New driver

BostonGuy

New driver here and need some general advice.
Here is whats up. I have worked i preload for a year. Almost to the day I was offered a driving job. I agreed and took test/training and have since completed first few days with an on road supervisor as well as having a few days on my own. I am very leery of all the language being used i.e. R.P.C.D -T.C.D.- Cover driver and seasonal driver!! Then the ratios 22.4s??
I want to know what I should be aiming for in the short and long term and I dont want to be burned out in a month. Any advice is greatly appreciated

quad decade guy

Here is whats up. I have worked i preload for a year. Almost to the day I was offered a driving job. I agreed and took test/training and have since completed first few days with an on road supervisor as well as having a few days on my own. I am very leery of all the language being used i.e. R.P.C.D -T.C.D.- Cover driver and seasonal driver!! Then the ratios 22.4s??
I want to know what I should be aiming for in the short and long term and I dont want to be burned out in a month. Any advice is greatly appreciated
It is what it is. It never changes(the job). Maybe gets worse. Adapt or perish. Leery? Of what? Driver to feeder or mgt. There is nothing else unless you quit. Understand that and accept it. Simple really. Want a lifetime of hard stressful work? Forget about "language". It's all about back breaking work and lot's of sweat.

GenericUsername

Your long term goal will be RPCD. Those are the grumpy old bastards who come in 5 days a week and run the same route...or go home all but 2 days of the week because they have the seniority.

22.4 are the younger guys who just got to full time. They're basically discount drivers as they don't get paid as much, however, it's still a full time position. This is your stepping stone to becoming a RPCD. This is the short term goal.

You're most likely just doing peak driving though. Use this time to the best you can to learn how to use the diad efficiently and learning area. You'll eventually have to qualify to become a 22.4/cover driver/whatever and having the knowledge of using the board is a huge hurdle to not have to deal with while trying to learn a training route and all the other processes.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why are you worrying about stuff that will more than likely never effect you

You’ll be back in the hub before long

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
It is what it is. It never changes(the job). Maybe gets worse. Adapt or perish. Leery? Of what? Driver to feeder or mgt. There is nothing else unless you quit. Understand that and accept it. Simple really. Want a lifetime of hard stressful work? Forget about "language". It's all about back breaking work and lot's of sweat.
If you’re breaking your back & sweating a lot , you’re doing the job wrong...

quad decade guy

If you’re breaking your back & sweating a lot , you’re doing the job wrong...
Oh? I certainly know of so many back surgeries(co-workers) I've lost count. Knees, shoulders.....even a few hips. You must be a STUD!

You don't sweat? You must be in mgt. Ever delivered in 107 degree heat? Ever been in a hub? Where do you think those salt stains on uniforms come from? They painted on? Is that why pkg. drivers run to feeders?

Shift Inhibit

Oh? I certainly know of so many back surgeries(co-workers) I've lost count. Knees, shoulders.....even a few hips. You must be a STUD!

You don't sweat? You must be in mgt. Ever delivered in 107 degree heat? Ever been in a hub? Where do you think those salt stains on uniforms come from? They painted on? Is that why pkg. drivers run to feeders?
Calm down

Shift Inhibit

I am calm. Anyone that ever worked at UPS would never say such a thing unless they were in mgt. or never did the job.
I’m not in management, and I’ve been doing the job ( pkg car) for 18 yrs now. I’m just saying if you’re breaking your back everyday that’s not the way to work. But you’re too damn thick headed to understand my point. And sure , I did bust my ass & sweat a lot first few yrs, but then I wised up. (Started in the unload too on night sort)

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What has been posted already is all true.
There isn't a street in Boston that I haven't driven on.
Plantar Fasciitis is what ended my 39 year career.
Just work hard, but safely.
Mgt will jerk you around, never believe the promises because most are lies.
Always before going on a new route, get a print out of the last guy who did the run.
Whenever possible learn how to get around traffic issues.
And most importantly if you ever find yourself on a route near a college campus, Boston has way to many.
Schedule your off time around move in and move out weeks.
Nothing ruins your day like finding yourself trapped on a side street between UHauls.

quad decade guy

I’m not in management, and I’ve been doing the job ( pkg car) for 18 yrs now. I’m just saying if you’re breaking your back everyday that’s not the way to work. But you’re too damn thick headed to understand my point. And sure , I did bust my ass & sweat a lot first few yrs, but then I wised up. (Started in the unload too on night sort)
18 years....well good chance I've worked at UPS as long as you've been alive. Say, so you just work here for the fun of it? I mean being a savvy investor and all. Independently wealthy and all...In your thirties right? Why are you still at UPS?

quad decade guy

What has been posted already is all true.
There isn't a street in Boston that I haven't driven on.
Plantar Fasciitis is what ended my 39 year career.
Just work hard, but safely.
Mgt will jerk you around, never believe the promises because most are lies.
Always before going on a new route, get a print out of the last guy who did the run.
Whenever possible learn how to get around traffic issues.
And most importantly if you ever find yourself on a route near a college campus, Boston has way to many.
Schedule your off time around move in and move out weeks.
Nothing ruins your day like finding yourself trapped on a side street between UHauls.
Curious: does Just a UPS GUY call you a loser? Rip you a new one for working 39 years? You didn't have a plan either or invest?

I hope you know those are rhetorical. I used to have trouble with my feet in pkg car until I got better shoes and learned to use the handrail. Not stepping off the step with arms full of pkgs. The lower profile cars helped too.

Last edited:

Shift Inhibit

18 years....well good chance I've worked at UPS as long as you've been alive. Say, so you just work here for the fun of it? I mean being a savvy investor and all. Independently wealthy and all...In your thirties right? Why are you still at UPS?
Just because you’ve been here for 40+ yrs (longer than I’ve been alive) doesn’t mean you’re smart/savvier than everyone. In fact , it’s quite the opposite. I won’t be here 1 day past 30 years.

DriverNerd

I used to have trouble with my feet in pkg car until I got better shoes and learned to use the handrail. Not stepping off the step with arms full of pkgs. The lower profile cars helped too.
Plantar Fasciitis is no joke, it's awful (not saying you disagree). Some people are more prone to it depending on their foot physiology. But working smart and having proper foot support are certainly important things to do as a driver.