New driver

Oak

My biggest thing seemed to be finding packages.

Finding a way to remember your next five stops, how many packages and where they are in the car will help you more than you may imagine. It takes time, but once you've done that, you will find yourself knowing which packages those are before you even get to the stop because you've already seen them.

I also found it useful to write something down every day that I learned.

Hang in there.

putrefaction

Hey I'm new too. I'm on day 12. My first 4 days were the worst and very stressful. Not to mention the first 3 days were with a supervisor. Day 5 and 6 I was over allowed an hour plus but never needed help. I've been scratching since then. Just keep learning the route it will click eventually. Don't look for a package for more then 100 seconds. You can always go back unless it's a business. Then you're out of luck. Best of luck to you!

MynameisNeigan

Just be glad u didn't start on peak season. I was put on the road with no training. Sup said if you have any problems call me. Luckily I never had issues with addresses and navigation.

ManInBrown

I literally did the same myself and as others have said it comes to you. 30 years later and I am still here....keep plugging along.
Sucking at the job has it's benefits if you consistently suck all the time. :)
They won't be too much in a hurry to send you out blind in areas you have no clue where you are. Way back when drivers more senior then me always were sent blind before me because they knew if they sent myself it would be a total debacle in short time. They also won't expect a lot from you......and you'll get sent help. I have no shame accepting whatsoever and neither should you. Just the other day I told them I'd be in at 10pm and needed help with some over 70's. And they sent a chick driver to come bail me out. Got help with the resi heavies and dumped about 40 packages on her......laughed it off......and went merrily on my way.

Always apply this little quote a steward gave me many many years ago when you are knee deep in it out there. And that is "Don't sweat the petty things, but pet the sweaty things". :)

My own saying in general and that I apply whenever they bury me with too much work is "I have plenty of time.....and UPS has plenty of money".

Now pull up your pants and get out there and don't be a little bitch quitter. Do your job and flip the tables on them. Don't have the job make you too miserable, rather make them miserable in having to deal with you.

PEACE!!
Yup. It's a very fine line, but if you can nail it, you're golden. Do just enough to get hired, but not enough to seem overly competent. I work with a bunch of drivers like that. Good friend of mine said they called him in the office last week and asked him to try to get his over allowed under 100 clicks. LOLOL

vvv

Yup. It's a very fine line, but if you can nail it, you're golden. Do just enough to get hired, but not enough to seem overly competent. I work with a bunch of drivers like that. Good friend of mine said they called him in the office last week and asked him to try to get his over allowed under 100 clicks. LOLOL
That's good stuff!! Shoot.......100 clicks?? If I ever managed to get under 200-250 they'd be shocked and have a cake for the center.

Notcool

I started three weeks ago the first weeks on a new area is hard but for me after week two I knew basically where to go. You will too, just don't panic. I started scratching and coming it at 530, 6 then the made me help others in my third week. Now there giving me more resi. It's insane. Try to associate address numbers with the building it will come. Stick it out. I felt like quiting Monday. My truck was blown close to 500 pieces and a shuttle came to me. I was stressed but just kept going and it came off eventually.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Feeling comfortable FT driving was not a slow process for me. On day 3 and especially 4, everything suddenly clicked. Do not feel bad for quitting though, you can always try again. And it isn't for everyone..

putrefaction

Just drive real fast to your next stop. If packages fall off of the shelves and you can't find them just go to details and not found the stop magically disappears. If a customer doesn't answer the door on a non dr just sign your name and hide the package in the bush. You'll scratch every day. Oh and hold your pee for as long as possible. I peed like 2 times last week.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here's a few things I've done that helped me as I learned a route.

1) Park the same way at every pickup. Don't try to guess if it's going to be 2 or 20. It will save you time.

2) Set goals and milestones as you work the route. On one route at noon, I'd want to have 50 stops done or be at a certain area by then. You can't predict air or bulk stops but I would know by noon if I was behind or ahead of schedule.

3) This ones a tricky union issue. If you are on your 30 day or have not made book, don't take your full lunch if you're behind. It's more important for you to show you can finish in time, than to be a union lunch hero. Obviously, California would give you no choice but take some time for yourself after the route is done. Once you've made it, then work your lunch where it's suppose to be. By that time, you've built yourself into a better driver.

4) Smile at the commercial stops you go to everyday. You walk in looking like a pissed off jerk, they won't care if they hold you up.

5) As you clear out bulk, make yourself some room in the aisle especially behind your bulkhead door. Use a marker and write the PAL# on bigger boxes and push them under the shelves. It'll be easier for you to remember that box from the 4000's is there.

