New driver

Box Ox

Prepare to deal with very stupid people though out in the general public. Just learn to keep your cool.

This for sure. A very occasional customer won't like where you parked, when you showed up, hates the world and wants you to pay for it, etc. Give 'em a "sorry" to let them win and keep rolling. And then roll it off your shoulder over the next few stops. Business as usual. If it stays on your mind you won't be able to clean up after ORION as effectively going forward in the route.

Box Ox

We track working through lunch now unfortunately.

So a driver trying to qualify running ODO has to figure out what exactly only a seasoned driver would understand ORION wants him/her to do and can't catch a break with the lunch. Yikes. ORION isn't always wrong with the crazy cuts between areas, but it seems like the deck is really being stacked against new drivers who don't know areas. UPS could lose out on some potentially very good drivers who just don't have detailed area knowledge and can't gain it within a few weeks.

Softconcrete

The area knowledge is killing me. I never been to this town before. Then when my next stop is a street I'm not familiar with I kind of panic and when I need to go in the back and don't find the package I need right away I freak out

Box Ox

The area knowledge is killing me. I never been to this town before. Then when my next stop is a street I'm not familiar with I kind of panic and when I need to go in the back and don't find the package I need right away I freak out

Just keep your head on straight, obviously. A day will come when you know everything you're running but it's not gonna be during the qualifying period. You lose your head and you're done. Keep it and it'll become like riding a bike.

Brownsfan

Print out maps and tape them to the visor. That way you can look up instead of looking at your phone. Also study the Orion computer in the morning so yourmore familiar with where your headed. If you can't find the pkg and you'll be in the area later, then get it when your back in the area. That way you don't spend precious time looking for a 2000 spa loaded on shelf 8000

Jess

Here's a few things I've done that helped me as I learned a route.

1) Park the same way at every pickup. Don't try to guess if it's going to be 2 or 20. It will save you time.

2) Set goals and milestones as you work the route. On one route at noon, I'd want to have 50 stops done or be at a certain area by then. You can't predict air or bulk stops but I would know by noon if I was behind or ahead of schedule.

3) This ones a tricky union issue. If you are on your 30 day or have not made book, don't take your full lunch if you're behind. It's more important for you to show you can finish in time, than to be a union lunch hero. Obviously, California would give you no choice but take some time for yourself after the route is done. Once you've made it, then work your lunch where it's suppose to be. By that time, you've built yourself into a better driver.

4) Smile at the commercial stops you go to everyday. You walk in looking like a :censored2: off jerk, they won't care if they hold you up.

5) As you clear out bulk, make yourself some room in the aisle especially behind your bulkhead door. Use a marker and write the PAL# on bigger boxes and push them under the shelves. It'll be easier for you to remember that box from the 4000's is there.

6) Put your call tags in delivery order and put them where your DVIR book is, EVERY DAY. The best drivers do the job the same way every day.

Just a few tips. I can't even imagine having to learn a new route by looking only at ORION. I don't know if I'd make it myself.
This company has made an easy job, more difficult for the new guys. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other cover drivers.
Here's a few things I've done that helped me as I learned a route.

1) Park the same way at every pickup. Don't try to guess if it's going to be 2 or 20. It will save you time.

2) Set goals and milestones as you work the route. On one route at noon, I'd want to have 50 stops done or be at a certain area by then. You can't predict air or bulk stops but I would know by noon if I was behind or ahead of schedule.

3) This ones a tricky union issue. If you are on your 30 day or have not made book, don't take your full lunch if you're behind. It's more important for you to show you can finish in time, than to be a union lunch hero. Obviously, California would give you no choice but take some time for yourself after the route is done. Once you've made it, then work your lunch where it's suppose to be. By that time, you've built yourself into a better driver.

4) Smile at the commercial stops you go to everyday. You walk in looking like a :censored2: off jerk, they won't care if they hold you up.

5) As you clear out bulk, make yourself some room in the aisle especially behind your bulkhead door. Use a marker and write the PAL# on bigger boxes and push them under the shelves. It'll be easier for you to remember that box from the 4000's is there.

6) Put your call tags in delivery order and put them where your DVIR book is, EVERY DAY. The best drivers do the job the same way every day.

Just a few tips. I can't even imagine having to learn a new route by looking only at ORION. I don't know if I'd make it myself.
This company has made an easy job, more difficult for the new guys. Don't be afraid to ask questions to other cover drivers.

I love everything about this post! You just perfectly described my routine as a Driver!!

