16.10 an hour for ground which is fine with me I was just hoping tha this would count towards progression which she informed me it does not. Im fine with the rate since they are working me 12 hours a day. Sometimes I think they are out of their mind with what they expect someone to do after preload.... heres 90 stops you have 6 hours.