New Freightliner 800s

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was lucky enough to drive 2 of the new 800s that just came in on routes this last week. They both only had 1000 miles on them and 50 engine hours so they are still all shiny.

They seemed pretty big for 800s, looking and feeling like 1000s with a crappy turn radius. The shift inhibitor is ridiculous. You have to have your foot hard on the brake when going into reverse or drive or the dummy light comes on and you have to start over and shift again even if you're at a full stop. Other than that and the bulkhead doors not being adjusted or lubricated....they were both really nice to drive.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Agreed...They're large, turn like ****e, but are shiny and new. I drive Saturdays and I stole one for 2 weeks. The rear door not being a barn door was AWESOME! But we got an evil nasty email saying that they don't want us out driving large vehicles on Saturdays. Is an 800 really all that large? Plus I do pickups and the barn doors on the 700's on down suck for the rear door pickups. Anyway...anything shiny and new is good at UPS...except when the 47's came out...those were roundly hated. I liked em...but that's because I'm an air driver and like things to go over 67 MPH.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Agreed...They're large, turn like ****e, but are shiny and new. I drive Saturdays and I stole one for 2 weeks. The rear door not being a barn door was AWESOME! But we got an evil nasty email saying that they don't want us out driving large vehicles on Saturdays. Is an 800 really all that large? Plus I do pickups and the barn doors on the 700's on down suck for the rear door pickups. Anyway...anything shiny and new is good at UPS...except when the 47's came out...those were roundly hated. I liked em...but that's because I'm an air driver and like things to go over 67 MPH.

They seem a lot bigger than the old 1980s 800s and way bigger than the current 700s. I kept going to turn around in places that 700s have plenty of room and kept realizing it was way longer than a 700, not just a foot or two. I would definitely take a 500 or 700 if you're driving air. You can zip around a lot easier in the smaller rigs.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I believe they are known as an 800x because they are oversized for a P8. Yes, the doors are hung badly. The foot on the brake thing is called a "range inhibit" in order to protect the transmission from going to reverse to drive and viceversa while still in motion or with elevated throttle (more than idle). What I like best about them is that they aren't diesel. You get a range inhibit when you fail to meet the tranny's shift requirements.

sortaisle

Most of my areas don't require tight turn arounds. Just in the parking lot when I have to park the trucks is when the turning radius rears it's ugly head...and I tell you what...for 0-30 MPH, those Freightliners are tough to beat. I bet you could shave half an hour to an hour on a half city half country route with those 6.0 motors compared to the diesels.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I believe they are known as an 800x because they are oversized for a P8. Yes, the doors are hung badly. The foot on the brake thing is called a "range inhibit" in order to protect the transmission from going to reverse to drive and viceversa while still in motion or with elevated throttle (more than idle). What I like best about them is that they aren't diesel.

The problem with the "range inhibit" shows up in the winter when you sometimes have to rock out of a situation. That was the only time I hated my Freightliner/Allison.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I believe they are known as an 800x because they are oversized for a P8. Yes, the doors are hung badly. The foot on the brake thing is called a "range inhibit" in order to protect the transmission from going to reverse to drive and viceversa while still in motion or with elevated throttle (more than idle). What I like best about them is that they aren't diesel.
Amen...however it said I was only getting 6.3 mpg the other day and a big chunk of my driving was highway that day due to a split level route. 168 stops 117 miles used 3/4 of a tank.

sortaisle

I can bring some later after twi sort...btw...it sucks that I feel I have to abbreviate to twi because of the vomit fest that was Twilight. Seriously...vampires are suppose to sizzle, crackle, and awesomely explode instead of bedazzle and shimmer.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

The problem with the "range inhibit" shows up in the winter when you sometimes have to rock out of a situation. That was the only time I hated my Freightliner/Allison.
On the freightliner 700s the inhibitor only kicked in when you tried to shift in motion, but now it happens with the brake pedal too even if at a full stop. I'll take one of the workhorse 700s anyday over these.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Well, yeah. That's exactly what Allison is trying to prevent. Nothing could be worse for an automatic. Perhaps a winch would be a good accessory.