new hire for automotive fleet sup

P

pickup

Based on your question, I would guess ther person supervises the automotive fleet.

One of your duties would be to ensure having none of the most commonly replaced truck parts in your inventory so that a simple breakdown turns into an expensive tow job.

Also must have the ability to pick up a phone and call the parts supplier to drive the needed part to you as soon as possible so that one of the mechanics can fix the now towed vehicle sitting on property so that it can be driven the next day.

Must also have the ability to not care that the delivered part cost three times more than if the same part were already in your inventory.

Rinse and repeat.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Then give the mechanic a hard time for taking so long repairing the unavailable part in order to put the car back on the road rather than waiting several days.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
And what to expect?
th

Gear

Parts on Order
Around me, auto sups are in charge of 5 different centers. You could have mechs with 1 year to 20+ years. I see my supervisor every couple of months, most communication is done through emails or phone calls. I prefer it this way. Sups rotate centers every couple of years. Seems like most like the job, alot of dumb paperwork. UPS doesnt run their "shops" like a normal repair center. We dont stock alot of parts. Some centers carry this, some that, we waste alot of time calling other centers to have parts shipped from A to B. Most of our training is, belt safety, lifting techniques and how many times you beep the horn while backing a truck up. There is no mechanical training, just how many times to beep the friend$$cking horn. The vehicles range from the early 90s to today, diesel, gas, CNG/LNG, who knows what else. I wouldnt be surprised if we are still running horse drawn carriages somewhere.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Don't forget all the hazmat/package training time we waste. Not my job. I'm walking away (leaving area) and telling somebody else about it whose job it IS.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Around me, auto sups are in charge of 5 different centers. You could have mechs with 1 year to 20+ years. I see my supervisor every couple of months, most communication is done through emails or phone calls. I prefer it this way. Sups rotate centers every couple of years. Seems like most like the job, alot of dumb paperwork. UPS doesnt run their "shops" like a normal repair center. We dont stock alot of parts. Some centers carry this, some that, we waste alot of time calling other centers to have parts shipped from A to B. Most of our training is, belt safety, lifting techniques and how many times you beep the horn while backing a truck up. There is no mechanical training, just how many times to beep the friend$$cking horn. The vehicles range from the early 90s to today, diesel, gas, CNG/LNG, who knows what else. I wouldnt be surprised if we are still running horse drawn carriages somewhere.
The bean counters methods about parts dictatates the way it is. The time value of a car on the road versus sitting is not figured into it at all. All they care about is the abstract concept of inventory costs.