new guy saying "hi"

D

dannyboy

"driving your area in your car on the weekend? "

I disagree. There comes a time when you have too much going on. Maybe once do it. But the weekends are there for you to unwind and let your mind rest allong with your body. I have found that drivers get so wound up on being perfect the first week that they end up developing many bad habits.

Like trying to make themselves look good during the day, they will leave packages at a place, punch off and deliver them after work. I guess that would make you look good, but it will get you fired very quickly. Or leaving packages that are not a safe DR? That will shave time too, but at what cost?

You see where I am coming from, your 30 day period is a snapshot of what you can learn and do within that period. Give it 100% when you are on the road, and do everything by the book. Then punch off, go home and unwind. Never allow yourself to get manipulated into doing something that is not 100% right.

Bad habits that you develop in the first 30 will stay with you the rest of your career. So will the good habits. Your choice.

Kinda like the driver that feels like they have to go through the car each and every morning. They have gotten used to doing it and feel like they must do it now or else.

d

C

crappie

I think driving around your route is a great idea .That is what i did drive around the route during the weekend.
In this area your 30 day is very hard and they jack with you big time .I would guess 30%do not make it .

D

dannyboy

Vette, I do stand corrected. IT is oneo friend the most important aspects of delivery. And those that have not made it here in our center have failed because of just this item, usually small less than $100 dings and dents. The house I bought ended one of the last outside hires, he backed into the basket ball pole (just a phone pole with the goal attatched). Didnt do any damage to the pole or the car, but the guy was a prick and made him call it in. Driver was a nice guy with 5 kids and his mom lived with them as she was disabled. I even went down and offered to buy the guy a new pole and goal, but he didnt want to hear any of the offers.

Fast forward 5 years and the Sob got his. HE ended up loseing the house and I bought the house for 70 grand. That wsa 25 years ago and the pole and goal are still there and still in fine shape.

As for UPS being that hard on new drivers, I dont guess they ought to make it all that easy, as then any one could be a UPS driver. But to grind them into the ground as they try and learn is trying to play military.

I have long thought that this mindset came from the 4F drivers that could not make it into the military during the war, so they structured UPS to be a little Army or sorts and that mindset has never left. Kinda funny, if you look at some of the photos from the 50's, they are all standing at attention, ready to salute, and they called it gathering up for the PCM.

Hehehe, how things have changed.

d

P

pd109

All the ideas suggested have been good ones,and I can`t find much too add except,don`t let your emotions affect your driving.I went 7 years safe driving and in 3 months I had 4 small accidents.
The bastards fired me,then called me back 2 weeks later.Looking back,I realized that they wer`re all avoidable,and as I was having trouble at home,and felt that I was being over dispatched,I was angry on the job.Try not to fall out of the habit of using the methods they teach you,for the most part,they work well.

542thruNthru

Hey guys (and gals) I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the board, and new to UPS I just started three weeks ago as a package car driver (service provider) I came in off the street and would appreiciate any advice anyone has (except "run in the oppisite direction")
Welcome to Brown Cafe!!
giphy-121.gif

Brownwind

Hey guys (and gals) I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the board, and new to UPS I just started three weeks ago as a package car driver (service provider) I came in off the street and would appreiciate any advice anyone has (except "run in the oppisite direction")
It’s many years since this post. Are you still working?