New hire - air ramp

I've just been hired at an airport hub as a part-timer. I was told I'd be half time in the hub as a package handler, which is straightforward and well explained both at my interview and any source I look at. I have no idea what I'd actually be doing the other half of the time.

Am I loading containers to be placed on aircraft? Loading containers onto aircraft? Indoor, or outdoor work?

Is there any sort of gear that would be particularly good to have on hand? I expect gloves to be critical during the winter, will any set do or will they need to have good grip and be able to take a beating?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've just been hired at an airport hub as a part-timer. I was told I'd be half time in the hub as a package handler, which is straightforward and well explained both at my interview and any source I look at. I have no idea what I'd actually be doing the other half of the time.

Am I loading containers to be placed on aircraft? Loading containers onto aircraft? Indoor, or outdoor work?

Is there any sort of gear that would be particularly good to have on hand? I expect gloves to be critical during the winter, will any set do or will they need to have good grip and be able to take a beating?
Once you get used to it, it's not too bad...

images

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you're handling packages you need to get the kind of gloves with the rubber dots in the palms. Makes it easier to grip packages and keeps your hands clean. Don't spend too much on them though because they'll start stinking soon enough. Maybe buy a pack with multiple pairs of gloves.

dudebro

OP is a new hire. He'll be on a belly crew. Don't worry, you'll be protected from the elements loading and unloading in a three-foot-high space at the back of the aircraft.

They provide you with heated gloves, hat, jacket and long johns.

And pizza parties every day with on-call masseuses?

So after my second day, definitely need those gloves, if only to keep my hands their original color. Haven't seen how big the bellies of the planes are yet, I've been inside the whole time. I feel like it's going to suck seeing as how small and medium cans already force me to awkwardly crouch. At least I'm not claustrophobic.

Indecisi0n

And pizza parties every day with on-call masseuses?

So after my second day, definitely need those gloves, if only to keep my hands their original color. Haven't seen how big the bellies of the planes are yet, I've been inside the whole time. I feel like it's going to suck seeing as how small and medium cans already force me to awkwardly crouch. At least I'm not claustrophobic.
In that cold your definitely going to get shrinkage.