New Hire 22.4 Farmingville Question

Diablos19

Hello,

I have been reading up on the 22.4 " Combo driver" position that I applied for (posting originally said FT driver not combo).

I start training very soon and I was wondering if anyone in this group can give me some insight.

Does UPS abuse the 40 day probationary period just to get through the holidays? I know I applied for Full time and not seasonal but the probationary period seems like they can get away with using this tactic. I get that there are so many people out of work and they can run training and new hires every week like an assembly line .

Does anyone know if they have kept 22.4 position recently at the Farmingville location?

I also keep hearing that they stack on additional pickups/drop offs and complain when you take too long on your route. Is there any Job protection in these type of scenarios while on probation?
What can I expect going into the training and the first month of work?

Thank you all on advance.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Hello,

I have been reading up on the 22.4 " Combo driver" position that I applied for (posting originally said FT driver not combo).

I start training very soon and I was wondering if anyone in this group can give me some insight.

Does UPS abuse the 40 day probationary period just to get through the holidays? I know I applied for Full time and not seasonal but the probationary period seems like they can get away with using this tactic. I get that there are so many people out of work and they can run training and new hires every week like an assembly line .

Does anyone know if they have kept 22.4 position recently at the Farmingville location?

I also keep hearing that they stack on additional pickups/drop offs and complain when you take too long on your route. Is there any Job protection in these type of scenarios while on probation?
What can I expect going into the training and the first month of work?

Thank you all on advance.
In about 6 week you will be a seasonal employee no matter what. If you make out of the seasonal period, they can opt to continue with your qualification. Otherwise, you will be gone. They add stops and pickups while you are qualifying to make sure you can do the real job and not some P* half day route. You have no job protection because you are not a full fledged employee.

Good luck being a seasonal.

PT Car Washer

In about 6 week you will be a seasonal employee no matter what. If you make out of the seasonal period, they can opt to continue with your qualification. Otherwise, you will be gone. They add stops and pickups while you are qualifying to make sure you can do the real job and not some P* half day route. You have no job protection because you are not a full fledged employee.

Good luck being a seasonal.
We have had several drivers qualify during Peak. Just depends on if you are hired as FT or Seasonal. Yes you start with a partial day (6 hours) and over 30 days work you up to a standard 9.5 hour day.

Diablos19

It says full time and when I was on the initial call they did say it was full time.

There are a ton of horror stories about ups working you 12hrs a day. During peak I understand this bit what is it like during the off season.

PT Car Washer

It says full time and when I was on the initial call they did say it was full time.

There are a ton of horror stories about ups working you 12hrs a day. During peak I understand this bit what is it like during the off season.
Those were not horror stories, especially for new hire 22.4 drivers. UPS is going to maximize that $20/hr labor.

Diablos19

I got the 5s down , I know the 10s just not I. Order or word for word. A little more studying and I will be good.

Do they expect you to know all of it by day 1 of training or will there be a test of some sorts at the end of training?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I got the 5s down , I know the 10s just not I. Order or word for word. A little more studying and I will be good.

Do they expect you to know all of it by day 1 of training or will there be a test of some sorts at the end of training?

I don’t know
When I started I drove a 1966 p-400 around the building 1 time.got out and supe said you start at 0800 tomorrow

Undertow

Where I am, the 5's have to be recited pretty much verbatim and the 10's can be sort of improvised. There's guys that still have to be coached thru the 10's here despite having 20 years or more on the job.

Does it get easier as the years go by. Some things do, but nothing about the job really stays static for too long anymore so there may never really be a point where You can walk in and just be in a sort of "automatic pilot" mode. There will be times where there's stretches where You have to not only apply yourself, but give it everything you got for the entire week or longer if the weather is bad and there's late air very day or the leave building time is an hour and a half after normal start time. If your wife has a problem with you getting home long after 530pm, then prepare to get an earful from her.

Diablos19

@Undertow thanks for that explanation, I forgot to even consider if there is a delay at the airport and how it effects everyone . Ps: I already get an earful for not working so either way both ears are always full .

@Yolo lol thank you for the clarity

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There's guys that still have to be coached thru the 10's here despite having 20 years or more on the job.

If you been at UPS for 20 years or more why would it matter if you know them or not
You realize being able to regurgitate some drivel is not a condition of employment after you’ve gained seniority

Diablos19

@burrheadd so what your saying it's only a requirement until you get book? I asked a local ups driver about them and he mentioned that a sup will drive with you and audit you on the 5-10s. So if let's say I get book and get audited and don't know the 5-10 can I grieve the write up if I get one. Just curious to know.