New Employee.....And new forum member

SocalBrwn

I'm new on the forum and a brand spankin new employee at UPS, just met with my trainer yesterday and he told me I was going to be a sorter that I had two weeks to memorize the zip code sheet, is that normal, I'm doing my best to memorize it now.Any good advice?

I saw some other post and most ppl said that you learn as you go, does that mean that I'll be trained as a sorter before I have to take the test so that I can have some experience?

When I go back to I'm going to ask my trainer, but I just wanted fellow UPSers input.

Thanks for any and all feed back that I get.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Welcome to Brown Cafe and to UPS.

Sort test is usually about 300 zips, states and cities..

You are lucky if you are starting in the sort aisle - you must look smart.
Don't prove them wrong.

Welcome to Brown Cafe and to UPS.

Sort test is usually about 300 zips, states and cities..

You are lucky if you are starting in the sort aisle - you must look smart.
Don't prove them wrong.

How did you ever make it at UPS?.....................Oh wait I know the answer!.............................................you was in management!.....lol

SocalBrwn

Thanks every one for your input....any one have a good way of memorizing so many zip codes.......
My main difficulty is states like Texas that gets divided to three belts, depending on the zip.

8Keys

Start by learning the stuff that can be sorted just by state. Then learn things that can be split out based on the first 3 digits of the zip code. The last step is learning things where you need to memorize each 5 digit zip code (or the corresponding city name). If you can get the states and the 3 digit reads down fairly quickly, there is a good chance that this will cover a lot of the packages you have to sort.

anonymous4

Don't get too excited. You'll be tossed into a load when your training is over. It's really a lose-lose. Stay in the sort aisle and rapidly destroy your shoulders or load/unload and destroy everything at a slow-burn.

Whargoul

What the heck? You get training? When I started working at UPS I was a temp during peak and my sup handed me a crayon and said "these are your trucks, I'm gonna go smoke". Then he never came back the rest of the day.