New hire but not paying union dues??

Asher513

I'm a new hire for preload and was told that my union status would be immediate and I would start paying dues right away.
My second pay stub comes in and no dues. Nada.
I talked to my rep and he said he'd talk to the business rep but he doesn't come in for another week.
I'm going to call the union directly and try to get this BS sorted out.
Is this common? And any suggestions on how to handle it quickly? I dont want to have to pay my missed dues in a lump sum. Plus with the COVID pandemic I'm worried about what may happen if I'm not protected by the union if I get sick etc etc.

Box Handler of Dallas

I'm a new hire for preload and was told that my union status would be immediate and I would start paying dues right away.
I talked to my rep and he said he'd talk to the business rep but he doesn't come in for another week.
Is this common? And any suggestions on how to handle it quickly? I dont want to have to pay my missed dues in a lump sum. Plus with the COVID pandemic I'm worried about what may happen if I'm not protected by the union if I get sick etc etc.

Last I checked, you had to have 30 working days (about 45 calendar days) to make book/gain seniority. Once you have that, then your dues comes out of your check each week.

D

Deleted member 77202

As far as I know, you have to work 30 days before they will even consider you for the Union.

If you get called in to work five days per week (which is unlikely when you're brand new) for six weeks straight, then you worked your 30 days.

However, it usually takes a lot longer to work 30 days because I've never seen them call in a new person to work that much. Usually, you'll work three days per week for ten weeks to get to 30.

Then, about two weeks after that, you'll get a big manila envelope in the mail from your local Teamsters office.
Then, you'll fill out the forms and have to send in your initiation dues (about $100).

AFTER ALL THAT, then you'll receive a 'congratulations, you're in the Union letter'.

It's a several-months-long process.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
As far as I know, you have to work 30 days before they will even consider you for the Union.

If you get called in to work five days per week (which is unlikely when you're brand new) for six weeks straight, then you worked your 30 days.

However, it usually takes a lot longer to work 30 days because I've never seen them call in a new person to work that much. Usually, you'll work three days per week for ten weeks to get to 30.

Then, about two weeks after that, you'll get a big manila envelope in the mail from your local Teamsters office.
Then, you'll fill out the forms and have to send in your initiation dues (about $100).

AFTER ALL THAT, then you'll receive a 'congratulations, you're in the Union letter'.

You work in a :censored2:hole

What'dyabringmetoday???

Thirty calendar days here. But the business agent is useless. Allows people to work over a year before getting them in the union. As long as he gets his fat paycheck in his fat hands he's happy.

Asher513

I work Tuesday through Saturday right now and am coming up on my 30 days.

My dues are $500 total. Some folks are saying they will make me pay it in full. I don't want to be surprised one week when my paycheck is $0.

Fingers crossed after my 3 days I'll get a letter and still have some money for that paycheck.

Poop Head

Judge me.
What kinda boots are those?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Article 3 Section 2 of the NMA

"All present employees who are not members of the Local Union and all employees who are hired hereafter, shall become and remain members in good standing of the Local Union as a condition of employment on and after the thirty-frst (31st) day following the beginning of their employment, or on and after the thirty-frst (31st) day following the effective date of this subsection, or the date of this Agreement, whichever is the later. An employee who has failed to acquire, or thereafter maintain, membership in the Union, as herein provided, shall be terminated seventy-two (72) hours after the Employer has received written notice from an au- thorized representative of the Local Union, certifying that mem- bership has been, and is continuing to be offered to such employ- ees on the same basis as all other members, and further that the employee has had notice and opportunity to make all dues or initi- ation fee payments. This provision shall be made and become ef- fective as of such time as it may be made and become effective under the provision of the National Labor Relations Act, but not retroactively."