I have been driving just for over a year now. Just keep at it, it gets easier and better. Here are some things that helped me and still help me:
1. The sooner you can walk thru your truck the easier your day gets. Get irregs and bulk out as early as you can.
2. I still print maps daily, even if I've ran the route 50 plus times it helps.
3. Keep a little notebook w notes on the route, businesses that are tucked in residential areas, your hours, misloads etc...cover your ass
4. Communicate w your sup, oms, your loop partners. If you can't find a NDA let them know you can't find it. Bc maybe you don't have it or it was loaded incorrectly bc it happens...occasionally.
5. If you get blown out or bulked out, do what you can reach; from the front or rear door. Once you get space, sort your next five stops and be on your way
6. I know you are trying to make good time but take 5-10 daily to sort your truck, label your packages w a big marker w the HIN# if that's not already done, look for misloads. I struggled tremdously w truck organization until recently
7 if your route is heavy on pick up volume, use that marker or a send again notice to know where your pu volume starts and your delivery volume ends so you don't mix packages
8. Don't be afraid to break trace. If you have one stop on your 3000 shelf that is taking over the truck knock it out after your air before your 1000 and 2000 to get you some room
9 Work safe, drive safer
10 Own the road. Tight street in a residential, no room to pull over, don't, throw the flashers make the delivery and be on. People might have to wait 1-2 mins. Tough. This is your job, you don't honk at their job. Don't let them take bread off your table and away from your family

Every day there is 30 seconds to 5 min to 8 hours where I want to scream, cry, quit, and throw boxes bc the job is hard at times, your preloader smokes too much weed, or there is too much :censored2: In your truck but keep moving keep pushing along. I used to laugh about drivers saying one stop at a time one package at a time. But honestly they are right. Just knock one out, then another one out, and another. Next thing your know your day is over.

vvv

I have been driving just for over a year now. Just keep at it, it gets easier and better. Here are some things that helped me and still help me:
1. The sooner you can walk thru your truck the easier your day gets. Get irregs and bulk out as early as you can.
2. I still print maps daily, even if I've ran the route 50 plus times it helps.
3. Keep a little notebook w notes on the route, businesses that are tucked in residential areas, your hours, misloads etc...cover your ass
4. Communicate w your sup, oms, your loop partners. If you can't find a NDA let them know you can't find it. Bc maybe you don't have it or it was loaded incorrectly bc it happens...occasionally.
5. If you get blown out or bulked out, do what you can reach; from the front or rear door. Once you get space, sort your next five stops and be on your way
6. I know you are trying to make good time but take 5-10 daily to sort your truck, label your packages w a big marker w the HIN# if that's not already done, look for misloads. I struggled tremdously w truck organization until recently
7 if your route is heavy on pick up volume, use that marker or a send again notice to know where your pu volume starts and your delivery volume ends so you don't mix packages
8. Don't be afraid to break trace. If you have one stop on your 3000 shelf that is taking over the truck knock it out after your air before your 1000 and 2000 to get you some room
9 Work safe, drive safer
10 Own the road. Tight street in a residential, no room to pull over, don't, throw the flashers make the delivery and be on. People might have to wait 1-2 mins. Tough. This is your job, you don't honk at their job. Don't let them take bread off your table and away from your family

Every day there is 30 seconds to 5 min to 8 hours where I want to scream, cry, quit, and throw boxes bc the job is hard at times, your preloader smokes too much weed, or there is too much :censored2: In your truck but keep moving keep pushing along. I used to laugh about drivers saying one stop at a time one package at a time. But honestly they are right. Just knock one out, then another one out, and another. Next thing your know your day is over.
All sounds good but I NEVER obstruct traffic in any way. If needed OP......park a block down and walk it back. You are not out there to be an annoyance/hindrance to people needing to pass by.

Over 70

All sounds good but I NEVER obstruct traffic in any way. If needed OP......park a block down and walk it back. You are not out there to be an annoyance/hindrance to people needing to pass by.

I disagree here, the methods that have been rammed down my throat since day one is to block traffic (on a side street) so people can't try to squeeze by you. I'm not suggesting you do this on a main road, I'd take your advice then. They'll have to wait less time then a traffic light.

Also, a little common sense. If I am going to be a few minutes wrestling around with 10 pkgs and an overweight might want to find a place to pull off.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Something I think all new qualifying drivers should do is try and learn the route BEFORE they start qualifying...

1. Ask the normal driver questions!
2. Study the area beforehand
3. Follow the driver doing the route for a day and learn the delivery points. Watch where they park and deliver commercial stops.
4. Learn how to stack a cart (safely) to get the most packages on it so you don't have to double trip.

