New drivers sitting on cake routes.

Fnix

I'm a swing driver and my center recently hired on about 5-7 new full time drivers this year. I know about 20 routes and have only been trained on 3 of them. I never make a fuss when they throw me on the worst routes blind, I just go out and do them safely. The issue is all of the new hires are on cake resi routes and anytime us higher seniority swing drivers try to bump them management plays "oh they don't know those routes" BS with us. I even got with a steward and they seemed to agree with management.

Weak local??

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'm a swing driver and my center recently hired on about 5-7 new full time drivers this year. I know about 20 routes and have only been trained on 3 of them. I never make a fuss when they throw me on the worst routes blind, I just go out and do them safely. The issue is all of the new hires are on cake resi routes and anytime us higher seniority swing drivers try to bump them management plays "oh they don't know those routes" BS with us. I even got with a steward and they seemed to agree with management.

Weak local??
No. Your the "weak" one. Put your years in and get a bid route.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Weak local. Some try to play those games here too. Management is just worried about their numbers. Bump the lower seniority guys.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Weak local??

Are they bid routes that the new guys are on?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Happens here too...I'd say the last 15 guys hired have stayed on the same one or two routes and they never change...the day after I passed my 30 days I was going out blind every day...now they baby everyone..."route knowledge" wasn't a factor when I went out blind with 90 business stops and 50 pickups

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Happened to me over Christmas although I'm not sure if being a reg-temp had anything to do with it. I got a split route off of one of our circle of honor drivers (with 30 years experience) who has this cake country route. I had about 80-100 residential stops a day, no businesses, no p/u's. Heard senior friend/t cover drivers complaining about it.

I didn't ask questions, I'd just putt-putt out among the cows all day.

Work as directed...

ManInBrown

Happens here also. Used to drive me nuts before I got my bid route. Another downside to being a hero. They know you'll do anything and get it done. Not accusing you personally of doing that but management knows what they have in every single driver. And they use it to their advantage.

ManInBrown

The whole thing where they go Driver A doesn't know this route so he has to do this. But meanwhile Driver B doesn't know this route but we'll send him out blind. Because they know B will get it done

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Happens here also. Used to drive me nuts before I got my bid route. Another downside to being a hero. They know you'll do anything and get it done. Not accusing you personally of doing that but management knows what they have in every single driver. And they use it to their advantage.
I've seen a few new guys almost in tears when they get bumped to route blind because management had them on my vacation bid for the week.

I don't understand why, or how, 1-3 year drivers know less than a half dozen routes. I can't decide who are the biggest pansies anymore. It used to be the 25-30 year driver.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
File, or do like they do here, threaten to file and get put on a cake route yourself, screwing over higher seniority swing drivers. Who cares now, you got what you wanted and management continues to screw over the ones that don't file.

I fought this fight for 6 months and I had no dog in the fight. Had my own bid route, no desire to move but got tired of people getting screwed over. It finally got to the point I cared more than they did, as the ones crying were now on tit routes and abusing it since they were now the "low drivers".

Said piss on it and now it's back to dogs fighting over scraps.

35years

Gravy route
We had the same situation here... for decades.
Enough grievances forced weekly cover bid sheets awarded strictly by seniority.
The area knowledge excuse won't hold up, if enough stand up.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Weak local??

It's a problem if your center post a weekly vacation sheet and you sign up and have seniority. Otherwise, probably more in a RTW states where SOME locals are weak as hell, your :censored2: out of luck. Sometimes, if your a decent worker etc.. and have some years under you, they'll will work with you and let you run what you want. If you stand up for yourself and show your ass every once in a while you can get :censored2: fixed. A lot factors involved in trying to fix this.