New here, new hire, newly qualified

542thruNthru

thank you. i'm still trying to figure out if i get breaks or not. as stated previously i'm just a 22.4 and my on road sup. told me i only get 60 mins for lunch. i have met both of my shop stewards and turned in my signed app last friday.
honestly can't remember. it's all new to me. charlotte NC if that helps

I believe you're Local 71. Atlantic area supplemental.

Screenshot_20200824-170121_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Early AM packages. Usually commit times before 8:30AM. Your center likely has Air Drivers that run these so you might not ever have to but in the event that you do, the stop wont be in your board. Kind of like a misload (if youve had to deliver one of those yet?). You scan the package and the board doesnt recognize it because its not in there so you have to enter all the info manually. Address number >> Street Name >> St/Dr/Ter/Cir etc >> City >> zipcode and then big arrow down. Same with an EAM. I like to put those into PreRec because they are usually big money packages, can be in the 100s of dollars or thousands of dollars depending on what it is and how much it weighs etc. You definitely dont want to friend that up because youll lose alot of money for UPS. And sometimes, depending on what time the plane lands, you may only have seconds by the time you get to the stop to complete it on time, so if its in PreRec, you can pull into the parking lot, stop the truck, open the stop, and complete it if you see the person youre going to be delivering to at a business, or FD it to the house its going to so it isnt late. Ive saved many a EAM that way with less than 30 seconds to spare.

thanks that does help. our pcm is 8:50 so i havent had any of those yet. my route did have around 20 pickups daily though and at least 2 of them were giving me hi value pkgs over 5k every day. also had misloads almost daily. i remember my last day of qualifying when i was trying to make sure everything went smoothly, i had about 140 deliveries and 20 pickups (30 min commute each way from first/last stop) and during my "lunch break" i texted in a misload that was 15 minutes r/t from the closest place on my route. they texted me back 2 hours later while i was in the middle of pickups and said deliver it lol. i delivered it and missed a pickup window (from a place i knew never had anything for me anyway) but if i would have finished pickups first it would have turned into a 30 min trip for one residential amazon clothing pkg wtf

JJinVA

thanks that does help. our pcm is 8:50 so i havent had any of those yet. my route did have around 20 pickups daily though and at least 2 of them were giving me hi value pkgs over 5k every day. also had misloads almost daily. i remember my last day of qualifying when i was trying to make sure everything went smoothly, i had about 140 deliveries and 20 pickups (30 min commute each way from first/last stop) and during my "lunch break" i texted in a misload that was 15 minutes r/t from the closest place on my route. they texted me back 2 hours later while i was in the middle of pickups and said deliver it lol. i delivered it and missed a pickup window (from a place i knew never had anything for me anyway) but if i would have finished pickups first it would have turned into a 30 min trip for one residential amazon clothing pkg wtf

I hate how slow they are to respond. They act like their hands are tied and theyre SOOOOOOOO busy. Everytime I get back to the center theyre playing CandyCrush or something equally lame on their phones lol... I have to call our center 40 times a day before I finally get someone. Ridiculous. But not sure about you but our center is pretty fair about that kind of stuff. None of this "why did you only make 11 stops an hour?", theyll say, "Yeah that misload really messed your SPORH up"

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
I believe you're Local 71. Atlantic area supplemental.

View attachment 307151

thanks, so the way i'm reading that i should get one 10 min paid break in addition to 60 min unpaid lunch?
i will definitely ask one of the shop stewards in the morning. it would have been easier in the last 30 days since one of them was only like 3 package cars away from me and i have no idea where i'll be tomorrow.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
I hate how slow they are to respond. They act like their hands are tied and theyre SOOOOOOOO busy. Everytime I get back to the center theyre playing CandyCrush or something equally lame on their phones lol... I have to call our center 40 times a day before I finally get someone. Ridiculous. But not sure about you but our center is pretty fair about that kind of stuff. None of this "why did you only make 11 stops an hour?", theyll say, "Yeah that misload really messed your SPORH up"

well they know i'm only making 11-18 stops an hour because my training route was along a big lake with lots of peninsulas and the houses were all 500-1k ft off the main road and i had to decide whether to drive in or not. made me happy to get into a regular subdivision with houses right next to each other and i could hit 3-4 houses at a time instead of carrying a trampoline in 5 boxes down a 1k ft gravel drive

JJinVA

well they know i'm only making 11-18 stops an hour because my training route was along a big lake with lots of peninsulas and the houses were all 500-1k ft off the main road and i had to decide whether to drive in or not. made me happy to get into a regular subdivision with houses right next to each other and i could hit 3-4 houses at a time instead of carrying a trampoline in 5 boxes down a 1k ft gravel drive

From day 1 I was backing down those longggggggg driveways (if I could). When they asked me why I had 56 residential backing incidents with 6 back first exceptions I just said, "I have a backfirst-heavy route", which is true btw, but Ill be damned if Im walking 244 of those... Im already walking 18 miles a week

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
From day 1 I was backing down those longggggggg driveways (if I could). When they asked me why I had 56 residential backing incidents with 6 back first exceptions I just said, "I have a backfirst-heavy route", which is true btw, but Ill be damned if Im walking 244 of those... Im already walking 18 miles a week

my training route had me in a bunch of brand spanking new neighborhoods, streets not on the map yet, construction traffic, trash pickups etc. all these new houses were ordering beds, refrigerators, freezers, trampolines etc and there was no way in hell i was going to turn around first just to have to carry a 100+lb box across the street so that i'm pointed in the direction my diad gps wanted me to go even though in a new neighborhood it had no idea where it was going. i put the passenger side of my truck next to their driveway and let the chips fall where they may. they never questioned me about it and i never made the telematics list for our center.