Other random stuff...

5. For pick ups that are out of the way and aren't on the smart pick up system, call them beforehand because sometimes places won't have anything to pick up. There are 3 pick ups on one route here that save you easily 35 minutes which can be used to deliver more instead of driving there only to find out there is nothing to pick up.

6. Don't drive like an idiot. Not only do you increase your risk of an accident, but packages will fly all over the place in the back. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

7. If you can, turn Orion off! RDO is king and will allow you to get used to doing the same thing instead of running circles. Plus like the above poster said, you will start to learn when you are behind or not because you will know where you should be at what time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For pick ups that are out of the way and aren't on the smart pick up system, call them beforehand because sometimes places won't have anything to pick up.

While this does make sense, pickup customers pay upward of $20/week to see your smiling face, not listen to your voice.

Your best bet is to try to convert these infrequent shippers to a Smart Pickup. Let them know that you will only show up if they have processed a package one hour prior to their cutoff time and that they will save 50% on their weekly pickup charge.

I have converted three of my pickups to the Smart Pickup; granted, I am in the city, so I don't save a lot of time, but it is nice to get that green light knowing that I don't have to stop there.

I was surprised when the Walmart Vision Center became a Smart Pickup as they ship something out nearly every day.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
While this does make sense, pickup customers pay upward of $20/week to see your smiling face, not listen to your voice.

Your best bet is to try to convert these infrequent shippers to a Smart Pickup. Let them know that you will only show up if they have processed a package one hour prior to their cutoff time and that they will save 50% on their weekly pickup charge.

I have converted three of my pickups to the Smart Pickup; granted, I am in the city, so I don't save a lot of time, but it is nice to get that green light knowing that I don't have to stop there.

I was surprised when the Walmart Vision Center became a Smart Pickup as they ship something out nearly every day.
I have a few rural pickups I would like to switch to Smart Pickups. First I have to convince them to stop using the pickup book.

vvv

I disagree here, the methods that have been rammed down my throat since day one is to block traffic (on a side street) so people can't try to squeeze by you. I'm not suggesting you do this on a main road, I'd take your advice then. They'll have to wait less time then a traffic light.

Also, a little common sense. If I am going to be a few minutes wrestling around with 10 pkgs and an overweight might want to find a place to pull off.
I'll agree that you never want people to have an opportunity to squeeze by. But listen to your own words......"they rammed it down your throat". So because UPS wants to save some money by having drivers park as close to a stop as possible, you'll roll over and listen and disrupt traffic flow and inconvenience other drivers? Do as you wish but I don't buy all the crap they sling and sell and follow nonsense orders like that.
Just because we drive for a living making deliveries doesn't give you the right to park like a dick.

Over 70

I'll agree that you never want people to have an opportunity to squeeze by. But listen to your own words......"they rammed it down your throat". So because UPS wants to save some money by having drivers park as close to a stop as possible, you'll roll over and listen and disrupt traffic flow and inconvenience other drivers? Do as you wish but I don't buy all the crap they sling and sell and follow nonsense orders like that.
Just because we drive for a living making deliveries doesn't give you the right to park like a dick.

Making someone wait 10 seconds isn't being a dick....

Nine5

I literally did the same myself and as others have said it comes to you. 30 years later and I am still here....keep plugging along.
Sucking at the job has it's benefits if you consistently suck all the time. :)
They won't be too much in a hurry to send you out blind in areas you have no clue where you are. Way back when drivers more senior then me always were sent blind before me because they knew if they sent myself it would be a total debacle in short time. They also won't expect a lot from you......and you'll get sent help. I have no shame accepting whatsoever and neither should you. Just the other day I told them I'd be in at 10pm and needed help with some over 70's. And they sent a chick driver to come bail me out. Got help with the resi heavies and dumped about 40 packages on her......laughed it off......and went merrily on my way.

Always apply this little quote a steward gave me many many years ago when you are knee deep in it out there. And that is "Don't sweat the petty things, but pet the sweaty things". :)

My own saying in general and that I apply whenever they bury me with too much work is "I have plenty of time.....and UPS has plenty of money".

Now pull up your pants and get out there and don't be a little bitch quitter. Do your job and flip the tables on them. Don't have the job make you too miserable, rather make them miserable in having to deal with you.

PEACE!!
So you admit you still suck??or do you just pretend to?

a911scanner

I sucked for almost the first year. Finally seemed to "get it", although I still avoid learning new routes. Don't worry so much and keep trying.