new guy, this doesn't happen often right?

boyo1991

So, today was supposed to be my first shift, I got there and was told I wasn't needed today and to come back tomorrow. I have a feeling it was more of a "we got to get some things done" sort of deal but I won't usually get called off right? Cuz everything else about the job fits me perfectly.

Btw I'm a handler, preload.

Thx guys

nineyearsUGH

It's not a reflection of you; it's your low seniority. It might happen for a while. In the union everything is based on seniority, and you have the least. In our center, they often didn't use new employees on Mondays. Be patient. There's a lot of turnover, and pretty soon you won't be on the bottom.
For management, everything is about numbers. They have production numbers they need to hit so that the higher-ups don't scream at them. If you worked today with the volume of packages, they might have been overstaffed.
It might not be a bad idea to meet the union steward for your shift-ask a coworker, not your sup. They might not be offering days of to the more senior people first.
Good luck

Sent using BrownCafe App

browntroll

they probrably didnt need you for the day either overstaffed or just not enough work. samething happened to me, well i was asked if i wanted
to go home early as soon as i got there. worst case scenario your sup does not like you and wants to make you quit by giving the least amount
of hours.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So, today was supposed to be my first shift, I got there and was told I wasn't needed today and to come back tomorrow. I have a feeling it was more of a "we got to get some things done" sort of deal but I won't usually get called off right? Cuz everything else about the job fits me perfectly.

Thx guys
To answer your question...does it happen often....more often than not..yes. Depends how busy your building is...and staffing...some days they get more sick calls than others. Yes, it will probably happen again...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Thx guys

This is a big problem with new hires on the preload. Once you attain seniority, you'll be guaranteed 3.5 hours of work if you show up. Just stick it out until then.

J

jibbs

This is a big problem with new hires on the preload. Once you attain seniority, you'll be guaranteed 3.5 hours of work if you show up. Just stick it out until then.

Problem with that is, it'll take forever to attain that seniority if they keep sending him home (way longer than it should, least).

It happens often, nearly every day at my center. It'll be less common for you once another set of new hires come in just to be told "Sorry, we're good today. Come back tomorrow, though!" You could always try to be a little more proactive about staying-- show up a few minutes early and see if anyone you work with might want to go home just so you can have a little bit of ammo to throw at management when they tell you to leave. "Okay, but Dave said he wanted to go and I kind of want to work today, think we could see if he still wants to get out of here before you send me home?"

It's best to be a good little Yes-man while you're working towards seniority, but it's also good to show that you want to be there and work. You'd think just showing up at 3am'd be the sign, but sometimes we gotta be a little more vocal, man.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When I started 21 years ago, they put me off for the 1st week. I kept pushing telling them I wanted to work and they finally gave me a chance and I never looked back.

TheKingOfQueens

Thx guys

Just keep showing up. Summers here so many people won't be showing up as much. They'll work you to the bone eventually. Getting sent home will be a thing of the past !!! Been loading for 10 months in July . Just hack it out my soon to be Ups Brotha!!!! Oh and by the way , I used to get sent home a lot and I had to wait to make book because of the union freeze ( oct 15 to Jan 1st) so it took me 3 times as long. If I made it then you'll make it too. Just work hard and try and survive!!!

Sent using BrownCafe App