JJinVA

my training route had me in a bunch of brand spanking new neighborhoods, streets not on the map yet, construction traffic, trash pickups etc. all these new houses were ordering beds, refrigerators, freezers, trampolines etc and there was no way in hell i was going to turn around first just to have to carry a 100+lb box across the street so that i'm pointed in the direction my diad gps wanted me to go even though in a new neighborhood it had no idea where it was going. i put the passenger side of my truck next to their driveway and let the chips fall where they may. they never questioned me about it and i never made the telematics list for our center.

Youre a better man than me. I would have set the fridge on the bumper step, hit the driveway in reverse at 35mph and slammed on the brakes. Deliver>> garage>> stop complete.

lel jk

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Youre a better man than me. I would have set the fridge on the bumper step, hit the driveway in reverse at 35mph and slammed on the brakes. Deliver>> garage>> stop complete.

lel jk

haha i had one house in particular that made me consider that more than once. absolutely brand new street. HIN number always showed up in my DIAD for a dentist office 1 mile away on the opposite side of the highway. brand new house. every day i had 2 platform beds or heavy shelving units, gym equipment etc. every time i would show up there i'd find two cars in the driveway blocking the garage and it was an unfinished street full of construction vehicles so i had to back into their small driveway, opposite a dumpster, that already had two cars in it. i just pulled boxes out the back door and left them in the driveway behind the cars. garage...stop complete.

JJinVA

haha i had one house in particular that made me consider that more than once. absolutely brand new street. HIN number always showed up in my DIAD for a dentist office 1 mile away on the opposite side of the highway. brand new house. every day i had 2 platform beds or heavy shelving units, gym equipment etc. every time i would show up there i'd find two cars in the driveway blocking the garage and it was an unfinished street full of construction vehicles so i had to back into their small driveway, opposite a dumpster, that already had two cars in it. i just pulled boxes out the back door and left them in the driveway behind the cars. garage...stop complete.

Nice work son *tears up* Proud of you boi

542thruNthru

noted and understood.

if any of you would please explain 9.5's and 9.5 grievances or point me to a link somewhere i'd appreciate it
You're 22.4 you can't be on the 9.5 list. Its in Article 37 of the National master agreement.

Download the National Master Agreement (NMA)
And the Atlantic.
Those are your contracts.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
You're 22.4 you can't be on the 9.5 list. Its in Article 37 of the National master agreement.

Download the National Master Agreement (NMA)
And the Atlantic.
Those are your contracts.

downloaded both and reading the atlantic now, thanks

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
first day on a completely new route today. 200 stops, 335 packages. to make it even better, the cradle didn't work for even a single minute, starting from the warehouse. welcome to ups!

Rack em

Made the Podium
first day on a completely new route today. 200 stops, 335 packages. to make it even better, the cradle didn't work for even a single minute, starting from the warehouse. welcome to ups!
Sounds like a typical day. Also, don't rely on the cradle/map, we survived without it for a long time, the job can easily be done without it.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Definitely don't take my advice first and foremost.

Second, pre-record (PreRec softkey) is a way to record a stop and put it on pause basically. The only time i tend to use it is when I'm doing apartments or retirement homes and have multiple packages for different addresses. Here's an example.

Youre at a ghetto apt where things normally get stolen. Your center tells you that you're not allowed to DR there. So what you have to do is get signatures from all the tenants and if they arent in, you would take it to the main office or try to.

By putting all of the apt stops into pre-record, you can go to the address, knock on the door, if they answer, hit the pre-record button to bring up all stops in PreRec, find their stop, enter it and complete it. If they arent there you just go to the next address. Once you're done making your rounds, you go to the main office with all the leftover deliveries you werent able to make. They are all in PreRec so all you have to do is open PreRec and check LeftAt for all of them and then fill out where you left them at "Main Office", stop complete and youre done.

Its a courtesy to leave a note on the door for anyone who isnt home saying "Will try to leave at main office" since some offices arent accepting pkgs due to the corona virus hoax.

The only other time i use PreRec is when i run EAMs and the info has to be entered manually since I haven't got EDD yet and the stop isn't in my board. Scan package>> enter info >> big arrow down (important to hit big arrow down before hitting prerec otherwise it won't save the pkg info)
Personally, I would attempt the office first