New Driver, which center would you pick?

BrownThunder

Good morning BC world,

I am starting my 30 day training tomorrow and I'm not sure which center I should pick. I work in a 3 center hub, one of the centers I for sure don't want.

One center is for a city I live in ( city x ) and am familiar with, the other is a city I'm far less familiar with (city y ). Everyone tells me city Y is a much more exciting area than city x. I was a driver helper in city y and we ran into news people, a popular sports journalist, a few athletes and saw tons of um..... Talent.... Walking around.

Kind of a silly question, but if you were me would you pick a city you know better or pick the city where you can see more?

Also, after I finish my 30 days am I pretty much married to that center or can I switch after?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Tough call. I'm fortunate that I deliver in an area I neither live in nor visit for any other reasons. The whole town in a way is my work, and I feel like I'd get tired of seeing it if I lived there or went there for fun.

In you're case though, I'd take city Y. Might make the day more exciting and it's nice to not associate where you live with work when you come home after being out thirteen hours.

rkctkc

Here in the southern supplement, in a multicenter hub, you choose which center you want considering they have an opening. You may be waiting a while. We have a driver who was assigned to a certain center when he started, and then after almost a year he wasn't getting to work, laid off alot, and starting filing grievances about not getting to choose his center. He won and got to move. They are going to try to put you where you are needed, but you do have a choice. You just may lose alot of seniority while you wait for the center you want.

BrownThunder

My last job I was a warehouse manager in an industrial area of city x. As it turns out, that area was city x's UPS training route. Before taking my manager role I was an outside sales (b2b) rep and I used to deliver and go on sales calls in that area.

As much as I like being exposed to celebs and chicks in yoga pants, I think I'd rather look at my DIAD and say to myself "I know exactly how to get to that street", or "hey I already know the receiving clerk at this address by first name"

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Good morning BC world,

I am starting my 30 day training tomorrow and I'm not sure which center I should pick. I work in a 3 center hub, one of the centers I for sure don't want.

One center is for a city I live in ( city x ) and am familiar with, the other is a city I'm far less familiar with (city y ). Everyone tells me city Y is a much more exciting area than city x. I was a driver helper in city y and we ran into news people, a popular sports journalist, a few athletes and saw tons of um..... Talent.... Walking around.

Kind of a silly question, but if you were me would you pick a city you know better or pick the city where you can see more?

Also, after I finish my 30 days am I pretty much married to that center or can I switch after?
Sorry to rain on your parade, it's not your choice. Sorry.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
We had a guy turn down full time driving in my center because he wanted to work a different one. Well it worked for him, and now I'm thinking I should have done the same thing.

BrownThunder

You'll learn streets and addresses quickly. I'd pick yoga pants
I like your style bud. It's still a toss up and although I'm leaning towards my home town the other city and what I've witnessed has me very interested in working a route out there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I am 54 but people tell me I look 10 years younger so there goes your theory.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1443991434.871901.jpg