New feeder driver classifcations, "City Pairs" and "Lay over Drivers" in Tenative

Spicybrother

Looks like the company is moving to new feeder jobs for premium services? I wonder what this will really mean? It could be a way to reduce the amount of 2 and 3 day service packages in the air by making more premium work travel over the ground? Not sure I like the idea of having to drive 500 miles and spending the night in a motel and driving back the next morning. Anyone heard anything about company plans? I am not exactly sure what "City Pairs" means for distance over 250 miles?

Inthegame

Looks like the company is moving to new feeder jobs for premium services? I wonder what this will really mean? It could be a way to reduce the amount of 2 and 3 day service packages in the air by making more premium work travel over the ground? Not sure I like the idea of having to drive 500 miles and spending the night in a motel and driving back the next morning. Anyone heard anything about company plans? I am not exactly sure what "City Pairs" means for distance over 250 miles?
Would you prefer less Feeder jobs and more TOFC's.

kingOFchester

Let me ask this. Here you go from feeder back to package back to feeder for up to a year or more, does that bother you?
Yes, it does. Would not want to be ping ponged back and forth. That said, I will continue to sign every feeder bid until I win. It will suck, the hours will suck, the back and forth from package will suck, but will deal with it.

What sucks is in my building is that bids within feeders is building seniority. Another words, I could be in feeders for 20 years and any body who decides to bid into feeders who has more building seniority would be able to bid above me. Its not like package where a part timer with more building years cant decide to go into driving and bid above me. But I understand.

purplesky

Yes, it does. Would not want to be ping ponged back and forth. That said, I will continue to sign every feeder bid until I win. It will suck, the hours will suck, the back and forth from package will suck, but will deal with it.

What sucks is in my building is that bids within feeders is building seniority. Another words, I could be in feeders for 20 years and any body who decides to bid into feeders who has more building seniority would be able to bid above me. Its not like package where a part timer with more building years cant decide to go into driving and bid above me. But I understand.

Why should a package driver with more seniority not bump you if he goes into feeders? Its the same company.:wink2:

In my bldg alot of package guys went into feeders with like 3 years of seniority and they bitch when a 25 year guy bumps them. THEY HAVE SENIORITY RAGE.

kingOFchester

If a part timer with more building seniority decides to go full time, he can't bump a full timer. He goes to the bottom of the list. Does not work this way when moving from package to feeder....."same company"

bluehdmc

I don't think there is anything new about this. I was talking to a porter who used to be a feeder driver, he would drive from North Jersey to Toledo, (I think), stay in a hotel at UPS's expense and then return. 4 ten hour days. That's a layover driver.

They since changed them to a NNJ driver going out to a meet point, exchanging trailers and returning the same day. Approximately the same mileage and hours, only now they are 5 day week jobs. If there are no loads going out, or driver doesn't have enough hours available he works local the 5th day. These are "city pairs". I think if there were more of these type runs it might cut down on some sleeper teams.

purplesky

If a part timer with more building seniority decides to go full time, he can't bump a full timer. He goes to the bottom of the list. Does not work this way when moving from package to feeder....."same company"

I think its fair this way. Full time is full time. I am amazed at some of the young package guys who couldnt handle package and went to feeders with no seniority and now bitch and moan about guys coming into feeders with twice their seniority.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Nothing new here, Layover & City Pairs have been the best runs in Feeder hands down. Our best layovers start Monday 05:30, drive to El Paso, fuel, drive to Sierra Blanca (80mi), switch trailers, drive back to E.P., stay in a nice Holiday Inn, drive back in 10 hours or hang out a bit as there is really no rush. If you do, get back to Phoenix around 11 a.m. Tuesday, then do the same run Wednesday morning and you're done for the week. You'll gross about $2500 easy plus your meals are paid for. Sign me up!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think its fair this way. Full time is full time. I am amazed at some of the young package guys who couldn't handle package and went to feeders with no seniority and now bitch and moan about guys coming into feeders with twice their seniority.

Why would that surprise you?
That is the nature of people.

purplesky

Why would that surprise you?
That is the nature of people.

I just want to build a time machine for these low seniority bitches so they can go back in time and increase their seniority. That will shut them up and crush their low seniority rage.

A time machine will be easier to build than changing the nature of people.

brett636

I just want to build a time machine for these low seniority bitches so they can go back in time and increase their seniority. That will shut them up and crush their low seniority rage.

A time machine will be easier to build than changing the nature of people.

Or your building could just honor seniority the right way by having a 2nd seniority list for feeder drivers that package car drivers can't just bump into. ;)