New driver

Kevin W

Kevin W
hey just got a few simple questions. I'm 25yo and I will be starting my training September 5th, I'm leaving my current job because I see a better future in ups. At my current job I'm making 1200$ a week salary with no guarantee of a raise, the benefits sucks I pay 45$ each check and the pension plan is garbage. At ups I'm starting at 17.75$hly and wil be paying 34$hly in 4yrs but there's no guarantee but HR said I can keep trying if I don't make it the first time. Is this a wise choice ?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

hey just got a few simple questions. I'm 25yo and I will be starting my training September 5th, I'm leaving my current job because I see a better future in ups. At my current job I'm making 1200$ a week salary with no guarantee of a raise, the benefits sucks I pay 45$ each check and the pension plan is garbage. At ups I'm starting at 17.75$hly and wil be paying 34$hly in 4yrs but there's no guarantee but HR said I can keep trying if I don't make it the first time. Is this a wise choice ?
No.

P

pickup

Ok, let me add some info so that you can have a more educated decision.

You need 30 working days in a certain calendar period to be kept on permanently. Where I am at , it is 30 in 60 calendar days.

We also have a freeze period during which working days don't count for squat. That period around here is oct 15 to Jan 10.

So with your start date of Sept 5, Tuesday, and if you work 4 days that week and 5 days a week afterwards, you will have only accumulated 29 working days before the freeze period. So you are what they call a casual driver and they will work you all the way until Christmas and then not need you.

Sure there is a chance of you getting hired permanently. There is also a far better chance that you won't . There is also a 6 to 1 ratio of hiring for full time PERMANENT drivers. 5 guys from the hub get the chance before you or any other casual gets the permanent slot. You probably weren't told this during your interviews.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What kind of work is the first job? Do you work overtime?

With this job, you will be working overtime and every Saturday.