New guy here...

toxickiwi

So ive lurked these forums for a few days, trying to get answers to some questions pertaining to UPS.

I applied a few days ago and had a group tour the following Monday. I got scheduled for a 1 on 1 interview today and left not really knowing what was going to happen next. Granted, he told me he was going to move me forward (aka he's going to give me the package handling job) but what exactly is the next step? When should i be expecting a call? When would be my first day of training?

I'm rather lost. Thanks for your help, in advance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At this point you should put your life on hold as you sit by the phone. Your phone is now your best friend. Take it with you when you go to the bathroom, get the mail, etc. UPS will call when they are good and ready to call. The key is that you need to be ready when they are finally ready.

toxickiwi

So how long should i expect to wait? 2 days? 20 days? a year? (oh god i hope not).

I guess my main concern is time. I'm a patient guy, but i don't want to be idling while still working my craptastic retail job if I don't have to.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Two things.

1) Time frame depends solely on job openings and available trainers. You most likely will get a call within a few days, but it could be 6 weeks.

2) If you think your going from a crap job to a better one. Wake up and smell the roses. The grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence.(even if it looks like it!)

toxickiwi

Im not hopping aboard this job just because i hate the one i'm holding now. No, no. Granted, that is PART of the reason. I want this UPS job really badly. Like, really badly. I just want to say goodbye to the one I have now, since it's just sucking the life out of me and really not worth it anymore, seeing as how they only have me on 1 to 2 days a week max. :/

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Im not hopping aboard this job just because i hate the one i'm holding now. No, no. Granted, that is PART of the reason. I want this UPS job really badly. Like, really badly. I just want to say goodbye to the one I have now, since it's just sucking the life out of me and really not worth it anymore, seeing as how they only have me on 1 to 2 days a week max. :/

Just be aware, UPS will push you to the mental and physical limits for $8hr 3.5hrs a day. Wait lists for full time jobs are usually 2-7 years depending on location. Sometimes longer. Oh and no benefits for the first year!!!

toxickiwi

Trust me when I say this - .... I'm prepared to take on that responsibility. :) I'm just really anxious for that phone call! I want it nowww!!