New driver with questions. Local sups with no answers

Ladylucky13

Im listing all the facts followed by my question.
• I got hired October 7th as full-time package driver
• first day on road was November 4th
•I drove not the supervisor and it was not a full route only a few bulk stops same thing for my day two, never had day three.
•peak season begin so did hiring a pvds. since I had experience doing PVD last peak season I ended up training about 90% of the pvds for our center
•all of peak season I assisted with pvds. help to get their packages set up in order, loaded in the car and get them out on road delivering.
• I would then run all of the irregular packages off of PVDs they couldn't deliver.
• All this time two guys I went to school with have the same hire date as I do are driving everyday on a route
•at this point each season is over and they realize I never had the 3-day training that you're supposed to get but I shouldn't have been driving a truck at all this whole time.
•I am still currently waiting for them to find time to properly train me. Working reload and preload to get my 8 hours
•also two covered drivers drive every single day that Ive been laid off
Ok I think I covered all of the info so my question is what now because the other two I went to school with alphabetically are behind me but are already getting to drive I can't even get trained

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Being "properly trained" shouldn't make a difference unless they try to disqualify you. You need to track down a steward and ask them about getting management to get you your days in. If you don't get your 30 days in 90, you'll either be dq'ed automatically, or have to start qualification over.

Ladylucky13

Well I guess my question would be since we have same hire date, after completing intergrad how is it decided who gets to start training on a route first??

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Well I guess my question would be since we have same hire date, after completing intergrad how is it decided who gets to start training on a route first??

You haven't attained seniority yet. If it's done by alphabetical order with the same seniority date, then you need to make sure you get through your qualification to maintain your seniority date.

Ladylucky13

None of us have made our 30 packet because of peak season. And now since volume is down we have been getting layoff, but other two guys have got to work some. Like pre-load and then run air. We all got a full week lay off this week w/o notice. It's a small center we don't have 22.4 drivers. But they are saying bcuz I haven't completed my 3days with a supervisor riding I can't even delivery air on Sat to keep my pay from dropping after so many days without a punch driving.
Well since nobodies asked yet

How hot of an Ol gal are ya

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
None of us have made our 30 packet because of peak season. And now since volume is down we have been getting layoff, but other two guys have got to work some. Like pre-load and then run air. We all got a full week lay off this week w/o notice. It's a small center we don't have 22.4 drivers. But they are saying bcuz I haven't completed my 3days with a supervisor riding I can't even delivery air on Sat to keep my pay from dropping after so many days without a punch driving.

If the other guys are getting work and you're not, the only option I can think of for you is to complain about sexual discrimination.

Indecisi0n

Do you want a reality check?
It goes by who they like the most and gets the most work done in the shortest time. You’re not in the union so none of those rules apply. They can cut you for no reason whatsoever.

Ladylucky13

RPCD
IMG_20210115_211540366_HDR~2.jpg

Ladylucky13

Rite... Thank u for reality check in all seriousness. And one of the two guys is buddies with the center supervisor, but he is pretty slow on road. The other guy is.... Well let me say I found what I thought was a Gatorade bottle I truck and went to throw it away it wasn't gatorade and it wasn't closed all the way. But when I stepped out of truck on belt he happened to be standing there and I said, "hey don't be this guy, throw it pee bottles away each day!" And he said, " I would never do that I just pee an the side of the house." So that pretty much sums up guy 2. So basically I'm low man on totem pole. I know what an opportunity it is to get this position. I've got heart and I'm a hard worker. So if I have to work pre load and reload for a while I'm willing to do that.

Ladylucky13

Do you want a reality check?
It goes by who they like the most and gets the most work done in the shortest time. You’re not in the union so none of those rules apply. They can cut you for no reason whatsoever.
So just to be clear cuz no one at my center seems to know or want to say.... The 30 day probationary period and 30day packet are they the same? Cuz I have worked 30 days even without counting any of peak season. So does that mean I'm an employee for ups even if they dq me

Indecisi0n

So just to be clear cuz no one at my center seems to know or want to say.... It 30 day probationary period and it 30day packet are they the same. Cuz I have worked 30 days even without counting any of peak season. So does that mean I'm an employee for ups even if they dq me
Does your local even have a 30 day policy for either ? You are asking people online that have no idea about your locals rules. You need to talk to your local rep or BA.

Ladylucky13

Ok. I gotcha. I have the master agreement and the southern region supplemental. Does it get narrower than that as far as specific to the region

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So just to be clear cuz no one at my center seems to know or want to say.... The 30 day probationary period and 30day packet are they the same? Cuz I have worked 30 days even without counting any of peak season. So does that mean I'm an employee for ups even if they dq me

Being proof of this and talk to your business agent

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok. I gotcha. I have the master agreement and the southern region supplemental. Does it get narrower than that as far as specific to the region
Southern Region Supplement
"ARTICLE 46 – ACQUISITION OF SENIORITY
SECTION 1 – PROBATIONARY PERIOD
A new employee shall work under the provisions of this Agreement but shall be employed only on a thirty (30) working day trial basis, during which period the employee may be discharged without fur- ther recourse, provided however, that the Employer may not dis- charge or discipline for the purpose of evading this Agreement or discriminating against Union members. On the thirty-frst (31st) working day within one hundred and twenty (120) consecutive day period, the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and the employee’s seniority date shall be the frst day worked within the one hundred and twenty (120) day period."

"ARTICLE 48 – SENIORITY SECTION 1 – SENIORITY ROSTERS/POSTINGS
(A) Seniority, as measured by length of continuous service with the Employer, shall prevail as spelled out in this Agreement at all times. Seniority shall be gained on the thirty-frst (31st) working day within a one hundred twenty (120) day period the employee shall be placed on the regular seniority list and their seniority date shall be the frst day worked within the one hundred twenty (120) day period. The days of orientation, up to ten (10) days for full-time employees and up to fve (5) days for part-time employees, shall not count toward the acquisition of seniority."

The rules for qualifying as a driver may be in a local contract. You should have attained company seniority, but, if your driver qualification rules are similar to ours, you wouldn't have completed the qualification for attaining seniority as a full time driver. You were hired as a full time driver though, so your BA will have to figure out where you stand.