6) Put your call tags in delivery order and put them where your DVIR book is, EVERY DAY. The best drivers do the job the same way every day.

Just a few tips. I can't even imagine having to learn a new route by looking only at ORION. I don't know if I'd make it myself.
This company has made an easy job, more difficult for the new guys. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other cover drivers.

MynameisNeigan

For the new drivers that don't know how to find addresses. On most places odd number addresses are on your NORTH and EAST. Even numbers are on SOUTH and WEST.
Also streets run east west west east and avenues north south south north.

This only helps if you know how to find north, and if you know which is an even number and which is odd. (Yes i know drivers so dumb they don't know the difference)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
For the new drivers that don't know how to find addresses. On most places odd number addresses are on your NORTH and EAST. Even numbers are on SOUTH and WEST.

This only helps if you know how to find north, and if you know which is an even number and which is odd. (Yes i know drivers so dumb they don't know the difference)

Not always

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Here's a few things I've done that helped me as I learned a route.

1) Park the same way at every pickup. Don't try to guess if it's going to be 2 or 20. It will save you time.

2) Set goals and milestones as you work the route. On one route at noon, I'd want to have 50 stops done or be at a certain area by then. You can't predict air or bulk stops but I would know by noon if I was behind or ahead of schedule.

3) This ones a tricky union issue. If you are on your 30 day or have not made book, don't take your full lunch if you're behind. It's more important for you to show you can finish in time, than to be a union lunch hero. Obviously, California would give you no choice but take some time for yourself after the route is done. Once you've made it, then work your lunch where it's suppose to be. By that time, you've built yourself into a better driver.

4) Smile at the commercial stops you go to everyday. You walk in looking like a :censored2: off jerk, they won't care if they hold you up.

5) As you clear out bulk, make yourself some room in the aisle especially behind your bulkhead door. Use a marker and write the PAL# on bigger boxes and push them under the shelves. It'll be easier for you to remember that box from the 4000's is there.

6) Put your call tags in delivery order and put them where your DVIR book is, EVERY DAY. The best drivers do the job the same way every day.

Just a few tips. I can't even imagine having to learn a new route by looking only at ORION. I don't know if I'd make it myself.
This company has made an easy job, more difficult for the new guys. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other cover drivers.
We track working through lunch now unfortunately.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We track working through lunch now unfortunately.
why unfortunately??? if every driver took their full lunch and breaks the company would be freaking out!! next contract lets get it so ALL the diads go off at a time of your choosing between 11-3, lets say. When you get to a good place to stop for lunch you put into the diad how much lunch and or breaks you want to take.. then it tells you " the diad will now shut down for 35 minutes" for example...on your breaks you can take them at any time but the diad will still shut down. This would solve almost all of the problems the company and drivers have with lunch issues...

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
why unfortunately??? if every driver took their full lunch and breaks the company would be freaking out!! next contract lets get it so ALL the diads go off at a time of your choosing between 11-3, lets say. When you get to a good place to stop for lunch you put into the diad how much lunch and or breaks you want to take.. then it tells you " the diad will now shut down for 35 minutes" for example...on your breaks you can take them at any time but the diad will still shut down. This would solve almost all of the problems the company and drivers have with lunch issues...
The company would never allow it, they'd lose a fortune on Fridays !!!!

Brownsfan

Everything thing is hard in the beginning. When you were a child learning to walk meant having the courage to fall on your face. The real skill wasn't that you learned to walk the real skill is that you learned to get up.
If you want to be a driver you have got to thirst and hunger for it. I tell all the people in our building you only have to be great for 6 weeks and after that you just have to be your consistent self after that.
One trick you can use is when you get that 1000 shelf clear don't be afraid to use it to move the early part of your 2000 shelf up to it so you have room to find what your looking for. And when your looking don't panic but have a sense of urgency that follows you around every second your working.
Do what you have to do to run as close to scratch as possible. Also if you have air pick ups take a tote or a bag and put the envelopes in them so you do t worry.
Do one stop at a time as fast as you can and then repeat.
Stay calm, stay hungry, and be smart.

MethodsMan

I was a train wreck in the beginning. Like completely through my 30 days. My center manager at the time didn't like me. But, my sup who trained me liked me and knew I had a good work ethic. I made seniority. Haven't looked back.

Even if you suck, act like you want it and show that you're hungry to make it.

Once you make book and go top scale, have your own route, the job is cake. After a while its just going through the motions. Prepare to deal with very stupid people though out in the general public. Just learn to keep your cool.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

Lol. Or look at first add possible on street or use ur map on phone. Lol