New driver vacation question

Cincypackagehandler

I was an inside employee for 8 years and I'm about to qualify here in the next week. As a new driver, I can't take vacation for one year, right? And after that year will I get my four weeks from my 8 years in the building or will my vacation clock start over as well? Thank you.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
For the first year they make you cash out your vacations. The next year you'll be able to get all the vacation weeks you were previously getting. BUT, if you're in a big center it'll be hard to get any good weeks as you'll be all the way at the bottom of the totem pole. Myself I went from being the number 2 highest seniority person in my area and having first pick at any vacation weeks I wanted to on the bottom and having no shot at July or August weeks. 5 years in and finally got a single July week and a couple August weeks. Took long enough.

Cincypackagehandler

For the first year they make you cash out your vacations. The next year you'll be able to get all the vacation weeks you were previously getting. BUT, if you're in a big center it'll be hard to get any good weeks as you'll be all the way at the bottom of the totem pole. Myself I went from being the number 2 highest seniority person in my area and having first pick at any vacation weeks I wanted to on the bottom and having no shot at July or August weeks. 5 years in and finally got a single July week and a couple August weeks. Took long enough.

I see, I see. I usually take odd weeks anyway. I always take the NCAA Tournament off and a three weeks in the fall to travel and watch some college football so I think I'll be okay. I appreciate the response.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
It sucks tranferring to full time. I ended up working 2 1/2 years before I could take a vacation. ( six months seasonal, 1 year part time in preload and air driving, 1 year full time driver)

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You don't lose any vacations....but make sure they pay you out for all of the ones you're owed...I got screwed out of a week last year and my steward and business agent were worthless in helping me.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I see, I see. I usually take odd weeks anyway. I always take the NCAA Tournament off and a three weeks in the fall to travel and watch some college football so I think I'll be okay. I appreciate the response.
Sounds like a plan. Throw in a few baseball trips and some hot chicks...

Cementups

Box Monkey
Seriously if this is how it works where all of you guys are, your union sucks for agreeing to that.

Here, when I picked vacations as a part timer I kept my vacations just as they were when I picked them. No cashing them out or any of that melarcky. That's a bunch of hulabaloo.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously if this is how it works where all of you guys are, your union sucks for agreeing to that.

Here, when I picked vacations as a part timer I kept my vacations just as they were when I picked them. No cashing them out or any of that melarcky. That's a bunch of hulabaloo.

If this were your business, would you honor vacations that were earned at $15/hr and pay them at $30/hr?

Turdferguson

Just a turd

What's all this razzamatazz?
Flippy man, real flippy

Cementups

Box Monkey
If this were your business, would you honor vacations that were earned at $15/hr and pay them at $30/hr?

You get paid at the rate you earned the vacation. That's how it is here. So when I went from preloader to driver I still got my vacations when I picked them and was paid my preload rate ($12 something) because I earned them while a preloader, not a driver. But when i went to full time I was already at top rate for 5 years as a part time cover driver.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

The overall supplement you are under and I was under did a lot of things right that others didn't.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The overall supplement you are under and I was under did a lot of things right that others didn't.

The correct form would be you and I were under.

Except for the fact that Cement is still working under said supplement and I, obviously, am not.

No, @cosmo1 was right in what he was saying it's just worded a little messy. And after 14 hours on the road today I'm too tired to play English teacher.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Seriously, some of the BS I hear other locals allowing or not allowing is ridiculous. It's like Central PA are the only ones who got it right. And amazingly we have one of the better pension plans in the US for Teamsters as well.