New Hire Doing Driver Training class

czalinsky

So I finished Driver Training class recently and this has been on my mind. Why Would UPS have an Off the Street New Hire in HR Training us to be Drivers? I know most of it was just reading off a screen but it doesn't sound very effective to me. Almost like in my center when they have new hires (THAT KNOW NOTHING) become Supervisors. SAY WHAT!!! How are they going to teach someone how to load when they don't even know?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
So I finished Driver Training class recently and this has been on my mind. Why Would UPS have an Off the Street New Hire in HR Training us to be Drivers? I know most of it was just reading off a screen but it doesn't sound very effective to me. Almost like in my center when they have new hires (THAT KNOW NOTHING) become Supervisors. SAY WHAT!!! How are they going to teach someone how to load when they don't even know?

I couldn't stop laughing after the first sentence of driver training class (which would actually impart there is some training on how to drive the truck...oops car.) The class should be called "How to read a Powerpoint aloud and not have your students fall asleep" If they could actually teach, they wouldn't need those fancy Powerpoints.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
YOULL LEARN THE RIDICULOUSNESS SOON YOUNGBLOOD TRUST ME lol.

Z

ZQXC

How old are you? doing some research.

25, or younger?

PT Car Washer

Have a hub guy getting ready to go through in house driving school. Told him to forget about seasonal and go for NDA exception and Saturday Air Driver. Instead of cut rate seasonal driver rate go for top driver rate anytime you deliver or pick up ground. There will be a lot of work this peak. Especially when the new hires and seasonal drivers see what the job is all about. They will be dropping like flies.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Have a hub guy getting ready to go through in house driving school. Told him to forget about seasonal and go for NDA exception and Saturday Air Driver. Instead of cut rate seasonal driver rate go for top driver rate anytime you deliver or pick up ground. There will be a lot of work this peak. Especially when the new hires and seasonal drivers see what the job is all about. They will be dropping like flies.
I wouldn't doubt these young boys quitting after seeing well more than 200 stops a day, bad part about it 200 stops aint that bad really lol.

PT Car Washer

Money starts out a bit slow but after 2 years and you hit top rate you will be glad you did it. Currently top rate is $26.14 and during the week you may be able to pick up some ground work at $33.69 an hour.

aries4270

So I will be starting training this week as a package car driver. Any tips. Heard ups doesn't use gps so you have to know areas well. Is this true ? Thanks for any response

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Heard ups doesn't use gps so you have to know areas well. Is this true ? Thanks for any response

They will throw you to the wolves going out blind. Just before you get to know the route, they will do it again on another route. They will do this until you have been cycled through each route then they will re-loop your center so that you will have to start all over.

If you are lucky enough to get a bid route after all this, then they will start you off thinking it is an easy 8hr day for the first couple of weeks. Soon you will be having new areas added to your route which will turn into 8-13hr days and just to make sure you are serious about staying at UPS, they will send you out after you have completed your own work to "help" (slight sound of laughter here) others who cannot complete their own work because of everything that I just mentioned.

Oh, you're just now starting driving school, forget everything I just said I was kidding. UPS will route you perfectly and most days are going to only be 8hrs. It's a great job the middle and upper managers are very good to the drivers and are always willing to help out. Xmas is really the only time things get a little busy but again, management is really good about getting us staffed so we are not breaking our backs. I have never felt more appreciated and part of a team than I do working for UPS. Good luck in driving school and welcome aboard!