New England Ice Storm!

over9five

Staff member
Anyone else affected? Looks like my town was nuked. Power lines down everywhere. Almost every road was blocked by fallen trees, not just here and there, but like EVERY tree!
I got up Friday morning, left at 5AM, and couldn't even get off my street. I haven't banged in in almost 2 years, and never during Peak. (OK, I didn't feel too bad, it would have been my 6th punch).
Drove back home, parked beside my sons car. An hour later a tree falls and hits his car. Missed my 6 week old Explorer by inches!
Now we're at my Moms. Generators sold out everywhere, but Sears has 80 coming in tomorrow, and one's mine!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your thread brought back memories of our Ice Storm in 1998. I lost power for 36 hours, others for as little as 45 minutes while others lost theirs for 3 weeks. Generators were brought up by the truckload from Albany. 2 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning because they ran the generator inside the house. We went 2 days with no work and when we went back we ran 2 to a car, one to watch the road and the other to look for downed trees/power lines. 10 years later and you can still signs of the storm--the birch trees took a hell of a beating and are still struggling to come back.

The sad part was that UPS kept calling the State Police to see when we could go on the road. They finally told our center manager that if he saw any of us on the road it would be a $10K fine to the company per driver.

The good part is that the storm brought neighbors together, whether by choice or out of necessity.

Packages first, then people.

Channahon

My heart goes out to everyone, who has been impacted by this storm. I've been through a few blizzards, power outages, but nothing like the weather in the Northeast.

Help is coming from Canada and South Carolina, per the national news tonight. You would think with 50 states, a few more would send crews to help out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My heart goes out to everyone, who has been impacted by this storm. I've been through a few blizzards, power outages, but nothing like the weather in the Northeast.

Help is coming from Canada and South Carolina, per the national news tonight. You would think with 50 states, a few more would send crews to help out.

There are crews from New York who were actually sent down the night before so that they would be in place to help if needed. I believe Vermont is also sending help.

Snowstorms are one thing. It snows, you plow and shovel, no big deal. Ice is totally different--it will take several days at least before things start getting back to normal.

chev

Nightcrawler
Good luck to you over. We were fortunate enough to only get rain from that storm. A hell of a lot of rain.

DS

Fenderbender
Freezing rain is the absolute worst weather condition .The '98 ice storm here was the ONLY time they ever paged us and told us to bring in in early.Quebec got the worst of it,when over 50 hydro towers collapsed under the weight of the ice.I hope things get better for you there over9.

BigBrownSanta

Where I'm at, we had an ice storm last year during peak. It lasted about a week. I went 3 days without electricity. I don't have any idea how bad it gets up there in the north, but around here it's a rarity. Getting around on the ice wasn't too bad, but we really got behind on deliveries because all the business were closed due to the power outages. The city was still picking up tree debris well into May of this year. I don't mind snow, but man do I hate ice.

I hope you get your power turned back on quickly. Good luck.

over9five

Staff member
Working tomorrow (Sunday), then going home with the generator.
Talk to you all when the cable's reconnected.

Thanks for the good wishes!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And my generator is just sitting in my garage at home.

You guys got it bad, I guess BigBabooba is kicking himself now about his comment on how the weather down south was worse than New England. And here I am in NYC complaining to myself about how cold it is while I wait for the bus, LOL. Hope they get you guys fixed up quickly.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WOW Over. I hadn't heard until reading your post. I hope and pray all will be well there. I can't imagine having to deal with that.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And my generator is just sitting in my garage at home.

You guys got it bad, I guess BigBabooba is kicking himself now about his comment on how the weather down south was worse than New England. And here I am in NYC complaining to myself about how cold it is while I wait for the bus, LOL. Hope they get you guys fixed up quickly.

Sorry, after further examination,
How are you getting along with all that snow down there? You can send it up north where it belongs if you want:peaceful:
twas rod that commented on the weather down south. Sorry, BigB, guess now, you and O9/5 can go stay at rods for awhile.

Big Babooba

Sorry, after further examination,

twas rod that commented on the weather down south. Sorry, BigB, guess now, you and O9/5 can go stay at rods for awhile.
I live in a valley and got rain - a lot of it. My delivery area is in the higher elevations. There was an actual ice line when you looked up the mountains. Above a certain elevation, everything was glazed over. My helper said that it looked beautiful. I told him that he was about to see beauty close up. There were so many low hanging tree branches that they blocked most of the roads. We made it through OK and the truck looked like a snow cone from all the ice that we knocked off the trees. We left everything at the mail boxes or at the bottom of the driveways. I stayed out of the driveways to stay out of trouble. I brought back one town because a state of emergency was declared. I only make a small loop through it and only had 14 packages. The other driver who delivers there was made to leave by the police. He brought back a lot more. Monday will be fun.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We are dealing with record cold temps and snow here in Oregon, too. Our power isnt out, but in this part of Oregon we do not normally get this much snow, and a lot of people are plain stupid when it comes to driving in it. The main highways get plowed but the back country roads and hilly areas that I deliver to are going to be frozen over. I will be chained up all day tomorrow and I'm probably going to be bringing a lot of stops back...and this is a BAAAD week to be bringing stops back. The snow isnt going to melt any time soon, either. I hope they let us work next Saturday, deliveries only with no pickups, in order to catch up on all the stops we will be missing all week. This is without a doubt the worst peak-season weather we have ever had in my 21 years with UPS. Wish me luck!

moreluck

golden ticket member
These storms hitting the West are from Hawaii's bad storms a few days ago.....my daughter had 7 1/2 inches in one day in Waianae. Farrington Hwy. at Makaha was under 2 ft. of water. It was a royal mess.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I just posted on your x=mas tree thread Sober. It looks like we will be getting your storm here. 6-12" of snow down to 3500' by the middle of the week. It could be a very long week here too. We don't normally get snow but it sounds as if we might have some this week.

We had about 4 inches of snow here in the valleys and and about 2+ feet in the higher elevations. The high temp tomorrow will be -1 with -20 to -45 degree wind chills tonight.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a fairly decent snow storm around here the last 24 hours. I don't know what the snow depths are but it has been snowning sideways all day long. I will take a foot of snow and 40 mph winds anyday over an ice storm. I went to my fishhouse today and by the time I left there were 3 foot drifts around it. Now for the next few days we are suppose to have 30 to 40 below wind chills. Ask me again how come I'm "Retired and Happy":peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's a fishhouse?

Shanty used for ice fishing, which is a sport I could never figure out. People drive their cars out on to a frozen lake, go inside their shanty, drill a hole in the ice, put their line in their and wait for the tip-up to let them know they have a hit on the line. Oh, yeah, there is usually a lot of beer involved.

Picture the movie "Grumpy Old Men".