New Guy Here!

Chimpy

Got a call from my local hub's HR rep the other day and received my job offer for a pm package handler position. Orientation tomorrow, and start work on Monday.

Totally 110% stoked, tried to get into UPS for the last 12 months.

So knowing that my position is seasonal and considering I want to drive drive drive and stay with UPS (some may say I'm nuts) and bust my hump in anyway possible for it, what would you folks recommend being the best way to convert my position into permanent after peak? I'm not necessarily begging for a driver position after peak, but I want to make my position permanent more than anything.

I'm young, invincible, and love manual labor.

Pleased to meet you all. :happy-very:

Chimpy

Be nice, he's really bright-eyed and bushy tailed !!

Yeah, I've spent my entire life in restaurants and restaurant management, I'm ready for a change where I'm not wondering if I was left 10 or 20 percent. I'll be 26 next spring and just want a better way to provide for my wife and newborn (of course, I'd still keep the restaurants, but I'm amazed at the healthcare benefits offered by the union).

This FYI, will be my first union job, have no experience with that kind of thing either, lived in the south where unions didn't have too much clout.

DS

Fenderbender
Welcome to our little world Chimp.Other than hard work,showing up every day,and showing improvement over time,you will find that there's not a lot else you can do to improve you FT chances.
As you will find,every hub and every center in every state seems to have their own distinct ways of running the show.At any rate,good luck,and again welcome aboard.

Got a call from my local hub's HR rep the other day and received my job offer for a pm package handler position. Orientation tomorrow, and start work on Monday.

Totally 110% stoked, tried to get into UPS for the last 12 months.

So knowing that my position is seasonal and considering I want to drive drive drive and stay with UPS (some may say I'm nuts) and bust my hump in anyway possible for it, what would you folks recommend being the best way to convert my position into permanent after peak? I'm not necessarily begging for a driver position after peak, but I want to make my position permanent more than anything.

I'm young, invincible, and love manual labor.

Pleased to meet you all. :happy-very:
If your serious come join the friday night drunk chat and you'll get all the best advice. Just wait for The Kid to open it up.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Welcome to the BrownCafe Chimpy. A positive attitude and showing up everyday will make your odds much better. Good luck!

rocket man

I think that was a well thought out post FIRST thing leave your cell phone in your car or at home you text or answer mom your day will be done so fast faster then it took to put this up on this site when you are let go after peak keep all phone numbers to( hr ). if you dont have the number make sure you get it , But not when you are on the clock (very important. you are a number,,, no one is gonna wanna know or here about your future with this company its not being mean its just the way it is , RIght now you are just a human machine nothing more nothing less, just do your job, THey may ask you to stay on for a couple of days after christmas , because the holiday is on a sunday this year. Dont think its because they like you its cause the other temps died out . you may be one of them? NOW sunday and monday befor you go in drink a gallon of water during the day even if you are in a state thats cold you will be one step ahead of the other partime machines you will thank me for that. were a good pair of boots ankles calfs are gonna kill you i think you will make it start calling the( hr) number at end of febuary, bug them it might work let us know how you feel after the first week its gonna be mild to wild good luck to you

nystripe96

Just do everything you can to impress management & supervisors. They will never ever tell you that you're doing a good job. If they tell you that you suck, do not take it personally, it probably means they like you lol. Ask questions, even ones you may know the answers to. Get to work early, and help setup. If they want to send you home early at the end of the sort, ask them if you can stay longer & help wrap up. Work as fast as possible. Work through break if possible. If the manager walks your belt, think of something relevant to ask him. Get noticed for the right reasons. Get the workers on your PD to like you and think highly of you. Trust me, word will get around. Simply put, work hard & never slack one little bit. Being a seasonal is tough, but you will be kept after peak if you go all out. Good luck :)

nystripe96

I do suggest you temper your enthusiasm a bit. You have no idea what your in for. Get ready for belts with package diarrhea, than just when you think the night is almost over, the belt gets backed up with constipation. Take it all in stride, and workkkkk.

upsgrunt

I do suggest you temper your enthusiasm a bit. You have no idea what your in for. Get ready for belts with package diarrhea, than just when you think the night is almost over, the belt gets backed up with constipation. Take it all in stride, and workkkkk.

He sounds like you, 2 months ago. Don't tell someone to work through break and to work as fast a possible. Work as safe as possible and ALWAYS take your break.

nystripe96

Every hub is different, safety first def....but u can't be lethargic either. He's gotta put up numbers. He sounds nothing like me two months ago. All my threads were about pph and misloads. Never ever boasted about being a new hire.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every hub is different, safety first def....but u can't be lethargic either. He's gotta put up numbers. He sounds nothing like me two months ago. All my threads were about pph and misloads. Never ever boasted about being a new hire.

Two months ago you were nervous to the point of being funny. Good to see that you have settled down.

nystripe96

Ain't that the truth haha. It's pretty obvious this job isn't for everyone. I've already seen a number of people quit, including a seasonal that lasted 2 days. Two months in and I love the grind and hard work. Sleeping has never been easier, that's probably the best perk of all