new driver stressing...

a911scanner

Call it what you will, but we all know that UPS management, as an unwritten rule, will push each individual to their own breaking point. Then they will dispatch you with about 5 more stops than that.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure what you mean by "scratch"...is that the 30 probation time? If so, no I'm not through my 30 days yet.

I have no problem staying out until I'm done...although I'd rather be home before my kids are sleeping...I'm just stressed thinking that I should be getting it all done by 6:30...just don't see how I can. Doesn't help that my pre-loader is new as well so my truck is a mess when I get in and since I'm still learning I'm not getting it all set up properly before we leave

And what is this "lunch" thing...I haven't had a lunch break since I started :(
You're training and don't know what scratch is?

image.jpeg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
New driver here...been driving this same route for about 3 weeks now. Things have been going pretty good I think as I'm getting the hang of everything. I'm on what they call "a training" route (although the other drivers laugh and say it's too heavy of a run for training).

First day on the run they said "we are gonna start you off with about 20 stops less than normal for a little while so you can get the hang of things"...next 2 days I ended up with an additional 40 stops. Needless to say those days sucked and I was out pretty late. The next 2 days I had a supervisor ride along with me.

The following week they sent me out with the original count they said they would. Mon, Tues, Wed were good days and I was back at the centre by 5:30-6:00. Thurs, Fri, Mon, I went out with an additional 20 stops and did pretty good (I think anyways)...Monday I was back at 6:00.

When I got in Tuesday morning my pre-loader informed me they had upped my count by another 35 stops...I was out until 8:00 and yesterday I was out until 9:00. Tuesday I contacted my centre at 3 o'clock letting them know I would need help...never heard anything back. Yesterday I sent a message to my supervisor at 2:30 and two messages to the centre...never heard anything back from anyone.

Don't really have a question...just needed to vent a little bit I guess. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm stressing big time..
Just be a ups gangsta out there... Big baller shot caller...you will be fine kiddo.. Trust me

MrBrown

And that's where they want you. Add your hour lunch and you're back at 730. I personally think it's horse hockey, a lot of drivers love the ot but not me. In fact I booked of today another nice 3 day weekend.

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Have you ran scratch yet? If so, then you are good to go.

If not, skip your lunch one day, knock it out, then check your time upon returning.

Once you run scratch, then del by the methods....don't get stressed, that's what they want you to feel, like your playing catch up.

Welcome to UPS
As soon as you get your 30 days, no more working through lunch or breaks, that's the time you stop looking at the WOR as well!

Savvy412

^^ ya, I didnt break for my 30 now I take my 30. I dont take a hour though. I would rather get home early then sit in my truck for a extra 30 minutes at 5 aclock.. friend that. Little 30 min lunch break mid day is all I need.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

^^ ya, I didnt break for my 30 now I take my 30. I dont take a hour though. I would rather get home early then sit in my truck for a extra 30 minutes at 5 aclock.. friend that. Little 30 min lunch break mid day is all I need.

We are required to take 45 here but I would be OK with 30. 60 would be way too long.

Overpaid Union Thug

New driver here...been driving this same route for about 3 weeks now. Things have been going pretty good I think as I'm getting the hang of everything. I'm on what they call "a training" route (although the other drivers laugh and say it's too heavy of a run for training).

First day on the run they said "we are gonna start you off with about 20 stops less than normal for a little while so you can get the hang of things"...next 2 days I ended up with an additional 40 stops. Needless to say those days sucked and I was out pretty late. The next 2 days I had a supervisor ride along with me.

The following week they sent me out with the original count they said they would. Mon, Tues, Wed were good days and I was back at the centre by 5:30-6:00. Thurs, Fri, Mon, I went out with an additional 20 stops and did pretty good (I think anyways)...Monday I was back at 6:00.

When I got in Tuesday morning my pre-loader informed me they had upped my count by another 35 stops...I was out until 8:00 and yesterday I was out until 9:00. Tuesday I contacted my centre at 3 o'clock letting them know I would need help...never heard anything back. Yesterday I sent a message to my supervisor at 2:30 and two messages to the centre...never heard anything back from anyone.

Don't really have a question...just needed to vent a little bit I guess. Not sure what else I'm supposed to do. I'm stressing big time..
It's highly likely that those 20 stops they pulled shouldn't be there in the first place. The route probably doesn't need them to be a fair dispatch.

Savvy412

Ya just get ready for coming to work Monday and looking at your diad and thinking. " wait what? They must of messed up?

No. Your Monday's and Fridays will now consist of running :censored2: blind and totally throwing you off once you finally get a grip on your route . And because you only do it a day or 2 a week. It takes you months to really master it. And then when you do .. Randomly, they will give you other stuff you don't know again .but by that time you will be a lot better and you won't "freak out"

And thennnn. When you finally finally have your route down pact and you don't wake up nervous to go to work ... BID TIME!! I was lucky and had 6 years in warehouse .. And still it came down to the last 2 routes. Or you will have to be a cover driver and friend everything up . So glad I didn't have to cover

ChrisTheBrown

Ya just get ready for coming to work Monday and looking at your diad and thinking. " wait what? They must of messed up?

No. Your Monday's and Fridays will now consist of running :censored2: blind and totally throwing you off once you finally get a grip on your route . And because you only do it a day or 2 a week. It takes you months to really master it. And then when you do .. Randomly, they will give you other stuff you don't know again .but by that time you will be a lot better and you won't "freak out"

And thennnn. When you finally finally have your route down pact and you don't wake up nervous to go to work ... BID TIME!! I was lucky and had 6 years in warehouse .. And still it came down to the last 2 routes. Or you will have to be a cover driver and friend everything up . So glad I didn't have to cover
I'm a cover driver & run the same route every day that I work...It's basically a split/ training route that's in Tues-Fri, & once in a while on Mondays..
At times, they add different areas/ stops to the route..But it's nice always staying on the same route, for about two years now..& it's practically my hometown, know a lot of people in the area..So I consider that a blessing.

Evaderman

Last Tuesday my probation ended...

To celebrate the next day they didn't have any work for me and sent me home.

The 2nd day I went on a run I had never done before...it was a pretty rough day but I got through it.

The 3rd day I was on another run I had never done before and before I even got to my first stop I got a call from my sup telling me that I was "way over my time the day before and as a result I am now on upper managements radar". He then proceeded to message me on the DIAD or tell me to call him every couple of hours to tell me how far behind the regular drivers pace I was for the day.

Today I went in and again there was nothing for me and I went home.

So far being an official UPSer hasn't been all that fun...hoping things get better soon

Rack em

Made the Podium
You're in man, congrats! There's really nothing management can do at this point so just be safe and delivery one stop at a time. You are on a route you don't know so of course you aren't going to be able to have the same numbers as the normal driver. If they call you telling you that you're behind, just remind them that the pointless phone call they are making is putting you farther behind!

Evaderman

Thanks...the regular driver couldn't believe it when I told him this morning.

I'm just stressing about getting hours now...can't afford not to work too often and the whole showing up in the morning not knowing if u will work or not and trying to find someone who wants to go home so u can do there route really sucks