New fedex express part time courier (bait and switch)

smmxm

I just got hired on a month ago and was supposed to get a set number of hours 5:30am - 11:30 am but I was informed by my manager as he chuckled "is that what they told you?" he then went on about you might have to come in at 1 or 5 or whenever. I don't understand what this means?

hypo hanna

I just got hired on a month ago and was supposed to get a set number of hours 5:30am - 11:30 am but I was informed by my manager as he chuckled "is that what they told you?" he then went on about you might have to come in at 1 or 5 or whenever. I don't understand what this means?
Lying to hourlies is "Standard operating procedure." Get used to it.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Ya see, FedEx doesn't consider it lying. They call it "operational needs", which is a cute little catch phrase that gets them out of virtually everything. They can promise you the Sun and the Moon, but then "operational needs" rears its ugly head and everything they told you immediately becomes null and void. And if you squawk about it, then you won't be considered a member of the coveted "team"... and you won't get an extra Costco hot dog when your station holds its next summer extravaganza.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Welcome to FedEx. If you are smart, you might want to check into UPS. Your future here is not promising. You will never reach top pay and they are whittling away at our benefits every day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What everyone else has said, with a big cherry on top. If your offer letter specifies a shift, hold them to it. You can do this by having another job, school, or childcare and/or elder care responsibilities. If you're PT, they cannot force you to work over 30 hours or more than 6 hours per day, and only if there is "operational need". FedEx has always abused part-timers. Your thanks for being flexible now and working extra hours will be minimums when they unfeck the current mess of Peak.

The best thing you can do is find another job. This is a dead-end with zero future. Trust us on that one.

El Morado Diablo

Some of our new PT's are refusing to work additional hours. They aren't happy with the way FedEx changes the rules to fit their needs. It's kind of fun seeing how this is messing up management's peak plans.

!Retired!

What everyone else has said, with a big cherry on top. If your offer letter specifies a shift, hold them to it. You can do this by having another job, school, or childcare and/or elder care responsibilities. If you're PT, they cannot force you to work over 30 hours or more than 6 hours per day, and only if there is "operational need". FedEx has always abused part-timers. Your thanks for being flexible now and working extra hours will be minimums when they unfeck the current mess of Peak.

The best thing you can do is find another job. This is a dead-end with zero future. Trust us on that one.
They used to get so pissed when I wouldn't stay later, when I was PT. But, there was nothing they could do about it and they knew it. As for the offer letter, it rarely specifies hours, only a certain position. It also has in it the fact the hours may change based on need.

smmxm

I talked to other fedex employees who said I was proably going to be an FO driver (whatever that means) but they also want me to unload the cans every morning. the managers are all pretty young in there 30's. the first impression I got is that they are more in love of the title manager than actually being one. the money and benefits are good, I really don't care about hours cuz I got a diff job which pays better with no health ins.

!Retired!

I talked to other fedex employees who said I was proably going to be an FO driver (whatever that means) but they also want me to unload the cans every morning. the managers are all pretty young in there 30's. the first impression I got is that they are more in love of the title manager than actually being one. the money and benefits are good, I really don't care about hours cuz I got a diff job which pays better with no health ins.
FO are packages due by 8:00AM. Managers don't make enough for the crap they have to put up with.

smmxm

So how does overtime work for part timers? also is there any tips that can help me or advice to know so I can be ahead of the game?

overflowed

I bet the ot laws are state to state like everything else. your best bet is to look up yours. Part timers complain that the ot for them is the same as a full time. I've heard them complain that they get no straight ot for working their days off also. This is just heresay I don't know for sure.

Maui

So how does overtime work for part timers? also is there any tips that can help me or advice to know so I can be ahead of the game?

These are some of the things to remember about being PT.

1. You are guaranteed 17.5 hours of pay, even if you work less. Caveat is you can't refuse hours within your normal shift.
2. OT is over 8/day 40/week 6th day is OT. Make sure to select Day Off on the PowerPad and mark your physical time card. Double time over 12/day or working 2nd Day Off in a week.
3. You can NOT be forced to work on your scheduled day off. You may be placed on the schedule without volunteering, especially during peak and other holidays. Let someone know you did not volunteer and you already made plans if you do not WANT to work.
4. Your schedule can not change more than 2 hours without notice. You can not be scheduled for FO and Pickups unless it is YOUR choice.
5. Typically, you can not be scheduled more than 30 hours/week.
6. Always review the electronic copy of the time card you sign to make sure it matches your records.

If you are asked to help out a route ask for the stops to be plotted on a map before you leave. This can be done by the courier that dropped stops or a manager. Some couriers give the new person all their worst stops and you will not immediately know who those people are in your station. If asked to help, ask how much can be done in the area you are working. Too often, some couriers will just keep dropping stops and you will end with more than you can handle, especially if you do not know the route.

smmxm

Thanks a lot guys. someone told me about being guaranteed 17 hours even if I don't work that long. but managers ask me to work late on a different 8 hour shift but I refuse. so by me refusing coming back that day I forfeit my 17 hours?